Guy in ticket queue in front of me, ejected

Guest brandycoke

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the time has come for random wristband checks and more stringent checks of traders and service trucks.

I commented to a friend during the festival that the pass out system is now impossible to crack. However thinking about it after reading this thread, all that's needed is a dodgy steward who allows "friends" in or steals aload of pass out tickets and wrist bands.

I went in and out of gate D many times and I don't recall anyone ever looking at my wrist or checking my band to ensure it was secure.

They did check my photo most times though and asked for my shades to be removed once or twice.

Could it be possible that there were forged tickets or crew laminates knocking about. Is everyone on site meant to be wearing wristbands including all crew & performers ?

When does site security come it to action ? Maybe some gain entry early and hang about with friends working there until the action starts.

Maybe the time has come for random wristband checks and more stringent checks of traders and service trucks.

I commented to a friend during the festival that the pass out system is now impossible to crack. However thinking about it after reading this thread, all that's needed is a dodgy steward who allows "friends" in or steals aload of pass out tickets and wrist bands.

I went in and out of gate D many times and I don't recall anyone ever looking at my wrist or checking my band to ensure it was secure.

They did check my photo most times though and asked for my shades to be removed once or twice.

Could it be possible that there were forged tickets or crew laminates knocking about. Is everyone on site meant to be wearing wristbands including all crew & performers ?

When does site security come it to action ? Maybe some gain entry early and hang about with friends working there until the action starts.

Had someone else's ticket. Looked a bit like him mind, but was cacking it. Went in, looked at ticket then back at me, then UV, but went through the motions really, small picture and all. I went at peak time having walked/qued for near on 2 hours to get there from E10 on weds from 1.30-3.30, i was sweaty and horrible, there were hundred behind me and the others, if she kicked up a fuss, it would have just caused furore amongst the others behind probably, and eaten up alot of time 'cos i would have kicked up a bit of a fuss about it.

I mean peak time they are just trying to get through it all, can't take much time over it. Everyone just wanted to get through and if they had got stopped a riot probs would have ensued cos everyone was so tetchey having qued and walked for such a long time.

Although, defo not gonna go through that again.

Not saying I agree with it but the "sneak in" is very easy due to once your in your. No further checks all it takes is a quick wristband change go out collect a friend and give it to them. If the License is in danger then its time for checks during it. Seem a lot of people walking about without any on

No time for the freeloaders and I would dob them in if I saw them and there was security near enough to do something. It is my opinion that the chances of them being thieves is there and I feel that its part of my responsibility to prevent people being robbed, this sadly happened to a large number of tents around where I was camped. This is why I wouldn't give my wristband to anyone asking for it. I was asked every time I went to the car park if I was going home and if so culd they have my wristband.

A group of 6 kids were caught theiving, maybe they were part of that caravan of 12.

I would evict WUMs from forums as well

Didn't witness eviction but we were in a bad situation ourselves, having managed to genuinely lose our hospitality tickets within the 200 yards in front of PG A/hospitality gate, on Wed. Thought we were going home, but the stewarts and info point crew sorted us out and re-printed the tickets. Big thanks goes to them.

Security was pretty tight around the incident and general ticket checks. We needed the receipt for having purchased the tickets (thank god I brought these), and I believe they also checked with the company we booked with. We were then made visually known to the supervisor at the hospitality gate (else we couldn't leave the site), given a wristband and told to be back at the gate for supervisor shift change , and then again to pick up the newly printed duplicate tickets. At every exit/entry from/to the site our photo IDs were checked for matching the names on the tickets (because hospitality tics don't have photos).

Exactly were have I said that? You are the one making unsubstantiated claims about massive amounts of people getting into the festival for nothing and making alarmist comments along the lines that not reporting people who have managed to get around the ticketing system will mean that the festival will be gone forever.

Pulling you up on this makes apparently makes me both stupid and a troll, I can roll my eyes too. :rolleyes:

I have nothing more to say on this thread. I forgot the #1 rule of being a web forum masterperson - thou are never wrong.

:rolleyes:

There is a licence with a set number.

There is the festival, which allocates ever single one of the tickets for that number.

So tell me: where is the space for even one unticketed person without the very real potential for the licenced number to be exceeded?

You have nothing more to say? Good. You've had nothing sensible to say anyway. Trying to justify unticketed entry as you have been doing is an impossibility, unless your wish is to end the festival.

You forgot the #1 rule of posting: having something sensible to say.

I was walking back from Shangri-La about 7am in the morning, we were camped in the football field the west side of the site, as we were walking we noticed a black man jumping over the fence, he ran across the football field and to the safety of the tents!

i am sure i can speak for myself and all other PAYING punters who work hard all year to pay for their ticket and get in the right way by saying that people who con/bribe or get in any other illegitimate way without paying are scum.

why should they have a great weekend for f**k all, as said above with big numbers doing this capacity problems could happen and this can affect future licenses. The fact is whether you like it or not Glasto has changed, you can't just pop in under/over the fence anymore, work hard like the rest of us and do it the right way or just stay at home!

Sorry, rant over. Just pisses me off when folks get away with this kind of stuff.....

Edited by headshrinker1979

Not saying I agree with it but the "sneak in" is very easy due to once your in your. No further checks all it takes is a quick wristband change go out collect a friend and give it to them. If the License is in danger then its time for checks during it. Seem a lot of people walking about without any on

Having gone in and out a few times to take stuff to and from the car, they did definitely seem to be a lot more attentive with checking photos this year. Even to the point of targeting people wearing sunglasses/hats etc, and making them remove them.

Hi, I was an Oxfam steward supervisor on Pedestrian Gate A at Glasto. I've found this thread interesting reading. I'd just like to add a few comments from the perspective of someone who's job it was to check the tickets and wristbands.

Why are we so strict? For the simple reason that, as various people have pointed out, Glastonbury's licence depends on it. The festival has to demonstrate to Mendip Council that it is keeping the non-ticket holders out. Failure to do so has come close to losing Glasto its licence in the past, and could do so again if the festival isn't seen to get to grips with the gatecrashers.

And the council aren't just taking our word for it that we're doing a thorough job. They send through plain-clothes spotters who are secretly watching us to make sure we're doing what we're supposed to. In addition, the festival sends its own mystery shoppers through the gates. Some of those mystery shoppers will have fake photos on their tickets to see if we spot them.

Oxfam has its own reasons for needing to be seen to do it properly. Oxfam made over £1 million from festival stewarding last year, and this is money that goes straight to the Third World. So Oxfam wants to keep its stewarding contract with the Glastonbury Festival, and therefore needs to show we can provide a professional stewarding service.

So, for anyone on eBay who tells you "they don't check photo ID"...Sorry, but think again. We check the photo, we ask people to take their sunglasses and hats off, we check the ticket holograms, we check the pass out holograms we give the wristband a little tug to check it hasn't been taken off and then put on somebody else's wrist. I can't guarantee we catch every gatecrasher, but we catch a hell of a lot. If you buy off an eBay tout, there's a VERY strong likelihood that all you'll get for your money is a long journey home.

I know it seems harsh, but it's necessary to secure the future of the festival, and if there's one thing us Oxfam stewards have in common, it's that we all love festivals.

Kind of similar to me. I was wearing a market pass, however it was not stapled in so it could come off any minute. I was right at the front for muse, and you know how have to have a mosh pit I was in the middle of it and lost my wristband. :(. So for Sunday I had to wear a long sleeved hoodie all day while sweating like a pig to hide my wrist. Luckily on Monday I managed to sneak out of Ped Gate B with no Pass. Just walked out the gate without security taking a glance at me. Next year I'll get it stapled in!

they didn't even look at me and i had a hat and shades on. two of my mates got in one of which used my ticket and the other didn't even know the ticket holders post code, it's just luck of the draw really I'll always try and buy my ticket though before I resort to anything like that.

Hi, I was an Oxfam steward supervisor on Pedestrian Gate A at Glasto. I've found this thread interesting reading. I'd just like to add a few comments from the perspective of someone who's job it was to check the tickets and wristbands.

Why are we so strict? For the simple reason that, as various people have pointed out, Glastonbury's licence depends on it. The festival has to demonstrate to Mendip Council that it is keeping the non-ticket holders out. Failure to do so has come close to losing Glasto its licence in the past, and could do so again if the festival isn't seen to get to grips with the gatecrashers.

And the council aren't just taking our word for it that we're doing a thorough job. They send through plain-clothes spotters who are secretly watching us to make sure we're doing what we're supposed to. In addition, the festival sends its own mystery shoppers through the gates. Some of those mystery shoppers will have fake photos on their tickets to see if we spot them.

Oxfam has its own reasons for needing to be seen to do it properly. Oxfam made over £1 million from festival stewarding last year, and this is money that goes straight to the Third World. So Oxfam wants to keep its stewarding contract with the Glastonbury Festival, and therefore needs to show we can provide a professional stewarding service.

So, for anyone on eBay who tells you "they don't check photo ID"...Sorry, but think again. We check the photo, we ask people to take their sunglasses and hats off, we check the ticket holograms, we check the pass out holograms we give the wristband a little tug to check it hasn't been taken off and then put on somebody else's wrist. I can't guarantee we catch every gatecrasher, but we catch a hell of a lot. If you buy off an eBay tout, there's a VERY strong likelihood that all you'll get for your money is a long journey home.

I know it seems harsh, but it's necessary to secure the future of the festival, and if there's one thing us Oxfam stewards have in common, it's that we all love festivals.