Football 2010-2011

Guest eFestivals

Dont get me wrong o neil had faults but when manager goes there is a tendancy to look at the previous managers faults and just assume the new man can do better. Lets not forget the likely candidates to replace o neil are all out of work for a reason as well. the benchmark that o neil has set will be hard to follow. My opinion is his succesor will do worse than him. I think O neil has left at the right time.

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eFestivals

• The Nal

• TheGayTent

• ampersand

While I agree Given is better than any keeper at Arsenal, he still wouldn't be the kind of keeper they need. No command over a defence, and wouldn't give a lot of confidence to players in front of him. Arsenal tend to concede a lot of goals from not many shots on target if I remember correctly. Givens best when he's being hammered by shots from every direction. That wouldn't happen with Arsenal.

Spend as much as it'd take to get Neuer or Adler. Or ideally, Buffon.

I agree. We've not had a really commanding keeper since crazy Jens left, and we've had real defensive problems ever since. The thing is I just don't see us spending big money on a keeper so any improvement would be welcomed. Wengers biggest fault (in terms of finding new players before people start :P ) has always been in spotting keepers.

Yeah that proves it. :rolleyes:

His "its my dream to play for Barca" comments may have an influence. No?

Apparently hes going to Benfica now anyway.

He can't move anywhere at all unless a team bids. Did Utd bid? ;)

It seems pretty clear to me that Fergie watching him the other night was to say "run down your contract then sign for Utd".

He's a more than decent player, who is/was going to end up at one of the leading clubs. If a player like that is available for less than £10M - which is obviously is - then any of those leading clubs would put in a bid if they have the money and they're half confident of landing the player.

So either Utd don't have the money, or they've zero confidence of getting him regardless of what they might bid.... but if they had that zero confidence of getting him, Fergie wouldn't have gone and watched him. So it's the money.

Edited by eFestivals

It seems pretty clear to me that Fergie watching him the other night was to say "run down your contract then sign for Utd".

He's a more than decent player, who is/was going to end up at one of the leading clubs. If a player like that is available for less than £10M - which is obviously is - then any of those leading clubs would put in a bid if they have the money and they're half confident of landing the player.

So either Utd don't have the money, or they've zero confidence of getting him regardless of what they might bid.... but if they had that zero confidence of getting him, Fergie wouldn't have gone and watched him. So it's the money.

Or he decided he didnt want to make a bid after watching him at Fulham....Or he was there watching how Fulham are playing as they were a bogey team last season and Utd play them early on.

Both possible I guess, but not the opinion in just about all press reports which commented on him watching that match.

You only have to see the posts in this very thread to see the strong hopes of Utd fans in landing him, so I doubt there were even many Utd fans (before today at least) who didn't think Fergie was there specifically to watch Ozil.

Both possible I guess, but not the opinion in just about all press reports which commented on him watching that match.

You only have to see the posts in this very thread to see the strong hopes of Utd fans in landing him, so I doubt there were even many Utd fans (before today at least) who didn't think Fergie was there specifically to watch Ozil.

Well this is the official word from Ferguson, after the Charity shield game

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_6301403,00.html

I'd not seen reports of those comments previously, so perhaps that's how it is.

Then again, Fergie has never been scared of telling porkies, so perhaps it isn't. The porkie telling is a part of the problem all round.