2011 Lineup

Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may think that album sales mean very little, but they do have an effect.

In the past ten years, so 30 headliners, only 7 acts have been announced as headliners without having a number 1 UK album to their name. Of those Arcade Fire rectified that before the festival. The other 6 (and their highest charting album by the time of the festival): Blink-182 (4), Smashing Pumpkins (4), Pearl Jam (2), Pixies (2), Green Day (4), Foo Fighters [2002] (3).

No act has headlined R&L in the past ten years without an album that charted at at least #4 in the UK charts, with the clear majority having had a #1 charting album.

In the past ten years, so 30 headliners, only 7 acts have been announced as headliners without having a number 1 UK album to their name. Of those Arcade Fire rectified that before the festival. The other 6 (and their highest charting album by the time of the festival): Blink-182 (4), Smashing Pumpkins (4), Pearl Jam (2), Pixies (2), Green Day (4), Foo Fighters [2002] (3).

No act has headlined R&L in the past ten years without an album that charted at at least #4 in the UK charts, with the clear majority having had a #1 charting album.

Oops - hands held up - no idea how I skipped past Rage, and was was scanning quickly for The Strokes so counted First Impressions of Earth which obviously wasn't released in 2002. RATM still got to #4 with Evil Empire, and Is This it was #2 for The Strokes, so although it weakens the "#1 albums argument" the "Not below #4 argument" is still valid.

Just checked it myself and there's also Linkin Park not having a no.1 when announced. Also Iron Madien hadn't had a no.1 album for 13 years before they headline & Guns N Roses didn't have a no.1 10 years & 19 years.

Back to MCR, The Black Parade had a chart postion of no.2 which goes with your thoery.

Muse

Elbow

The Offspring

Wolfmother

Cage The Elephant

Funeral For A Friend

Frank Turner

-----------------------

Jimmy Eat World

Crystal Castles

Two-Door Cinema Club

Noah And The Whale

The Strokes

Pulp

The Streets

Iggy & The Stooges

We Are Scientists

The Subways

The Joy Formidable

----------------------

Interpol

The National

Friendly Fires

The Vaccines

My Chemical Romance

Soundgarden

30 Seconds To Mars

Deftones

Alice In Chains

Dropkick Murphys

Rise Against

-----------------------

White Lies

The View

Foals

Dinosaur Pile-Up

Edited by mrtourette

It's safe to say Offspring won't headline as that commone sense but chart postions are useless, as bands aren't booked based on sales/chart postions. It's like saying when people die they stop breathing therefore not breathing is the cause of death.

Using last years line up the based on bands last album sales the headliner should be Paramore, Blink 182 & Libertines. Based on most recent chart postions the headliners would of been Pendulum, Paramore & Libertines.

At the same time Dizzee highest chart psotion is no.3 yet his last album have gone platinum at the same time Aracde Fire have a no.1 album but The Suburbs is only gold or Biffy as Puzzle charted at no. 2 but went gold but Only Revolutions charted at no.3 yet is platinum.

I would be happy if Blur were making an appearance although I doubt it. I would be happy with The Strokes, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Muse. I am more curious about the sub-headliners though as I preferred a lot of the sub-headliners to the headliners last year.