Guest Hart Attack

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FRIDAY

MAIN STAGE

The Strokes

Pulp - I know Neil has said Pulp then Strokes but I just dont see it. The exact same thing happened in 2002.

Florence And The Machine - still think she would be second headlining the festival now. She was arguably the biggest headliner at Latitude this year.

Mumford & Sons

Glasvegas

White Lies

The Hold Steady - not big enough for this slot

Bombay Bicycle Club - bigger than the Hold Steady

The Young Knives

Wiley

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

MGMT - if they get out a new album in time tis possible. Doubt they will bother if they don't have a new one.

The Temper Trap - for some reason don't see those two in a row but right spot.

SATURDAY

MAIN STAGE

Blur - don't see it unfortunately

The Prodigy - for some reason don't see it but ofc Neil has better info than me.

The Offspring - would be much better off at Soni as would get a bigger slot and prob a more receptive crowd.

No Doubt - would have to play higher than this.

Rancid - doubt them and Dropkicks in a row.. seems tooo punk for mainstage Reading. Would say Dropkicks are easily most likely out of the two.

Dropkick Murphys

The Subways

Streetlight Manifeston - no way big enough to have this high a slot

Airbourne - soooooo much bigger than Streetlight Manifesto it's ridiculous. This Saturday looks really really strange.

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

Vampire Weekend - would have thought they would be taking time off by then and would guess they would do mainstage.

Crystal Castles - will do a maccabees and do main stage I reckon.

SUNDAY

MAIN STAGE

Muse

My Chemical Romance

30 Seconds To Mars - pretty certain would second headline.

Bullet For My Valentine - be better off at Soni or even Download again.

Brand New - would love it but don't see why they would be touring europe.

Gallows - too high but if a new album is out could do main.. apparently demanded it at Download

Flogging Molly - waaaaay too high

Elliot Minor - too high.. prob never gonna happen on Reading main stage

One Night Only - very doubtful on this sort of day..

Cancer Bats - could happen but more likely to do this at download

NME/RADIO 1 STAGE

The Enemy - hmmm

Chase And Status

Edited by SOAD

Florence hasn't played main stage before @ R/L I'd say third from tops about right Dizze, Biffy & Weezer played here last year this slot all with bigger back catalogues and popular. If they played second top it would be a poor choice in my opinion, it would be a bit of a let down like Paramore last year who were billed to high for there ability. Especially if like last year there is only one 'indie' day and two heavier days and with bands like pulp, the manics available to fit inot these slots I could see florence being even further down the bill. Or headlining the tent when muse(providing it is them, green day maybe along those lines) are on.

Florence is definitely more popular than Weezer in the UK and her album has sold a hell of a lot more than any album by Dizzee or Biffy... she could go third headline but I think with Melvin letting her headline Latitude after only one album speaks enough. With another album under her belt (which will blatantly be very successful also) she would be more likely to second headline in my opinion

No Doubt you may have a point but I think only 3rd top at most but with Limp Bizkit, Cypress Hill, Lost Prophets & The cribs all playing that slot or below last year would suggest they could be there. I'd prefer them 3rd top.

I would argue No Doubt is a bigger band than any of the others you have mentioned. None of them could do a full arena tour now where as Gwen Stefani on her own can do an arena tour let alone her more popular band. No Doubt also headlined Bamboozle in the United States so surely they would get a decent slot in the UK (not suggesting they would headline just that they would need a decent slot in the UK also. Especially since it would probably be their only shows in the UK

30 Seconds to mars, I would hope they would play no higher than 3rd top. Not as big as Biffy, Dizze or Weezer imo. Plus went to see them live the other week and are one of the most Gimmicky bands going when it comes to the crowd, JL let the crowd sing most of the songs. I could see them 3-5th top or headlining NME.

30 Seconds to Mars have sold out two arena tours in the UK this year.. that's pretty huge. There is not a chance in the world they would go lower than third headline like you have suggested. Third minimum but I think they could do higher. They are about as big as Paramore.

Gallows have easily gotta be as big as you me at six who played there last year and people like Enter Shikari, plain white T's Serj also playing that slot recently I'd say there big enough.

Enter Shikari are much bigger than Gallows and have you not seen the sort of tours and how much media exposure YM@6 are getting atm? Plus Serj Tankian is from one of the biggest metal bands of all time ofc he would have to have a decent slot at a festival, especially one where his main band were extremely popular. Plus with Plain White T's doesn't Hey Delilah ring any bells? At the time that song was massive in the UK. Much bigger than any Gallows song could ever dream to be.

Edited by SOAD

Florence is definitely more popular than Weezer in the UK and her album has sold a hell of a lot more than any album by Dizzee or Biffy... she could go third headline but I think with Melvin letting her headline Latitude after only one album speaks enough. With another album under her belt (which will blatantly be very successful also) she would be more likely to second headline in my opinion

But the fact that they have less material to showcase is a real concern of mine, plus I think it would be another waste of a high slot, there is loads of media hype behind them but are they really that good? There best song is a cover, I just don't see there credentials for being that high up. Dizzee, Weezer and Biffy have worked for years, in a similar vein to placebo for the 3rd top slot. In my opinion it would be a wasted slot so high up. There is no doubt they will move up the bill but I personally think its too early to be that high.

I would argue No Doubt is a bigger band than any of the others you have mentioned. None of them could do a full arena tour now where as Gwen Stefani on her own can do an arena tour let alone her more popular band. No Doubt also headlined Bamboozle in the United States so surely they would get a decent slot in the UK (not suggesting they would headline just that they would need a decent slot in the UK also. Especially since it would probably be their only shows in the UK

Cypress Hill, Limp Bizkit and Lost Prophets have all played higher before though. I was agreeing in what you said about them playing higher though I was just pointing out that big bands have played there recently so its not out of the question that they could play there. I think its possible that all could do an arena tour, bar cypress hill and sell it. Especially as arena tours mean bot all these days.

30 Seconds to Mars have sold out two arena tours in the UK this year.. that's pretty huge. There is not a chance in the world they would go lower than third headline like you have suggested. Third minimum but I think they could do higher. They are about as big as Paramore.

30STM was no where near sold out when I went to see them @ Newcastle Arena, I'd say 1/2 to 2/3rds full. Plus they were charging £22 which is next to nothing for an arena tour. Promoters these days are wiser and bands that should only really be doing Academy size tours at around £25-£30 a ticket are being bumped up to Arena venues for a cheaper price and selling more. Its all money making so instead of 2000 people @ £30 a ticket there getting 6000-8000 people at £22 a ticket, simple maths and make more money. And as I say Paramore were way out of there depth last year in the slot they were, they were shown up by Limp, Cypress, Weezer who all put on better displays prior to them. Bands need to be booked on ability(within reason as they still have to be popular) a bit more especially that far up the bill. Someone like The Offspring would be a much better choice than 30STM in a higher up slot. Another case of too big too quick IMO.

Enter Shikari are much bigger than Gallows and have you not seen the sort of tours and how much media exposure YM@6 are getting atm? Plus Serj Tankian is from one of the biggest metal bands of all time ofc he would have to have a decent slot at a festival, especially one where his main band were extremely popular. Plus with Plain White T's doesn't Hey Delilah ring any bells? At the time that song was massive in the UK. Much bigger than any Gallows song could ever dream to be.

My point is it is not a decent slot, its in no way beyond the gallows at all. Plain white T's get a decent slot on the back of 1 hit. Come on they were doing the same sized venues as the Gallows are now, same as Enter Shikari. Plus there massively popular with R&L however they have played at least the last 3 in a row maybe 4. Including secret slots. I don't think they will be back next year but to say they couldn't play there is wrong imo.

Edited by kev1664

I can't be bothered debating about it more tbh the only things I will say is I did a events management degree I don't need a lecture on ticket pricing and the elasticity of demand. My point about 30 Seconds To Mars was they sold their full allocation of tickets unfortunately I was not able to go to every show to see how much that allocation was. All I could base it on was Cardiff where they have sold out the whole venue twice. Personally I think 13-14k seeing your band in one city in a year is pretty decent. I would imagine it was comparable or alot more in all the cities they did more than one date, for example from the videos I've seen the Manchester MEN looked pretty packed out when they played it back in february so I would assume the central venue was packed also considering it is a smaller venue (still a large arena) and sold out its allocation very quickly. Selling out arenas doesn't mean as much as it once did but its not an easy thing to do for example I couldnt see The Cribs selling out an arena tour any time soon and yet they fourth headlined Reading.

Regarding my line-up...

I agree that Florence And The Machine and 30 Seconds To Mars could both do 2nd, but I had to squeeze them into 3rd because I can't see Pulp or MCR playing any lower than 2nd.

No Doubt played 4th at TITP and I think lower at Glasto in 2002 (I think it was?), and they've not got any bigger since. I know they are an arena-sized band though, but again, I'd say the three bands above them are all bigger, or would at least draw bigger crowds.

Gallows are big enough for a mid Main Stage slot I reckon. Plus their last album charted higher than Modest Mouse's.

I don't see why they would worry about the Main Stage seeming too Punk regarding Dropkicks and Rancid back to back. I'm sure people on here wouldn't mind anyway. :P Would only strengthen the line-up I suppose.

Couldn't think of anyone else to put in Flogging Molly's spot.

I thought rather than just commenting on other people's lineups I should probably post my updated one:

Friday

Main

My Chemical Romance

30 Seconds To Mars

Incubus

Jimmy Eat World

Feeder

Less Than Jake

Taking Back Sunday

The Used

Bring Me The Horizon

The Damned Things

NME

Elbow

Saturday

Main

The Strokes

Pixies or Pulp

Interpol

Mumford & Sons

Glasvegas

Plain White Ts

Bombay Bicycle Club

Frank Turner

The Horrors

Skindred

NME

The Streets

Sunday

Main

Muse

Franz Ferdinand

Editors

Crystal Castles

White Lies

Eagles of Death Metal

The Subways

The Blackout

Four Year Strong

NME

Magnetic Man

Err was I balls.

You done that yourself with that reply.

I was just pointing out that arena tours mean less than they used to when concering size of bands, due to promoters pushing them into bigger things too soon. I think because of that bands longevity and creativity is stifled, id much prefer a band to build up their sound and live performances by going through steady growth. Getting a reputation by producing good albums and being a strong live act.

That way bands are less throw-away and there output is not governed by the record label. Media hype and current fads produce this type of business.

Edited by SOAD

I think you are still underestimating arena tours here though. It's not like they happen all the time in fact often if you look at the schedule for arenas there are certainly not a large amount of rock/indie bands doing arena tours in the UK. For example looking at the schedule for the manchester evening news arena atm the bands of that type doing the arena are bands like James, My Chemical Romance, Elbow, Rush, Journey, Roger Waters, Blink 182, Iron Maiden. All of those have been around a fairly decent amount of time now (less so with My Chem but they still have four albums under their belt). It's more of a problem in the pop realm granted but it's been that way for ages in that genre. I would still say arena tours are a very important means of telling how big a band is.

BTW you are totally right in some ways it is better for bands to build up to playing arenas over a long period of time so they can build up a show and a credible back catalogue. However, if they pull it off they pull it off. Arcade Fire did an arena tour off the back of their second album (an album earlier than 30 seconds to mars did theirs) and it was absolutely incredible as was the recent one on their third album tour.

Edited by kev1664

Too true regarding arcade fire. Having seen both though there's a sheer gulf between the quality in musicians in there ability with there instruments, arcade fires sound is huge.

I also think in most cases American bands mostly get the push due to size in there own countries and the lack of appearances in this country.

I know what you mean about r/l not being able to draw the big acts in meaning these bands will be promoted to subs. But I still hold out hope that they will play 3rd top instead of sub. My main point was they could play in the lower spots vck had put them in.

I'm fearful for the lineup this year however I thought the main stage 2010 had a lot of appealing bands 3rd to 6th and in some cases beyond.

I quite liked how 2010 headliners allowed a better main stage undercard. Wasn't really impressed by the NME though last year. I think 09 was balanced better.

Edited by SOAD

I thought 2008 was a well balanced line-up, three huge headliners, with bands like Feeder, Slipknot (before they pulled out), QOTSA and Biffy Clyro, all bands with sizeable back catalogues, in high slots. Of course you did have the token Indie waste of a high slot bands like The Enemy and The Fratellis but on the whole, strongest line-up since 2005 IMO.

2009 was a bit of a mess of a line-up IMO. Ironic as it was possibly the best Leeds I'd been to but I'd felt like the ordering had been messed up and apart from Placebo and Ian Brown I didn't think there was much "strength" below the 2nd headliners.

headliners: Beastie Boys, My Chemichal Romance, greenday / soundgarden

reading and leeds, more often than not, have headliners that you cant see anywhere else in the uk

i dont see the strokes happening as they did their exclusives last year at IOW and rockness so this year i reckon, with a new album, they will be doing what blink will also be doing and hitting up as many festivals as possible, i dont see why they would limit themselves again to just 2 festivals when they could get booked by pretty much any other festival that wants them (can see them at T and oxegen as they are playing bennacasim the following week)

also muse have done all their touring for this album over the last 2 years they have pretty much played everywhere, dont think they wil be doing many gigs next year

I thought rather than just commenting on other people's lineups I should probably post my updated one:

Friday

Main

My Chemical Romance

30 Seconds To Mars

Incubus

Jimmy Eat World

Feeder

Less Than Jake

Taking Back Sunday

The Used

Bring Me The Horizon

The Damned Things

NME

Elbow

Saturday

Main

The Strokes

Pixies or Pulp

Interpol

Mumford & Sons

Glasvegas

Plain White Ts

Bombay Bicycle Club

Frank Turner

The Horrors

Skindred

NME

The Streets

Sunday

Main

Muse

Franz Ferdinand

Editors

Crystal Castles

White Lies

Eagles of Death Metal

The Subways

The Blackout

Four Year Strong

NME

Magnetic Man

headliners: Beastie Boys, My Chemichal Romance, greenday / soundgarden

reading and leeds, more often than not, have headliners that you cant see anywhere else in the uk

i dont see the strokes happening as they did their exclusives last year at IOW and rockness so this year i reckon, with a new album, they will be doing what blink will also be doing and hitting up as many festivals as possible, i dont see why they would limit themselves again to just 2 festivals when they could get booked by pretty much any other festival that wants them (can see them at T and oxegen as they are playing bennacasim the following week)

also muse have done all their touring for this album over the last 2 years they have pretty much played everywhere, dont think they wil be doing many gigs next year

• 1 month later...