Arcade Fire NME? Source?

Guest Andrinald

okay we'l agree to disagree....but out of all headliners who have played major festivals in the past i would always be able to name at least a couple of songs by them even if its a band i couldnt stand - just simply cos theyre huge. But i honestly could not name u a single AF song and with their highest chart position being 19 im sure im not the only one who couldnt. Faith No More headlined major festivals throughout europe last summer and drew a monster crowd at Download and are sited as a major influence to big rock acts today - they are pretty legendary

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how does it? What info have you got, and from where, to back that up?

I have a variety of proven sources, which are all telling me that they are. They could be wrong (there's been the occasional time they have been, tho even those ones could have been right at the time I was told them), but 99% of the time they're not.

I can rarely ever 100% guarantee what I'm told is accurate, because it's normally coming from unofficial sources (as is my R/L info). But history shows it's very very rarely wrong.

I made clear I wasn't fully confident in MCR - go read the piece again and you'll see that's the case.

Meanwhile, since Keese said about GnR, I've looked into it .... and one source has stated explicitly that they're playing, and another has given what, from reading between the lines, an extremely strong indication that it's right.

(again, the same applies as said above - they could be wrong, but they probably aren't).

That's because, if you were in the loops I'm in, you'd have known for a long while that they'd verbally agreed to play in 2011 and not 2010.

I've been passed some info in the last couple of days on why things have supposedly changed (and that they've changed fairly recently), and while I haven't been able to completely verify it as completely right, everything I've checked has indicated that it is.

erm .... bands very often don't know where they're playing themselves, so have even less info on where other bands are playing. :P

That's not me saying he's wrong, just that he could be. You deciding that he's 100% right on no basis gives your take on things ... erm ... no basis. :P

I know for sure that the Pearl Jam thing in today's Daily Star can be ignored completely. I know what they got told, who told them, and how come PJ got printed in error.

they'd have pulled some more, granted, but not a great number I suspect .... it's not like Download sold out cos they were on the bill, eh? In fact, I'm pretty sure it sold pretty poorly (compared to other years) last year.

It's not the case that FNM are legendary - niche, cult, yes ... but not legendary. They're not a massive draw.

I'll be honest, I'd actually never heard of Faith No More before last years R+L.

Neil - Is the only reason you believe Arcade Fire are headlining the Main Stage and not the tent because you think they are too big for the tent? I find it hard to believe that Arcade Fire would be headlining the Main Stage ahead of the Libertines purely on the basis of the amount of publicity that this will generate. You said yourself that bands don't necessarily know what stage they are on when they are booked. So they may have been booked as headliners, but still be on the NME stage.

they'd have pulled some more, granted, but not a great number I suspect .... it's not like Download sold out cos they were on the bill, eh? In fact, I'm pretty sure it sold pretty poorly (compared to other years) last year.

It's not the case that FNM are legendary - niche, cult, yes ... but not legendary. They're not a massive draw.

although i have a feeling arcade fire will be putting in an appearance on main stage like neil predicted, i dont think its entirely unlikely they could headline nme on sunday night.

obviously this is all just me speculating but if you class libertines and gnr as particularly unreliable potential headliners, makes sense you would include a plan b. at the moment its looking like arcade fire headlining so libertines isnt so much of a problem, but what about gnr? rumoured to have mcr under them? i dont think they could step up personally if required to play the festival closing slot.

You put arcade fire on the nme on the same day as gnr and if axl decides he doesnt like the weather in reading on the day or something, at least you know you have a massive band at reading/leeds on the currect day to step up and play mainstage headlining slot instead. as a band that deserves it, not one that got bumped up. leaving someone else ahead of libertines... most probably eminem?

bumping up a sub headling nme band to nme headliner wouldnt cause nearly as many problems, perhaps maccabees (sp?) or someone who arnt really big enough, yet could.

obviously there would be a lot of dissapointed fans, but it would sort of save the festival. and i think arcade fire could play the nme against gnr on main without too much crowding issues. gnr will pull a massive crowd. I personally love arcade fire, but as many people have said before, when talking to my friends, who most of them even went in 07, non of them had heard of arcade fire, and certainly couldnt name a song from them (having gone to see biffy instead, i saw arcade fire) they are huge, but i dont think that huge, the name isnt a ticket seller as is the case with almost all reading headliners.

anyway as i said, this is just me wildly speculating, but i wouldnt write it off, it does make sense to me, even if i cant see it happening

Edited by r0w

I'll be honest, I'd actually never heard of Faith No More before last years R+L.

Neil - Is the only reason you believe Arcade Fire are headlining the Main Stage and not the tent because you think they are too big for the tent? I find it hard to believe that Arcade Fire would be headlining the Main Stage ahead of the Libertines purely on the basis of the amount of publicity that this will generate. You said yourself that bands don't necessarily know what stage they are on when they are booked. So they may have been booked as headliners, but still be on the NME stage.

well, i couldn't name a single faith no more track. not one. and thats WITH me checking them out last year when the rumour mill kicked into them being announced.
Edited by gr4h4m

The reason I believe AF are headlining the main stage is because I've had info saying just that.

While from some angles the Libs might have automatically been above them I'd have thought that doing that could well be a leap of faith too far by the fest with a band & personnel which are notoriously unreliable. No festival would want to lose their headliner.

However, it could also be purely because the opportunity to book them came after the fest had already booked other headliners. I would think it would be considered bad form to go back to any of those bands and say "we don't want you to headline after all".

I don't think their position on the bill will make a lot of difference to the publicity the fest gets from having them - it'll be big news anyway, wherever they might play on the bill.

I don't think I've ever said that bands don't necessarily know what stage they are on when they are booked, tho I guess that might happen. What I have said is bands often don't know what they're up to, cos it's not normally the band themselves that deals with their bookings.

All the above aside, I do realise that info I've had from one direction could be confused over what stage they're actually headlining - but more a possibility than likely. Info I've had from another direction has explicitly stated main stage, and I've no reason to think that info is wrong, particularly this close to the announcement date.

Something else which has cropped up today from someone who 100% definitely knows everything that's being announced on Monday has also suggested that what I've said is right, tho I can't really take anything from that as it's quite possible I'm being played with from that direction.

Sorry but you're wrong. Andy Copping stated, even at the beginning of this year's announcements last year was an extremely successful year and FNM were a massive coup for many. I'm not even sure Download had ever sold out before last year. Last year it did sell out by early May, completely.

Sorry, but it's you that's wrong, at least in part.

Download very definitely didn't sell out - we check our ticket links at least weekly, and we never took the tickets off sale within our listing, and we never recieved a press release saying 'sold out' (and they'd have defo sent one out if it had).

As for "an extremely successful year", he's never going to say it was a shit one is he? :P

I don't dispute that FNM were a massive coup for many. That actually says very little in reality tho.

The reason I believe AF are headlining the main stage is because I've had info saying just that.

While from some angles the Libs might have automatically been above them I'd have thought that doing that could well be a leap of faith too far by the fest with a band & personnel which are notoriously unreliable. No festival would want to lose their headliner.

However, it could also be purely because the opportunity to book them came after the fest had already booked other headliners. I would think it would be considered bad form to go back to any of those bands and say "we don't want you to headline after all".

I don't think their position on the bill will make a lot of difference to the publicity the fest gets from having them - it'll be big news anyway, wherever they might play on the bill.

I don't think I've ever said that bands don't necessarily know what stage they are on when they are booked, tho I guess that might happen. What I have said is bands often don't know what they're up to, cos it's not normally the band themselves that deals with their bookings.

All the above aside, I do realise that info I've had from one direction could be confused over what stage they're actually headlining - but more a possibility than likely. Info I've had from another direction has explicitly stated main stage, and I've no reason to think that info is wrong, particularly this close to the announcement date.

Something else which has cropped up today from someone who 100% definitely knows everything that's being announced on Monday has also suggested that what I've said is right, tho I can't really take anything from that as it's quite possible I'm being played with from that direction.

Sorry, but it's you that's wrong, at least in part.

Download very definitely didn't sell out - we check our ticket links at least weekly, and we never took the tickets off sale within our listing, and we never recieved a press release saying 'sold out' (and they'd have defo sent one out if it had).

As for "an extremely successful year", he's never going to say it was a shit one is he? :P

I don't dispute that FNM were a massive coup for many. That actually says very little in reality tho.

Okay il take 'cult' :P . but i know a lot of people who went Download last year just because FNM were there.

I don't doubt that at all - I've sure there were thousands who were dead keen to see them.

And also didnt Download sell out in record time last yeah? It defently sold out and i know it defently didnt sell out the previous 2 years.

It didn't sell out last year.

Yet, he still doesn't deny that he could be wrong and AF may be headlining the NME stage.

Yep - because I can never be 100% certain about any info I get thru non-official channels. I'd be foolish to state it was 100% definite when I have no way of knowing that it actually is.

I could be wrong. But I don't think I am.

I PROMISE you 100% it sold out last year, via Download's official channels anyway, i think in the video they published Copping and Probyn say how good that was. It sold out, day tickets maybe not - weekend sold out, 100%

nope, only family camping and campervans sold out.

I have all the official info at my fingertips, and have just double-checked it all. Camping sold out (not just family, my apols for that error), and campervans sold out, but that's all.

From a download press release dated 5th June 2009:-

Day Tickets - £65

Weekend Tickets - £135

Car Park ­ £10 advance / £20 on day

Camping ­ £25 ­ SOLD OUT

Campervans - £40 ­ SOLD OUT

Lockers ­ £11

However, on 3rd June they released a further 2,500 camping tickets ... so it's possible that even the official info above is wrong because it hadn't been changed to reflect the extra camping tix.