Tuesday night car parking but no camping

Guest cabstar

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem is so many people will now arrive on the Tuesday night, and the queues to get in Wednesday morning will be huge! I know its better to queue on site rather than in cars on the road but... i just think it will still be mad. I think it'd be good to open the actual festival sight the night before. They wouldn't have to open any bars or anything. It'd just be good to get on site with my tent up and then get a good nights sleep before the festival starts.... doubt they'll do that though.

Problem is so many people will now arrive on the Tuesday night, and the queues to get in Wednesday morning will be huge! I know its better to queue on site rather than in cars on the road but... i just think it will still be mad. I think it'd be good to open the actual festival sight the night before. They wouldn't have to open any bars or anything. It'd just be good to get on site with my tent up and then get a good nights sleep before the festival starts.... doubt they'll do that though.

There's no way to open the festival for camping but not to open the "actual festival sight" - it's all within the same fence.

But doing so wouldn't really relieve any of the traffic problems - there's none of the festival happening on the Wednesday, yet tens of thousands turn up. So the same would be true if you could get inside on Tuesday night.

The car park idea works precisely because it's not hugely attractive to merely park up but be able to do nothing. By not being too attractive it means not everyone will want to do it, so traffic flows will be better spread.

Edited by eFestivals

I,m slightly confused by this.....does this mean that caravans /camper vans go in at 9 as well?. I thought they were to be allowed in at 12 to try and stop the congestion. I think this could all go a bit pear shaped with people arriving all through the night.

I,m slightly confused by this.....does this mean that caravans /camper vans go in at 9 as well?. I thought they were to be allowed in at 12 to try and stop the congestion.

presumably there's be some campervan info when Glastonbury are ready to give it.

Do not panic - you can't park your van for many months yet. :P

I think this could all go a bit pear shaped with people arriving all through the night.

people have been arriving all thru the night since at least 1986 (and probably a lot earlier) - so why is this year any different? :P

and I would guess it will mostly be the same people who were happy to sit in the que for hours last year, before the gates opened. So the main difference will be that all the punters clogging up the roads will simply be in a car park instead..??

my sister's already panicking that we won't be able to camp where we hope to if we arrive at our usual time... before midday on the wednesday. I'm guessing there won't be a lot of difference

I might be wrong :P

Nope, I suspect you've pretty much got it all spot on.

By Wednesday lunchtime there probably won't be many more on site than there were last year at that point. The keano's will arrive even earlier (but be off the roads), while those who are less fussed will arrive as they always have.

There's no way to open the festival for camping but not to open the "actual festival sight" - it's all within the same fence.

But doing so wouldn't really relieve any of the traffic problems - there's none of the festival happening on the Wednesday, yet tens of thousands turn up. So the same would be true if you could get inside on Tuesday night.

The car park idea works precisely because it's not hugely attractive to merely park up but be able to do nothing. By not being too attractive it means not everyone will want to do it, so traffic flows will be better spread.

I,m slightly confused by this.....does this mean that caravans /camper vans go in at 9 as well?. I thought they were to be allowed in at 12 to try and stop the congestion. I think this could all go a bit pear shaped with people arriving all through the night.

presumably there's be some campervan info when Glastonbury are ready to give it.

Do not panic - you can't park your van for many months yet. :P

Yes but I like my spot....just far enough from the bogs so they cant be smelt and close enough to the burger van so that I can get some chips to go with my bacon butty. :P

people have been arriving all thru the night since at least 1986 (and probably a lot earlier) - so why is this year any different? :P

So if it opens Tuesday 9PM, when will they stop letting people in? Because what if someone leaves specifically wanting to get there for 9PM but due to traffic are turned away being told to come back at 9AM Wednesday?

OR, do they mean you can come in the car park from then, just not go into the festival site?

The car park opens at 9pm Tuesday.

The gates into the festival open at (I think it is) 8am Wednesday.

Edited by eFestivals

I was officially 8am in 2009, albeit not sure what time in practice. West seemed to be at least 8:30 before the queues to get in moved.

Which takes me to what I think I recall from your article today, that entrance to the festival will be an hour early this year, at 8am. Might that mean 7am?

I didn't write that article, so you're asking the wrong person - I don't actually know, cos I haven't been paying attention to the fine details.