Glasto or Glastonbury? What's its name?

Guest jeffie

Climbs on soapbox, clears throat....

Personally I hate the word Glasto, it smacks of Jo Whiley, Fern Britton and immature kids.

Whereas Glastonbury is the real name of the festival......

Views anyone?

Climbs down and hides under soapbox.....

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Pilton Pop Festival :P

No but I know what you mean about glasto, while its shorter all the cool kids use it.

On another note slightly related , if you pronounced Glastonbury like in the julien temple film , you wouldn't really be able to call it glasto, it would be more glason I believe. (I can't remember right now, but I know it was different to how most people say it, at least most people I've heard say it)

I prefer Pilton Pop Festival :P

No but I know what you mean about glasto, while its shorter all the cool kids use it.

On another note slightly related , if you pronounced Glastonbury like in the julien temple film , you wouldn't really be able to call it glasto, it would be more glason I believe. (I can't remember right now, but I know it was different to how most people say it, at least most people I've heard say it)

Glasto - used by those for whom going to the festival is in itself the important thing and feel the need to tell everyone (including BBC presenters).

Glastonbury - used by those for who the festival is the important thing and don't care if anyone knows they are going or not.

Don't think it is true though.

As humans we categorize things and then make short hand versions, there is little meaning in it just laziness.

'United' - Manchester United

'Mike' - Michael

'Stones' - Rolling Stones

'T' - T in the Park

etc etc

Glastonbury is no different ergo 'Glasto'

Classtonbury! :P

But seriously...........who cares? We (people) do tend to shorten things and so be it! Hardly going to bother me. It didnt and still doesnt bother me when people ask me my name...........I say Thomas.........and they proceed to call me Tom..........Thats what people do.........

Thought I was the only one and being petty! I hate the term 'Glasto', makes me cringe. Still, it will always be used here by some so I'll just have to put up with it. Do really dislike it though!

They are very wrong but its true :P, I find it depends on who your with, if I am at a West Ham game then united means west ham, but if your down the pub(not your local stadium pub) and most other placees, United generally refers to Manchester, sometimes you get Manure to :P
Edited by FunkyDenz