Pukkelpop 2010

Guest Semprini

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attention, dear Pukkelpoppers! There’s a change in the Pukkelpop running order on Friday August 20th. Limp Bizkit will play a later slot on the Main Stage. They are now scheduled to perform from 19:00 until 20:00. This also means Eels will play earlier than previously announced. Their show is now from 17:20-18:20.

thanks to semprini and mr s for the replys to my query

actually the handwritten letter and id scan from the original ticket holder may not be a bad idea at all.im hoping they just pass us all through

its a constant nagging doubt though

i dont agree with the registered ticket thing.to me it just seems to pass all responsibility of touting to the vulnerable genuine customers. its gonna be harsh to penalise people going in on 2nd hand tickets.i mean,just look at the belgium ebay to see if it stops the problem of touting.

anyways enough ranting!

groove armada thursday night performing loads of that awesome new album, the almighty plastikman friday night follwed by some four tet and of course prodigy outdoors earlier that day is more thsn enough to keeop me goin!

not goin to be able to concentrate the slightest but over the next few days at work!

thanks to semprini and mr s for the replys to my query

actually the handwritten letter and id scan from the original ticket holder may not be a bad idea at all.im hoping they just pass us all through

its a constant nagging doubt though

i dont agree with the registered ticket thing.to me it just seems to pass all responsibility of touting to the vulnerable genuine customers. its gonna be harsh to penalise people going in on 2nd hand tickets.i mean,just look at the belgium ebay to see if it stops the problem of touting.

anyways enough ranting!

groove armada thursday night performing loads of that awesome new album, the almighty plastikman friday night follwed by some four tet and of course prodigy outdoors earlier that day is more thsn enough to keeop me goin!

not goin to be able to concentrate the slightest but over the next few days at work!

Safe journey all.

Flying from Manc to Brussels tomorrow morning, so once we've checked in and had a few in Hasselt will be hitting the site about 4 I'd reckon. That is if I get in!, if not, I'll be hitting some security guards. Think like someone else on here we're staying in the Portmans and will be knocking about in the Irish Times in the day so would be great to have a pint with any of you lot.

I'm taking my golf shoes!, lightweight and perfect for gripping the turf.

Have a great festival

... I fancy that Italian restaurant Trufflehound mentioned a couple of pages back that has over 500 beers on offer but will see when we get there. I'll be up for meeting for a beer or two before we eat. We'll then head to the site for about 9pm to get our wristbands and meet up with a few other people off the board.

Edit: I've just had a look on google maps and that restaurant (Hemelrijk) is pretty much next door to the Irish Times Pub. We'll make our way towards there on Wednesday and see where the beer takes us!!

Edited by Trufflehound

Got back yesterday and have started the road to recovery..!

We all had a great time, I think the thing that I enjoyed the most was being able to see so many bands that I like/love that don't tend to tour near me e.g. f**k Buttons, Beach House etc.

Musical highlights - the two above, Laura Marling, Yeasayer (incredible I thought), The National, Frightened Rabbit, Digitalism, Everything Everything.

Very sad to hear about Charles Haddon - what happened with the other death though?

Weather - superb! Had real doubts waking up on Wednesday morning but it cleared up a treat. Nice and tanned now - it was almost too hot!

Prices - hmmm...expensive. Mainly ate and drank outside the arena though. Did enjoy some of the smoothies near the 'special beers' bar though.

Camping - very much like Reading! A bit juvenile and unfortunately we had a few chairs and alcohol stolen and some kids chucking stuff around. Had hoped to escape that! We didn't spend too much time at the camp though and the crowd inside the arena was much better.

Loved the size of the arena and the ease of getting around it - even as it was sold out, there were hardly any crushes and it was easy to get to stuff on time, even with small gaps in timings. Take note Reading and Leeds!

Travel - pretty efficient. An hour's wait to get a train yesterday and although it was busy on the way down as well, we were able to fairly easily get onto all the buses and coaches etc.

All in all, a great weekend - looking forward to hopefully trying another new festival next year!

Sad news about the two deaths. Was going to see Ou est le swimming pool too.

The festival this year was excellent I thought, though noticeably busier than last year (although I knew it was a sell out, it did seem dramatic - especially the main stage during the day)

The only gripe I had was the camping. We got to Kiewit at 10 on the Wednesday, and were amongst the first into the campsite when it opened. The ridiculous situation with the rope made it truly awful getting a camping spot. The organisers surely have to do something about this next year?

Had a brilliant time would echo the thoughts of everyone else on how sad it was to hear about the deaths and the girl who got badly injured.

Highlights for me were F*** Buttons, The National, Band of Horses, Mumford and Sons (best atmosphere by a mile), Deadmau5 and Yeasayer, although i only saw about 3/4 of it due to a combination of the heat in the tent and er refreshments hitting me like a sledgehammer :blink: Had no joy till the last night on that score, was as hard as had been described on here. Made the most of the alcohol and sunshine to make sure that wasnt really as issue though.

Good shout on Digitialism, by far the best boiler room act i saw.

The camping set up was a joke, thank god it wasnt raining when we were setting up as tempers were getting frayed big time, it was like a WW1 advance. We set up the tent and went for a walk then came back an hour or so later and the rope had moved about ten feet! Utter bollocks and something they need to sort out for next year. Hotelled it for the last 2 nights in Hasselt, nice place bit weird with the biblical cut out and keep characters every 20 yards though :rolleyes:

Is that shout of 'Whhooooaaaa OOOhhhh' from the boiler a belgian or a european thing? Never heard it before.

Cheers Semprini et al for all the advice.

• 1 month later...

I'm really not sure why it's taken me so long to get round to writing a review but better late than never I suppose! As per usual, no apologies for the length of my self indulgent ramblings :P

Wednesday 18th August

Had no issues flying out from my home city of Norwich to Schiphol, which is always a bonus. Living 10 minutes drive from the airport is a godsend and the flight itself is so short they barely have time to push the drinks trolley down the isle :lol: Picked up the hire car from the same company as last year so it wasn't long before we were on the road, listening to a mix tape I'd put together of bands on the bill and reminising about our previous trips to the hallowed fields on Kempische Steenweg. Did the usual pit stop in Eindhoven to pick up a few essentials for the weekend and we were in our hotel rooms by 5pm ready to get the party started B)

My two friends and I headed out into Hasselt for a pre-dinner beer or two and were immediately flummuxed by the many cut-out charactors that lined the streets, not to mention the massive comic book billboards and random nativity style scenes (complete with working water features) dotted around the place. A waitress in the bar we went to informed us that it was all part of a festival that was going on (as truffelhound has mentioned) which only happens every 7 years. We were thinking what a nice bonus it was to see all the celebrations taking place, that was until we tried to get back to our hotel after the meal. A parade was in full swing snaking it's way through the town and try as we might, we couldn't get across the road to where our hotel was. The parade itself consisted of hundreds of people dressed up in pagan clothes chanting as they walked (very slowly) through the town. It must have gone on for well over an hour and the large crowd that turned out stood in complete silence throughout it all. No one was nipping across the road through the parade so we eventually had to go down into the underground car park at the Holiday Inn to get to the other side of the road where the Express hotel was.

The fun didn't end there though as no buses were running to the festival site and the taxi we ordered after the parade stopped, and waited for over an hour for, didn't turn up. We eventually made it to the festival at about 11pm and so missed the meet I'd arranged with Boarderwoozal by over two hours (I never did catch up with him which was a pity :( ). We were all pretty beat by this stage so only really stayed long enough to exchange our pre-payed vouchers for real tokens, check out the Boiler Room and have a quick wander round the campsite. We headed back to the little bar near our hotel for a late one and there were a couple of the bands having a drink there too - from memory I think it was Frightened Rabbit and Minus the Bear. We saw a few other bands over the weekend including Band of Skulls, The Cribs and Pulled Apart by Horses but I regretably didn't pluck up the courage to try and blag some backstage passes off any of them!!

Thursday 19th August

Was up bright and early for breakfast and we were on site by about half eleven raring to go!! Saw a little bit of Blue October, Thrice and Bear in Heaven as we strolled around in the sun enjoying a couple of early beers but it was soon time to head over to the Boiler for my first essential appointment of the weekend with Netsky. After the phenominal set up inside the tent last year I was expecting something even more spectacular this time round but (imo) they sadly failed to hit the same heights. The flags and lights hanging down gave it more of a club feel but it didn't blow me away like in 2009. I also felt the sound was too quiet inside the tent, although I ended up spending more time in the outside dance area as it was too hot in the tent most of the time. I thought the outside area was superb and I listened to many of the DJs from there. Anyway, Netsky was superb and played most of the tracks off his album which went down a treat.

Caught the start of Tinie Tempah, who did a valiant job in rousing the crowd, before heading over sharpish to the Club for Tame Impala. Probably the thing I love most about Pukkelpop is trawling through the list of bands I haven't heard of each year and discovering hidden gems. In that respect, this year was all about Tame Impala for me and they certainly didn't disappoint live. I love the album and they sounded even better in the flesh, which is no mean feat at a festival. Probably my second favourite performance of the weekend (aside from the Prodigy but I'll come to that later ;))

Seasick next and he was predictably superb, even if it did mean missing Kelis due to the change of her set time. I had a bit of a wander about after him and caught pieces of Ellie Goulding, Megafaun, Jakwob and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club before it was time to head back to the Club for Band of Skulls. Like Tame Impala, they were another new discovery I couldn't wait to see live and they definitely stepped up to the plate - 'Patterns' being a personal highlight of the show. The festival organiser Chokri Mahassine stood next to us for them, which is about as glowing a reference as you can expect at Pukkelpop.

As night began to creep in it was all about the Dance Hall for me. Chase and Status whipped the huge crowd into a frenzy and caused the first ever mosh pits I've seen in that tent. They rolled out the hits as well as some new tracks; expect them to be headlining tents at festivals next summer. Laurent Garnier was effortlessly cool before it was the turn of Groove Armada. I've seen them quite a few times before and was a bit nonchalant when they were first announced but that all changed when I watched them live on BBC4 at Glastonbury and then listened properly to 'Black Light'. They put in an excellent performance, mixing the old favourites with the new tracks which all went down really well. Their lead singer Saint Saviour is a true talent and it was hard to take your eyes off her whenever she graced the stage. Assisted by MC MAD, they collectively managed to make every tune larger than life and easily earned the award as my favourite band of the weekend.

I'm beginning to flag as I write this so will sign off for tonight and finish the rest of my review in the next few days.

Edited by Semprini