The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the Denver set from couple nights ago. Take two out and add in "Glastonbury" and "When Love Comes to Town" and thats yer lot melads.

Even Better Than The Real Thing

I Will Follow

Get On Your Boots

Magnificent

Mysterious Ways

Elevation

Until The End Of The World

All I Want Is You

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

Beautiful Day / Here Comes The Sun (snippet)

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

Miss Sarajevo

Zooropa

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Please (snippet)

Sunday Bloody Sunday

Scarlet

Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):

One

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

With Or Without You

Moment of Surrender

No complaints from me with this either. Yes its predictable, but they'll sound marvellous.

I think - somehow - at least one of New Years day and/or Still Haven't Found will be in there. And I do think Bad is an outside chance. They don't play it often but they do play it regularly, and it's at gigs that have a bit of extra meaning, one way or another, that they play it. This most certainly qualifies.

But what do they drop? It really depends on what their mindset and staging is like. There are a couple of songs there that are heavily dependent on the 360 staging for their impact, and they might well drop them for Glastonbury if they feel they can't in some way replicate it (thinking Zooropa and Crazy Tonight). And there are a couple there that I think are great for a U2 concert loaded with U2 fans, but might slip off under the potential Glastonbury 'If you only see U2 once/bang out the greatest hits' criteria (Miss Sarajevo, Moment of Surrender, and again Zooropa.) So room might still be made for some more of the 'big ones' that they are rotating in and out every other night on the tour.

And I wouldn't be so sure about When Love Comes to Town with BB King during U2's set. I think the chances of Bono/Edge crashing BB Kings set are much higher. The guy is 80-something years old. I'd say it's pretty likely he or his handlers would far prefer it happening during his afternoon set, rather than having him wait around for hours and hours well into the night to just play one song versus just getting out of there and getting him 'home'.

Edited by Torcs4

And I wouldn't be so sure about When Love Comes to Town with BB King during U2's set. I think the chances of Bono/Edge crashing BB Kings set are much higher. The guy is 80-something years old. I'd say it's pretty likely he or his handlers would far prefer it happening during his afternoon set, rather than having him wait around for hours and hours well into the night to just play one song versus just getting out of there and getting him 'home'.

Here's the Denver set from couple nights ago. Take two out and add in "Glastonbury" and "When Love Comes to Town" and thats yer lot melads.

Even Better Than The Real Thing

I Will Follow

Get On Your Boots

Magnificent

Mysterious Ways

Elevation

Until The End Of The World

I Still Haven't Found with Movin On Up (Primal Scream) snippet

New Years DayAll I Want Is You

Stay (Faraway, So Close!)

Angel Of HarlemBeautiful Day / Here Comes The Sun (snippet)

Pride (In The Name Of Love)

City Of Blinding Lights

Vertigo

Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Please (snippet)

Sunday Bloody Sunday

BadWalk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):

One

Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

With Or Without You

Set List from Salt Lake City

Venue: Rice Eccles Stadium

Opening Act(s): The Fray

Main Set: Even Better Than The Real Thing, I Will Follow, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Elevation, Until the End of the World, All I Want Is You, Love Rescue Me, Happy Birthday, Stay, Beautiful Day - Here Comes The Sun, Pride, Miss Sarajevo, Zooropa, City of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy (remix) - Discotheque - Mofo, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Scarlet, Walk On - You'll Never Walk Alone

Encore(s): One, Blowin' In The Wind - The Times They Are A-Changin - Where the Streets Have No Name, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, With or Without You, Moment of Surrender

Comments: It's not on the printed setlist, but U2 does Love Rescue Me in honor of Bob Dylan, who's 70 years old today. Dylan co-wrote and performed that song on Rattle And Hum. Bono then leads the crowd in singing Happy Birthday to Dylan. Before Beautiful Day, Bono brings three girls on stage and joins them in reciting a poem about Utah.

Having seen U2 8 times over the years and some of those being 2 differnt dates on the same tour the setlist does vary a little bit. If memory serves me on one tour I still haven't found was interchanged with with or without you

Having seen U2 8 times over the years and some of those being 2 differnt dates on the same tour the setlist does vary a little bit. If memory serves me on one tour I still haven't found was interchanged with with or without you

This is their second trip around the US on this tour - so some of the older/classic songs dropped/switched reflect that, simply shaking it up a bit. Glastonbury is not only a one off/special/unique gig, but their first UK in two years, and probably last for at least another couple of years, so for all three reasons I wouldn't read much into any of the big/classic songs that aren't getting played on 360 gigs right now. They'll squeeze as many in as they can for the festival.

As long as they play Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

With loads of Batman animations all over the video screens. Such an epic intro, I don't know why they don't start with it.

Do they ever not play it? Would be so disappointed if they missed that out.

Just saw on a U2 message board, a quote from their stage designer saying that U2 had Glastonbury-specific rehearsals in New York in early May. Could easily be 'technical' rehearsals, given that it will of course be with different lighting/visuals etc, but could also be a sign that they're going to do something quite different to the norm, or pull a few songs out that aren't or haven't appeared on this tour.

Just saw on a U2 message board, a quote from their stage designer saying that U2 had Glastonbury-specific rehearsals in New York in early May. Could easily be 'technical' rehearsals, given that it will of course be with different lighting/visuals etc, but could also be a sign that they're going to do something quite different to the norm, or pull a few songs out that aren't or haven't appeared on this tour.

Having had a U2 afternoon, I've decided they have to play Bullet the Blue Sky from twitter and looking at last played it seems unlikely but a possibility. I don't know what it is about it but its just struck a chord with me and I love it.