Volunteering? Another way in?

Guest festiefos

If you want to do bar work, you need to volunteer for one of the many campaigning organisations that provide volunteers to the Workers Beer Company. There's a list of them >>here<<.

If you're a member of one of those organisations, are prepared to join, or know someone who's a member, you need to contact them, find out who their 'WBC contact' is and have a chat with them. You need to start doing it now as the list of festivals comes out at the beginning of February and you want to be on their mailing list by then.

One way to get into the festival is to get employed for the litter picking crew: search these forums and elsewhere to find other people's experience.

I'm not saying it's a rip off necessarily. I'm just saying, understand what's expected of you, and what you get in return, and make your own decision as to whether it's a balance you're happy with. And make that decision BEFORE signing up for it.

I'm not saying it's a rip off necessarily. I'm just saying, understand what's expected of you, and what you get in return, and make your own decision as to whether it's a balance you're happy with. And make that decision BEFORE signing up for it.

• 3 months later...

Taken from the official site:

"Litter pickers are recruited by the Festival. Initially people who have worked successfully before are approached, thereafter applications are taken from those who get in touch with Festival. To apply call 01749 899086 or email fiona@glastonburyfestivals.co.uk"

I enquired about it last year, I think it was a cheque for 170 quid that you got back when you had completed all your shifts.

You can but try...

(As a side note, I turned up after the festival on Tuesday morning to join the cleanup team which was paid work - slightly different set up, but I couldn't get a satisfactory answer about where to leave my stuff (rucksack already been nicked), and where I should park the car (didn't want to leave it in the normal car park in case it got locked in by an irate farmer), so I just did 1 morning's worth for free and went home at dinner time. They did work you quite hard, and on the hottest day of the year it was backbreaking stuff to get every single roach of the floor).

I was coming down at the time though :P

My wife and I did litter picking in 2005 and it had its pros and cons

The pros being that we had seperate campsite (especially considering the area we normally camped in was badly flooded) with showers. We also worked with a good bunch of folk and got free meals too which were in general pretty good. A bonus was that we got into the festival too as had been unsuccessful in general sale. We weren't using the litter picking as a free ride though as both my wife and I have a strong work ethic and you had to complete all your shifts for your money to be refunded.

The only con was that we had wanted early shifts but got afternoon ones instead

Some stranger who ended up in my camp a few years back was an Oxfam volunteer. One day in, he decided he couldn't be arsed with it, and went AWOL, forfeiting his deposit.

I was *not* impressed. It just doesn't seem an honourable route.

On the bright side, you can only pull that stunt once: you get blacklisted and won't be accepted again.

Edited by ukslim

Some stranger who ended up in my camp a few years back was an Oxfam volunteer. One day in, he decided he couldn't be arsed with it, and went AWOL, forfeiting his deposit.

I was *not* impressed. It just doesn't seem an honourable route.

On the bright side, you can only pull that stunt once: you get blacklisted and won't be accepted again.

As a long time Oxfam steward I too am not impressed when this happens as it does let down the other 1700 stewards who turn up and cover their shifts to help the public and have a fantastic time at Glastonbury.

For anyone who does want to consider volunteering with Oxfam, please check out the website and read through the general blurb about what is involved in being a steward Oxfam Stewarding

In the case of any of these volunteer positions...

how and when do you send them the £200 or whatever it is to cover the ticket that then gets returned to you if you complete the work? Is it a full payment that comes out of your account that gets refunded eventually or a cheque that sits uncashed?

Reason I am asking is right now I cannot afford to pay the rest of my ticket off due to not having a job or any money but also highly unlikely to have £200 to 'pay' upfront for the volunteering either despite knowing, if I managed to work/volly, I would get the money back due to completed shifts.

This major money issue stopped me from Stewarding at Big Chill last year too. I'd love to work/volly/steward at the fest this year to get an experience other than being a punter.

Is/are there arrangements for super broke (but just as worthy and wanting of attending the G) people or do you have to be solvent to be a volunteer?

In the case of any of these volunteer positions...

how and when do you send them the £200 or whatever it is to cover the ticket that then gets returned to you if you complete the work? Is it a full payment that comes out of your account that gets refunded eventually or a cheque that sits uncashed?

Reason I am asking is right now I cannot afford to pay the rest of my ticket off due to not having a job or any money but also highly unlikely to have £200 to 'pay' upfront for the volunteering either despite knowing, if I managed to work/volly, I would get the money back due to completed shifts.

This major money issue stopped me from Stewarding at Big Chill last year too. I'd love to work/volly/steward at the fest this year to get an experience other than being a punter.

Is/are there arrangements for super broke (but just as worthy and wanting of attending the G) people or do you have to be solvent to be a volunteer?

Most of the companies will ask you to pay up front, rather than just on a 'held cheque' basis. For a lot of the bigger events there's just as much demand for the work places as there are for the normal sales, so getting a definite payment is a confirmation that you are serious about doing it (also, the Leeds / Reading campsite volunteering teams site gets lots of registrations of interest and pledges to work, but the amount actually committing & paying is a lot less).

Unfortunately the days of doing a voluntary thing for free have largely gone from big events.

Hope it works out for you!

Edited by Al the CAT

Hmm...looks like I wont be going to the ball this year then. Bugger. (Have one last trick up me sleeve though...and having dinner this Thursday with the only person who may still be able to help) :P