The Glastonbury effect

Guest VCK

I've been going to Leeds for years, and whilst I had a good time this weekend I spent a lot of time thinking about how it's no way near as good as Glastonbury, and going on about how Glastonbury's better. Has anyone else had this, where after going to Glasto they feel that any other festival they go to is miles inferior and just not the same after spending a weekend on a farm in Somerset.

it's definately had an effect on me not bothering with creamfields this year. went last year, thought it was alright, nothing special, but after doing glastonbury this year i thought, what's the point? i've seen half the acts before and i'm not gonna get the buzz i get off being at the farm, no matter how many chemicals i'd throw into my body.

i'll be quite content with just rockness and glastonbury next year. :huh:

Bang on, I went to Reading this weekend and although I had a really good time, I never quite got over how, well, tame everything seemed compared to Glastonbury.

I'm not one for riots or any of that stuff, and I live in Reading so don't camp on the site, but from the size of the arena to the food on offer, the people and everything, it just didn't quite measure up.

Luckily for Reading I saw some real top-notch bands. Assuming I'm still living in Reading, I'm sure I'll be back next year ... but I know which I'd pick out of the two.

The other frustrating thing is going with friends who think Reading is the best thing in the world. I know they'd change their mind if they came to Glastonbury, but they just don't seem to want to.

Is it T-day yet? I need something to get excited about!

I've been going to Leeds for years, and whilst I had a good time this weekend I spent a lot of time thinking about how it's no way near as good as Glastonbury, and going on about how Glastonbury's better. Has anyone else had this, where after going to Glasto they feel that any other festival they go to is miles inferior and just not the same after spending a weekend on a farm in Somerset.

It came to a point where if I mentioned Glastonbury to my mates they'd get annoyed. Coincidentally the ones who did have never been and this year's Leeds was their first or second ever festival... :huh:

Glasto got better performances from it's headliners too than Leeds. Neil Young was better than Arctics. Springsteen was better than Radiohead. And, of course, Blur were better than KOL.

Edited by VCK

haha - deffinatly.

I went to leeds 9 years on the trot, been to now 3 glastos and im not really even bothered about leeds anymore. (didnt bother this year)

I think it must actually be a bad thing if glastonbury is your first festival - it must ruin any other fest for ya lol!

I knew this the second I walked through the gates in 1995 and in fact knew it even in 94 and didnt even go to that one!

There are smaller festivals these days that capture elements of Glastonbury and in some ways are better than Glasto these days cos its too big and manic now but Glasto is still the grandaddy of all festies without question.

Aye I got this, had a great time but it's just not the same... Few random knobheads doing little things like trying to start a fight, stealing your flag, hat, cans, whatever... Even though 90% of the people you meet are great this just takes a bit away from it., never seems to happen at Glastonbury.

Edited by Bradders