The Park

Guest talullah

We went to the Park for the first time this year and loved it!We couldnt believe how beautiful it all was and how much thought had gone into the seating ares etc It really has everything you need for a festie in itself! We accidently saw the Blockheads in the Rabbit Hole,and whilst escaping from the rain Sunday night stumbled into I think HMS Sweet Charity?? Brilliant place!!

Really good vibe there all weekend, never too packed and always good atmosphere, did any of you go there?? what did you like and see? :lol:

Only passed thru this year, not much to tempt me tbh...BUT I did meet one of my gods...Gavin Pretor Pinney in the Uni at HMS SC on Friday afternoon. he was doing a lecture about fire...even tho he is more famos for inventing the Cloud Appreciation Society...and BOY did I appreciate the clouds at G...successfully predicted the storm on the Thurs...looked up, saw the commas in the sky at 10am, told everyone within earshot...thar's a torm a'comin...they all thought I was mad...how wrong were they???!!!

He appreciated the fact that even tho not a member yet, I was super knowledgeable about all that water vapour. I quizzed him about the scary new cloud formation his team have officially named and told me there's nothing to worry about...it isnt the Americans cloudseeding and trying to rule the weather! And my best bit...he gave me a badge! :lol: I was very happy.

Edited by LusciousLucy

Only passed thru this year, not much to tempt me tbh...BUT I did meet one of my gods...Gavin Pretor Pinney in the Uni at HMS SC on Friday afternoon. he was doing a lecture about fire...even tho he is more famos for inventing the Cloud Appreciation Society...and BOY did I appreciate the clouds at G...successfully predicted the storm on the Thurs...looked up, saw the commas in the sky at 10am, told everyone within earshot...thar's a torm a'comin...they all thought I was mad...how wrong were they???!!!

He appreciated the fact that even tho not a member yet, I was super knowledgeable about all that water vapour. I quizzed him about the scary new cloud formation his team have officially named and told me there's nothing to worry about...it isnt the Americans cloudseeding and trying to rule the weather! And my best bit...he gave me a badge! :lol: I was very happy.

I remember Lucy's storm portent, it was scarily accurate!

I saw Emiliana Torrini, Cold War Kids, and DEAD WEATHER!!!! at the Park, I really loved it up there!

After Rabid & I were all set up, I took him to Flagopolis at the top of The Park for his first ever "Don't Turn Round Til You Get To The Top" moment. On our way back down, we walked through The Park & stopped to take in the beautiful, perfect festival view on some wooden loungers.

While we were there someone drives up in a Landrover & parks right in front of us, blocking our view. I was just about to ask him if he'd mind moving his landy a few yards to give us our view back when Michael Eavis gets out & wanders around. I figured it was his farm & he could park where he likes!! :lol:

I love the Glasshouse in The Park, just a lovely place to sit & chill.

We ventured up to the Park on Sunday afternoon to watch Cold War Kids . . . loved it! Our favourite discovery was the 'Tree Cafe' which looked like a tree house. We had tea, (Which for a small deposit you can have in a proper china teapot with proper tea cups & saucers!) and fairy cakes, sat amongst the branches which were strewn with fairy lights. Amazing! And the people running the place were really nice too.

The Park is one of my favourite spots at the whole festival. For a start, the stage is definitely the best at the festival - wherever you stand you get a great view, you're never too far from the band and the sound quality is first rate. Plus they put some cracking bands on there this year.

The Bimble Inn is great for a drink or two, the Silent Disco in the evenings is one of the most fun things at the festival ... and the whole area just has a lovely relaxed feel to it.

Oh - and then there's that view, of course.

fond memories of watching Spiritualized in The Park a couple of years ago...very blissed out....didn't start till nearly midnight and finnished at 2 AM.....saw Easy Star All Stars,Horace Andy and James Hunter up there this year....the Chinese food stall was some of the best food we had all weekend....great place to be....much prefer it to Trash City to be honest.

BOY did I appreciate the clouds at G...successfully predicted the storm on the Thurs...looked up, saw the commas in the sky at 10am, told everyone within earshot...thar's a torm a'comin...they all thought I was mad...how wrong were they???!!!

Having been a bit disparaging about the park due to only really experiencing it in the mud of 07, I was looking forward to seeing how it had developed. Shlomo and then the Klaxons turned out to be one of my highlights, glorious sunshine, great vantage points, lovely atmosphere and not bad sound. Almost like a self contained festival. We didn't do much exploring but I shall definitely be spending more time their next year. I thought in general the lineup was a bit disappointing though.

The only act i saw up at The Park this year was Bon Iver - although it was my favourite set of the weekend!

I love the tea-shop treehouse - it's really beautiful up there and the staff are brilliant.

The Glasshouse in the middle was our meeting point a few times after the acts finished so we could cut across the top of Pennards into the Stone Circle and Greenfields.

And best of all, i was tring to buy a coke with a £5 note but the woman serving me (bizarrely) could only offer me my £3.50 change in 10p pieces. I was desperate for this drink (i needed a mixer for my rum) but not prepared to have that much shrapnel in my pocket, but luckily some extremely nice bloke behind me bought it for me - if you're reading this, you're a legend! Cheers!

I've never really liked it up at the park but it was a much better layout up there this year and more varied lineup too, crisp sound and good view as well. Highlight for me was Horace Andy doing pretty much a greatest hits set - sweet reggae music in the sunshine!

Reeeally nice iced Pimms and champagne cocktails too!

Edited by caramello

Went up on Friday for Supergrass (Hot Rats). They were pissed up, funny though. Covered EMI by the Pistols, Pump it Up by Elvis Costello, Crystal Ship by The Doors, Love Cats by the Cure. Nearly finished early when they had a tech issue and Gaz said “This is all f**ked we gotta go”, but they fixed it.

Emiliana Torrini after them, who was absolutely superb, one of the highlights of the festival. Unemployed in Summer time being one of the tunes of the festival.

Saw some of the Dead Weather, who I really didn’t get into at all. Bit noisy for my tastes.

Great few hours up there.

We spent a lot of our time up by the Park as a friend's family were camping backstage. Saw The Horrors and The Klaxons which were both pretty good, went to the Rabbithole briefly and obviously went up the Ribbon Tower which gives you an amazing view of the site.

Yeah, ace place. Good for relaxing on the hill and taking in whatever was going on. Some interesting acts I'd never heard of and really enjoyed.

Also seeing the sand sculpture thingy developing over time. Lovely cream tea from the Treehouse. Hardly any queues for food and drink (except at said Treehouse but I suppose that's because it is one of a kind).

And saw one of my all time wannasees - Terry Reid (with not a lot of other people so lacked a bit of atmosphere sadly).

i saw noah and the whale and animal collective there on friday night and they were amazing.

it's a really nice atmosphere there. i think it's one of my favourate stages its just the right size and nice and chilled out.

also, as always went to the silent disco one night. always have a good time there!

the bbc introducing stage was also brilliant for a dance. saw zane lowe (with jamie T!) there on thursday and annie mac on saturday i think. both of them had the whole tent going mental!

i really love that place. need to explore it more tho, i didn't even see the tree house! and where's the rabbit hole?!

i saw noah and the whale and animal collective there on friday night and they were amazing.

it's a really nice atmosphere there. i think it's one of my favourate stages its just the right size and nice and chilled out.

also, as always went to the silent disco one night. always have a good time there!

the bbc introducing stage was also brilliant for a dance. saw zane lowe (with jamie T!) there on thursday and annie mac on saturday i think. both of them had the whole tent going mental!

i really love that place. need to explore it more tho, i didn't even see the tree house! and where's the rabbit hole?!

The Good - Animal Collective's set on the Friday night. Would regret missing Neil Young if it was anyone else

The Bad - Convincing myself that The Flaming Lips were the Saturday night special guests once I saw the fancy dress only to see one of my most hated bands Klaxons walk on.

We pitched up right next to it but then regrettably, didn't spend much time in there. :D

Stonebridge bar pre altern8 was good Thursday night for some classic manc stuff

The Bimble was good later on Thursday night, Friday morn, larging it, quite literally, to MJ's greatest hits. A bit of a downer was all the people who didn't know he'd died: several girls spoke to burst into tears! That may have just been because thety saw my wedding ring though! :D

The rest of the time the lure of the madness at the end of the railway line proved too much for us. This I regret but then Glasto wouldn't be glasto without a few regrets, would it?!

FYI: The Oxygen bar provided a surprisingly good hangover cure for £3.50: the same effect as having a jacuzzi when hungover. I thought it would be a rip-off but then someone else paid! :D

Edited by Craigston