Increased police presence

Guest johnmcga

It happened at 11.00 at stroud between juntion 23 and 24 on Thursday which is just by michaels Wood isnt it? There were 4 of us in the car with obviously quite a bit of camping stuff so it was obvious where we heading. They did a full check on each of us, checked all my insurance and stuff to ensure that we were legit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to hear first hand story for once. I personally think the police presence at Glasto is generally fantastic, light-handed and friendly, and am always suspicious about the crap talked about people who heard 3rd hand that someone had been done over etc. I look forward to seeing the official council review of the festival including the policing report.

I'm all for more police if they make the festival safer, but do think they should have more H.Qs where you could report crime easilier than what you can now.

(Just not any extra in Stone cirlce lol)

Besides, the Somerset bobbies seem a much more friendlier bunch compared to the bobbies you get in Merseyside. :lol:

I'd also like a few more watchtowers over-looking the camp sites for thieves rather than the few they have up on site run by the security who are mainly watching for other problems.

a few years back at the license application hearing, it was agreed that the police numbers would drop (to reduce demand on police time and the cost of that to the festival) with a matching increase in security numbers.

i am not aware of increases in police numbers or security, the numbers of security/police per head of punter will only increase in the event of increasing crime or anti social behaviours and at the recommendation of the police (who are generally happy with the festival management nowadays)

crime and related behaviours (including fence jumping) have been decreasing year on year. so i hugely doubt that numbers have been increased, why would the festival pay more for more police when crime is less?

persoanlly i would rather have more police and less security :(

as for the stop and searches at the services on the gloucestershire stretch of the M5, the gloucestershire constabulary have always done this, for at least 15 years that i can recall... and yes, it is purely to meet their targets

read section A of the police and criminal evidence act for info on what the police can and cannot do with regards personal searches. vehicles stops and searches are idfferent though i believe :lol:

Edited by jonajuna

a few years back at the license application hearing, it was agreed that the police numbers would drop (to reduce demand on police time and the cost of that to the festival) with a matching increase in security numbers.

didn't really notice them at all to be honest and those i saw were very nice and relaxed and not getting in peoples faces, i never mind the police as they are there to help me enjoy myself and if i am doing anything that warrants their attention then 9 times out of 10 you can be sure it's because i deserve it.

i think its definatly good to see. police are far far better than a private security firm

i found the police to helpful, they came over and had a bit of banter but also let us know about some tent slashings and gave us some advice on how to stay safe, which they didnt have to do.

i also seen 3 naked people in a security van heading down the railway line towards the park area. not sure what the had done.

We thought there were more than usual this year so stopped to ask agroup of police that very question on Sunday night. They said there were actually less of them this year. They did however say that they were spending more time patrolling on foot this year (they always used to travel around in Landrovers) which may well be why there seemed to be more there than previous years.

I know its slightly off topic NL Storm but its about Police presence and was obviously connected to the festival and I didn't want to start a new thread.

It happened at 11.00 at stroud between juntion 23 and 24 on Thursday which is just by michaels Wood isnt it? There were 4 of us in the car with obviously quite a bit of camping stuff so it was obvious where we heading. They did a full check on each of us, checked all my insurance and stuff to ensure that we were legit. As far as i am aware we were not speeding or making any offence. I think it was just random stops on cars with passengers going to Glastonbury. I got the feeling they were looking for dealers who were headed for the festival.

They gave a letter which stated about illegal cars and stuff and asked us each to sign a declaration so that we could be checked.

I'm not to sure what to make of it to be honest but i do sort think that its easy pickings with regards to festival goers.

adjwholovesmusic

I thought overall it was good (mainly because I saw 2 chases and they were pretty exciting - one guy hid in a porta loo and when the police came they couldn't see him for a second, then everyone pointed to the toilet) but if they start enforcing drugs laws properly I will change my opinion instantly.

They need to tackle dealing dodgy pills, fights (ever seen a fight at glasto? I haven't but I guess there probably are some), theft and help out when someone collapses but anything other than that and they're getting too tough.

Someone was arrested this year for public indecency, that for example is about 10 steps too far.

Edited by LostRiot

Aye, agree with most of the sentiments here. Plod were generally sound all Fest. Couple of them were down by the Mandela bar during Tony Christie, doing the "Amarillo" walk with their ice creams, having a laugh with everyone and because of that everyone reacted really well to them, they got loads of people coming up for photos with them. It was (for me) great PR for the force, they get a lot of stick so it was good for people to see that some of 'em a just normal guys doing a job (saw some Mrs Plod too, one of whom, and excuse the crude nature of this, was HOT!)

I read somewhere (not sure if it was BBC or Guardian web site) that this year there was a policy of sending out coppers with security people. This sounds like a good idea, you still have the same number of eyes around, and the police get to keep an eye on the security staff.

I think the lack of doom and gloom stories in the papers speaks volumes for how well things actually went this year.

Nice to hear first hand story for once. I personally think the police presence at Glasto is generally fantastic, light-handed and friendly, and am always suspicious about the crap talked about people who heard 3rd hand that someone had been done over etc. I look forward to seeing the official council review of the festival including the policing report.

Aye, agree with most of the sentiments here. Plod were generally sound all Fest. Couple of them were down by the Mandela bar during Tony Christie, doing the "Amarillo" walk with their ice creams, having a laugh with everyone and because of that everyone reacted really well to them, they got loads of people coming up for photos with them. It was (for me) great PR for the force, they get a lot of stick so it was good for people to see that some of 'em a just normal guys doing a job (saw some Mrs Plod too, one of whom, and excuse the crude nature of this, was HOT!)

I thought they were pretty low profile this year. My fears were aroused when we came in through the Orange gate on Wednesday PM around 6pm to see some guy well and truly busted - he had been cuffed while his three mates looked on with grim faces as they searched their car.

But as it turned out, I saw very little police presence over the rest of the week / weekend. I try to stay out of their way.