The Boss on the John Peel Stage!

Guest budvar

During Gaslight Anthem (who were my breakout hit of the festival - superb set!) I spotted a chap with dark shades standing at the back. Seconds later the lead singer welcomed on a special guest.

Bruce Springsteen on the John Peel Stage - probably his smallest gig for a fair while. That's a Glastonbury moment right there!

Anyone else see it?

The place went absolutely crazy, immense set from the Gaslight Anthem. Bruce was the icing on the cake, I saw the same thing happen yesterday at Hyde Park (left Glasto on the Sunday morning) in front of a crowd there just for Bruce and the reaction from them wasn't as good!

Was always going along to see Gaslight Anthem but the Brucie bonus was just awesome ! We were down the front and after a couple of songs my mate pointed out Bruce at the side of stage - took a little while to really be sure it was him but when he came on stage.....The Gaslight Anthem were brilliant but having Bruce on for 'The 59 Sound' was immense.

As for Bruce himself - simply awesome as ever - great Glasto !!

Yes, I was there. There was even a quick side on shot of me from the BBC coverage. Was never going to miss the Gaslight Anthem as I think the '59 sound is brilliant. They didn't disappoint. Bruce coming up on stage was a great bonus. We could see him sitting to the side of the stage for the remainder of the set nodding his head up and down to the music. I wasn't that surprised to see Bruce Springsteen. He's clearly a fan of the Gaslight Anthem.

There is no connection between the two besides being from NJ and Gaslight's frontman Brian Fallon listing Springsteenn as a huge influence. Springsteen's oldest son is apparently a fan and since it seems most of Springsteen's favorite current bands are ones his sons like, I'm sure this is how he knows aboout them.

Also, Springsteen hasn't had a support act for one of his tours in more than 30 years b/c people get Bruuuuced the whole time like people were complaining about happening at Glasto.

Edited by GlastoRulz

I was also right up the front for The Gaslight Anthem. Although I hugely enjoyed seeing Bruce in a small tent, I'm not sure the Anthem needed him to boost what was aready an amazing set.

These guys blew me away. I love The 59 Sound anyway, but live they have pretty much everything, energy, great sound and a clear love of what they do.

Mind you, I still went as mental as everyone else when The Boss walked on stage.

Kev

I was there and it was one of my highlights of the festival, i mean im not a huge fan of Springsteen but when he came on stage it was a case of noooo it carnt be. I mean around the site there were all these speacial guest slots that are not really that special in the fact that they usually leak out who it is the day before. But to see someone who in music has a legend status just walk out on stage completley out the blue to play with a small band on a smaller stage just made it an amazing moment.

I was there on the barrier. I had a pretty good hunch that Bruce would turn up - knowing that GA were supporting him the following night and that they're from the same neck of the woods. It was electrifying.

I agree with the earlier poster that GA didn't 'need' him. They're a class act by themselves (roll on Reading!). However, Brian was clearly delighted that Bruce took time out to play with them. I was joking to my lad that Brian could stand in for Bruce if he ever got sick on an E-Street tour, and didn't he do well (pardon the pun) singing No Surrender later that night.

OK guys need some help here !! Sounds the Gaslight Anthem & bruce were on the BBC but anyone know when they showed it and if it's up on the iPlayer anywhere ? I Sky+ a lot of Glasto but due to thunderstorms and my Sky box playing up I didn't get everything.

Cheers