Ufc

just/john

They just done a presser in Boston and it was meant to be intense, wasn't available for streaming but Ariel Helwani live tweeted most of the juicy stuff, think Conor is starting to really piss Aldo off. Fans seemed to be very disrespectful towards him too. The guy is a killer and doesn't get the respect he deserves.

I think a pissed off Aldo is the last thing that McGregor wants. McGregor has been a slow starter. If Aldo comes out all guns blazing and wants to hurt him, then he'll finish the fight quickly.

The longer the fight goes, the more chance McGregor has of knocking Aldo out, which I feel he is capable of doing when he builds up steam.

The new york conference is on youtube and it was pretty good to watch. A lot of the McGregor fans just shouted how he would kill Aldo and didnt ask a question, but it was still entertaining. Possible December date for New York, a route set out for Cyborg to get Rousey and a few other things were mentioned apart from the two big fights at UFC189.

I dont think Aldo is seen as much of a killer as he has been before, and thats what McGregor is picking up on. I think Conor will try and push the pace in the start of the fight, I cant see him starting too slow. Once he gets in to the octagon with Aldo, I think he will be in his face and show Aldo the McGregor Era is here to stay :D I cant imagine what Conor would say if he lost.

The noise of it pop is unreal!

The first time I watched it I had my sound down and couldnt notice anything really, but once I put the sound on it made it clear. Sounded like someone hit a punchbag hard :S

I don't think starting slow is a conscious choice. I think he needs time to settle into a fight. He can't just throw himself at Aldo. He'll do what he always does, and if Aldo is smart, he'll come out the way he did before he became the champ. With absolute intensity and the desire to finish the fight instantly. And if he does that, he'll finish it in 60 seconds or less.

If he doesn't, it then becomes McGregor's fight I reckon. That's how I think it'll go as well. Aldo will come out almost DETERMINED not to let the pre-fight stuff bother him and stick to the plan, and McGregor's smart enough not to change a game plan for anything. What he's done has worked so far, so why throw caution to the wind now?

I watched the NYC presser last night. McGregor is getting worse. I know he is playing a role, but he is classless. All he ever talks about are his suits (who gives a fuck?) his money (which is tacky in the extreme) and how he is going to beat everyone at every weight. And the most classless thing that he said was that he was going to end Aldo's career (you just don't say that to a fighter) and talk of killing people does the sport no favours.

I actually want Aldo to beat him. I remember his first post fight presser, before the hype train took off. He was almost in tears and couldn't believe he was on the dole one week, and pocketing the 50G's for FOTN the next. Humble McGregor was much more palatable.

Aldo kept it professional, as did the boring one, but Lawler stole the show for me, cool, calm, collected, killer.

The old McGregor was more humble, but the new one is more entertaining. Half the people will want to see him live up to his own hype, and the other half will want to see someone shut his mouth and stop the hype. Perfect business plan for the UFC really. Aldo will keep quiet because he knows he wouldnt be as effective as McGregor, so he plays a different game and just stays cool and calm and quiet.

Aldo is going to destroy him, so would Frankie Edgar.

Yeah it's hard to dislike Lawler, don't know anyone that hates him. I'm a big Rory fan so staying neutral for that one.

I dont thunk Frankie would destroy him, McGregor would be too big I think. Considering Edgar could cut and make 135, and McGregor is already bigger than Aldo, I think McGregor would be too big for Frankie. Id love to see that, and see if I am wrong. Regardless of the title, I think McGregor could fight Frankie in the next 2 fights.

I dont think anyone could hate Rory or Robbie, but Rory is a bit bland some of the time. I think it will be a close 5 round fight, but I see Robbie taking it

McGregor is still doing the right things to endear himself to Dana, so I don't really mind him doing them. To the purists, it's pathetic. Hell, to ME it's pathetic. But it's also understandable. McGregor's going to make a fortune in UFC even if he loses now, which is the likely outcome.

The casuals will eat this stuff up and buy the PPV, either to love or to hate McGregor. It'll be the biggest Featherweight fight to date, and I'd imagine the biggest for a long time after too.

Thank God that tour is over....................

Post the last of the embedded series McGregor should be out of the media for a good while hopfully focusing on training. He tends to grate and wear folk out with over exposure.

Its time for him to go away for a while.

He is great for the sport in many ways but bloody tiresome to watch and listen to a lot of the time.

I still hope he can do it against Aldo, but I am perversely interested in seeing how he would react to a defeat. And if he is to lose I would like it to be badly, so he cant mouth off about how he "nearly had him" "got done by a sucker punch" or what ever excuse is convenient at the time..............

He did Schaub and Callens "Fighter and the kid" podcast last week which I love, and he fuckin ruined it. It is normally great fun, with plenty of laughs, and I thought "if conor goes in and acts naturally this will be great". he didnt, he immediately started talking in that way he does when he's promoting himself, and absolutely ruined it.

A load of pissed up twats being very "Irish". Can't really blame people from other countries depicting us that way judging by yesterday.

Was so bad that a lot of Irish people are rotting for Aldo now!

Still going to be a fascinating fight. Will be interested to see how McGregor reacts if he gets in trouble.

Haven't seen the Irish presser thing everyone's talking about but doesn't anyone thing the way McGregor acts is helping to generate interest and talking points?

As a newbie coming into the sport I must say the way he acts has caught my attention and makes me interested in seeing his fight to see if he can back up his claims and swagger which is surely the point?

Listening to you all talk sounds like you're worried about the purity of the art form in some way like he's taking away from that which is fine but as I said to me,it's added a sense of excitement and something I'm desperate to see.It's made me have an invested interest in it rather than just watching a PPV for the sake of it.

I think everyone knows the upside of the McGregor character for the UFC and they see it as a good thing overall.

That still doesnt take away from the fact that he can grow weary on some folk. Not to the extent that they will switch off. Not even close. In fact those that grow to hate the guy will be just as invested in the fight as those that love him. Its perfect for the UFC

Edited by ThomThomDrum

Haven't seen the Irish presser thing everyone's talking about but doesn't anyone thing the way McGregor acts is helping to generate interest and talking points?

No question. There is no bad publicity in this case. Hes one of the biggest draws in UFC history. People who aren't fans of the sport will buy the PPV just to see him get beaten. I have no issue with his antics really aside from when he turns into the stereotypical rough Dubliner. Like a load of the lads asking questions in the press conference acted.

My biggest issue with it is that it gives non fans the impression that every MMA fan is a fucking idiot, irish or not. And that MMA is an idiotic sport. Allowing pissed up arseholes to get on a mic at a "press conference" and scream - "you're fucking dead" at a professional athlete, whilst the president of the organisation laughs and uses language of a similar nature does nothing to endear the sport to non fans. It comes across as worse pantomime than WWE, and thats saying something.

My biggest issue with it is that it gives non fans the impression that every MMA fan is a fucking idiot, irish or not. And that MMA is an idiotic sport. Allowing pissed up arseholes to get on a mic at a "press conference" and scream - "you're fucking dead" at a professional athlete, whilst the president of the organisation laughs and uses language of a similar nature does nothing to endear the sport to non fans. It comes across as worse pantomime than WWE, and thats saying something.

Yep. And throw in the recent relaxed attitude towards all types of drugs and its not a great advertisement for the sport.