Ufc

just/john

Cowboy is gonna knock him the fuck out. I like alvarez, but he isnt going to be able to handle Cowboy. They did need to strengthen that card after DC and Jones got scuppered.

The UFC needs some top quality cards, and soon. There have been some decent ones, but I dont remember one really really getting me excited since Weidmans last fight.

T.J vs Barao on Saturday and I'm looking forward to it. I think T.J will win convincingly.

I think it might be a bit closer than you think. I reckon its gonna be a war. Barao is no slouch. Don't get me wrong, I love TJ, but he isnt going to make Barao look as ordinary as he did the first time around. Barao got a massive wakeup call, he is going to be as dangerous as he's ever been, the way he lost the belt will be a huge cause of shame for him, he will be right up for it. I do agree that TJ will win though.

If Barao loses again he will most likely move division. I think it will be a lot closer and I'm going with Barao. Should be a good fight and it's the only reason I'm bothered about 177. Not PPV quality but good enough for a fight night card. The amount of events is hurting the quality of PPV cards. 178 looks awesome even though it has lost Jones/DC.

Good main card over the weekend, stunned at the size of the arena (under 4k) when you think of the big names on the card as opposed to UFC177 which was a PPV.

Lauzon is class, I know Chiesa was kind of bossing him up to the point of the stoppage, but Lauzon has been bossed before and come through. His fight against Jim Miller was one of my fave fights, he was also classy in the post presser, when asked if he wanted to call anyone out by a journo, he replied "my job is to prepare for fights, not make them".

I hope the 'reem is gonna knock it on the head now, he is well past his best by now.

Not watched Bellator yet, but looking forward to it, there are some decent names on that card.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the best card of 2014 last night.

So many great moments: The return of Cruz and Zingano who both looked awesome. Both are getting title shots and so they should.

Cowboy Cerrone with another win and wants to fight again in Nov/Dec, surely has to be considered fighter of the year. I thought Alvarez would have won but that leg got picked apart after the first round.

Controversial stuff with Romero/Kennedy, Romero took an extra 30 seconds on the stool and then gets the finish.

Mighty Mouse wins in dominating fashion again as most of us expected, he is a great fighter.

And of course Conor McGregor did exactly what he said he would do - finish Poirier in the first round. How far can this guy go? I think he should get Swanson/Edgar winner. He is such a character and is well on his way to becoming the biggest star in mixed martial arts.

And of course Conor McGregor did exactly what he said he would do - finish Poirier in the first round. How far can this guy go? I think he should get Swanson/Edgar winner. He is such a character and is well on his way to becoming the biggest star in mixed martial arts.

He grew up a mile down the road from me so I'm obviously following his career closely. He still hasn't been tested really. And that was a bit of a weak win last night. A loose punch and two or three follow ups punches. Will be interesting to see what happens if he gets in trouble or goes a few rounds.

But hes certainly exciting!

He grew up a mile down the road from me so I'm obviously following his career closely. He still hasn't been tested really. And that was a bit of a weak win last night. A loose punch and two or three follow ups punches. Will be interesting to see what happens if he gets in trouble or goes a few rounds.

But hes certainly exciting!

I think thats a little unfair, Poirier is a top class fighter. CMG had him in the palm of his hand. I have followed him for quite a while now, and I think he is the real deal, I just think he needs to reel in the cockiness a little bit, it gets old very quick and doesn't do him any favours from a class point of view. I really do think he is in a position where in a decade or so, people may speak of him in the same terms as a GSP or an Anderson Silva, but people rarely respect a gobshite.

Cowboy has been one of my faves for a while too, and he just gets more and more impressive with every fight. That barrage from Alvarez in R1 would have finished many fighters, but he just soaked em up and went on in his usual style. Credit to Alvarez too, he has got a bright future at the UFC.

• 1 month later...