Bringing The Heavy

Guest .jay.

so Glastonbury had now delved into the world of Hip Hop and flirted with the likes of Jay-Z who could i guess be described as Gangster Rap (i hate that term but it necessary for my point) do you think Eavis will soon also delve into the heavier side of rock and book Metal and Hard Rock Acts too.

surely if Jay-Z can headline the Pyramid stage and sing

"f**k all y'all haters blow dick

I spits the game for those that throw bricks

Money cash hoes money cash chicks what

Sex murder and mayhem romance for the street

Only wife of mines is a life of crime

And since, life's a bitch in mini-skirts and big chests

How can I not flirt with death

That's life's a nigga, long as life prevent us

We gonna sin a lot and pray to Christ forgive us

f**k it"

surely it's about time the heavier side of Rock got a look somewhere at the festival in isn't it?

I'm expecting replies along the line of "Download and Reading cater for that" etc but my tastes are very eclectic and love lots of choice of all manner of music at festivals and Glastonbury is well known for this but they seem to ignore this genre and it just seems a little narrowminded and short sighted.

Edited by .jay.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be great to see a big metal act at Glasto - Metallica, AC/DC, Slipknot say. Doubt it would happen as Mr Eavis would be worried about metal fans themselves, not that they behave badly, but their penchant for stage diving, mosh pits and crowd circles would be a problem.

Though would metal fans fork out for Glastonbury so soon after Download?

Not sure if it'll happen or not. It's worries about a roskilde event happening; whilst there have been fatatalities on site from overdoses etc, that's been something that was out of Eavis' control, where you couldn't blame yourself. He obviously feels that having heavier music would increase the risk of a roskilde type event happening and we must respect that...the farm is his home afterall and no-one would want that on their hands.

...the barriers might go someway to alleviate those fears, but the pyramid is still on a gradient and so momentum could occur in any crush.

The sad thing is that I'm not sure there's much higher risk with a heavy band compared to a huge band such as radiohead, or a huge dance act...roskilde was mainly a result of a combination of bad weather and a malfunctioning PA resulting in people rushing forward to hear. Considering how slippy glasto gets on a wet year, the gradient & the crowd numbers; the risk would probably be very similar if the PA went I'd have thought.

Not sure if it'll happen or not. It's worries about a roskilde event happening; whilst there have been fatatalities on site from overdoses etc, that's been something that was out of Eavis' control, where you couldn't blame yourself. He obviously feels that having heavier music would increase the risk of a roskilde type event happening and we must respect that...the farm is his home afterall and no-one would want that on their hands.

...the barriers might go someway to alleviate those fears, but the pyramid is still on a gradient and so momentum could occur in any crush.

The sad thing is that I'm not sure there's much higher risk with a heavy band compared to a huge band such as radiohead, or a huge dance act...roskilde was mainly a result of a combination of bad weather and a malfunctioning PA resulting in people rushing forward to hear. Considering how slippy glasto gets on a wet year, the gradient & the crowd numbers; the risk would probably be very similar if the PA went I'd have thought.

Edited by .jay.

QOTSA haven't played there, and i wouldn't put any of those into the field of heavy rock or metal BUT i do get what you are getting at as they do tend to draw a more aggressive/energetic crowd much the same as Pendulum do as well and didn't they play last year?

if these acts are acceptable then why are some others not just because of the genre of music they play.

and dave has never played drums live with them anywhere in Europe and only on a couple of occasions in the US for TV apperances etc.

really? Then I wonder what Dave was doing at Glastonbury that year. He was there, it was said at the time, to drum with QOTSA. :P

(I didn't see them play myself, but I certainly saw Dave backstage)

and they were called Gamma Ray prior to Queens of the Stone Age never Queens of the New Stone Age.

they were certainly billed as that for Glasto the first year they played.

The line-up info as released by Glasto is here:

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/festivals/glas...99/stages.shtml

(I know it's the info as released by Glasto - that page was a part of the official Glastonbury website for that year, which I ran on a domain that I owned)

Edited by eFestivals