Daily Star reports...

Guest thomasowen

I know they're popular & have racked up the ticket sales, but this years supposed headliner's just don't seem to have that 'wow appeal' that last years did. Greenday would be worth a watch, but Arctic Monkeys & KOL have toured the f**k out of the UK, this appearance would follow on from the KOL 2nd arena tour of their last album. Last year the RATM reunion was pretty special & Metallica hadn't played in ages. Same applies to previous years with Pearl Jam, Pixies & The Pumpkins...this years lot just seem a tad underwhelming.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2010? If I'm a good boy hopefully we'll get Blur AND The Stone Roses.

As for Pixies. Not the biggest headliner Reading/Leeds has had but the fact that they're one of the three most influential Indie bands ever (other two being Smiths and Stone Roses) and Reading/Leeds is pretty affiliated with the Indie scene, it'd make sense to for them to headline. And also maybe they couldn't find anyone that year to fit typical Friday headline criteria.

I agree mate.

Kings of Leon have turned into a pop group. They weren't great before, but their new album is a total sellout.

Arctic Monkeys have always been a pop group, whether they or sections of their fans like it or not, and don't excite me.

Green Day play the same show every time they play at Reading and I don't need to see them do it for a third time.

I really like KOL, but what makes you hink this could be their 'defining show' ahead of their Glasto spot or any of their other numerous arena shows? Arctic Monkeys have played every Academy, Apollo, Arena & festival pretty muc hin the UK several times so the fact they've had 12 months off is hardly a cause for excitement. I just think that a festival headliner should be someone special who you don't get a chance to see on a regular basis.

I really like KOL, but what makes you hink this could be their 'defining show' ahead of their Glasto spot or any of their other numerous arena shows? Arctic Monkeys have played every Academy, Apollo, Arena & festival pretty muc hin the UK several times so the fact they've had 12 months off is hardly a cause for excitement. I just think that a festival headliner should be someone special who you don't get a chance to see on a regular basis.
Edited by VCK

Your talking about pop as if its a bad thing. Some of the greatest bands of all time are pop. KOL are not sell outs, that is how cheap journalists have described their new album. It has been a natural progression over 4 albums, and touring with u2 has rubbed of on them.
Edited by Mike Patton

Pixies aren't a large band, but there was enough hype around them then to headline. If the cure had been away for that long then maybe they could headline, but at the moment they really aren't 'big' enough (I'm talking album sales and ticket sales) compared to the average headliner. I know they sell a fair amount of tickets but not necersarily to a reading leeds audience.

Pixies were heavily hyped by NME at the beginning of their reunion, that sparked a lot of it.

If the same thing happens to The Cure, don't bet against them headlining, especially if they're struggling for headliners now GD aren't doing it.

*Should point out I'm still very much hoping, rather than expecting The Cure to play.

What makes you think Green Day aren't headlining?

The Cure, although worthy, are not really big enough to headline the main stage at Reading. In fact, I would rule any possibility of it happening out altogether.

Perhaps they could headline the NME tent...but that'd be all the headlining they would be doing.

No, I don't agree.

They have moved away from their roots and original style, which was decent enough, but they are now squarely in the mainstream pop market. The term 'pop' doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing, but when a band shifts from what got them going in the first place to a generic and bland pop sound, it's quite disappointing.
Edited by thomasowen

What makes you think Green Day aren't headlining?

The Cure, although worthy, are not really big enough to headline the main stage at Reading. In fact, I would rule any possibility of it happening out altogether.

Perhaps they could headline the NME tent...but that'd be all the headlining they would be doing.

In RHCP's case I dont see how you could argue differently. In terms of Lyrics it's an unquestionable step up, and they have become some of the best players in 'stadium music' again unquestionably. I dont see how my opinion of it being 'their most acomplished album' is 'comedy genius'. I didn't know I was that funny.

American Idiot was a massive departure from Greendays typical sound, and it was brilliantly recieved. Whilst I say its arguable to say its the best punk album since london's calling, I cant even think of a 21st century punk album that comes close.

how can anyone give RHCP's lyrics (from any album) any praise? There's deeper nursery rhymes. :rolleyes::)

And I'd forgotten that London Calling was released in 1999. :P;)