Daily Star reports...

Guest thomasowen

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the people saying this is a weak set of headliners, it's stronger than past years, such as:

2006 - Arctics are bigger than Franz were in '06, KOL are probably at the same height of fame as Muse - Headlined Glasto, played arenas, 2nd headlined prior to headlining Reading, Green Day are obviously bigger than Pearl Jam.

2004 - Arctics bigger than The Darkness, KOL bigger than White Stripes, Green Day currently bigger than they were when they headlined in 2004.

2002 - Arctics about as big as The Strokes, Foos in 2002 weren't yet the stadium-conquering giants they are today whereas KOL are well on their way, Green Day obviously aren't considered more legendary than GNR but certainly bigger than The Prodigy.

While i agree with 2006 and I could argue 2004 you carnt put 2002 in that situation because the line up was just amazing all the way down, instead of the last few years were we have had top class headliners and mediocre backing line up we had

Guns N Roses, Prodigy, Strokes, Foo Fighters, Offspring, Slipkont, Incubus, nofx, Pulp, James Adiction, weezer, white stripes, muse. ash, sum41, hives, A, Less than jake on the main stage alone!

If lostprophets are shifted up one which i cant see it'd be bad as download had to do that.

Iron Maiden - Would they have a reason to

Muse - Can't see it, getting ready to record and time off.

Faithless - defo more V

Radiohead - The much wanted one that i can't see happening

Green day - Would make sense for the USA 1st and nothing is concrete on a july tour isit?

Linkin Park - Would be awesome to see and did headline download 2 years ago and would fit easily with most 2nd headliners.

Pearl jam - Can't see it

The Strokes - Not a sunday band and nor are the others by a mile.

Franz - Not sunday and wont be after they only supporting The Cure

My Chemical Romance - Not doing anything at mo

Kaisers - Just like Franz and not big enough

Foos - Taking a break

The White Stripes - Saturday only really

System Of A Down - Serj not with them at mo and they'd play 2nd

Blur - Obvs not

The Prodigy - Would they headline Friday IOW and still play, I can't remember it happening

Blink 182 - Don't think so, not yet

Stereophonics, not for this day and defo not big enough to headline reading now

The Stone Roses - A lot have reported them not being good in 1996

Sound garden - Would 2nd headline?

Any others i'v not mentioned who potentially could?

Who's actually reaslistically possible from them. The enter shikari mamanger has basically said they're playing reading and has said arctics, kol n green day are not the headliners

Edited by ste4_20

Pixies are a large band. When they got back together, tickets were like gold dust for their shows. It was big news.

Unlike a lot of other bands that split up and are forgotten, Pixies continued to get more and more fans as the years went by and had a massive demand for tickets to their comeback shows.

i dont see green day headlining the fest after playing a july tour without going america 1st. what's your sources they're not playing that are higher than the sources straight from festival republic that says they're pretty sure they're not. seems weird as soon as it was announced it wudn't be happening, a uk tour emerged.

linkin park green day and maiden i think for 2010 i reckon it could be

Pixies aren't a large band, but there was enough hype around them then to headline. If the cure had been away for that long then maybe they could headline, but at the moment they really aren't 'big' enough (I'm talking album sales and ticket sales) compared to the average headliner. I know they sell a fair amount of tickets but not necersarily to a reading leeds audience.

Everyone wants at least one headliner that excites or interests them. It's meant to be the pinnacle and peak of each day, so if there's nothing for someone then you can't blame them.

I won't be taking up my VIP ticket if it's Arctic Monkeys, Kings of Leon and Green Day...not worth going for those three.

Pixies are a large band. When they got back together, tickets were like gold dust for their shows. It was big news.

Unlike a lot of other bands that split up and are forgotten, Pixies continued to get more and more fans as the years went by and had a massive demand for tickets to their comeback shows.

2010? If I'm a good boy hopefully we'll get Blur AND The Stone Roses.

As for Pixies. Not the biggest headliner Reading/Leeds has had but the fact that they're one of the three most influential Indie bands ever (other two being Smiths and Stone Roses) and Reading/Leeds is pretty affiliated with the Indie scene, it'd make sense to for them to headline. And also maybe they couldn't find anyone that year to fit typical Friday headline criteria.

I know they're popular & have racked up the ticket sales, but this years supposed headliner's just don't seem to have that 'wow appeal' that last years did. Greenday would be worth a watch, but Arctic Monkeys & KOL have toured the f**k out of the UK, this appearance would follow on from the KOL 2nd arena tour of their last album. Last year the RATM reunion was pretty special & Metallica hadn't played in ages. Same applies to previous years with Pearl Jam, Pixies & The Pumpkins...this years lot just seem a tad underwhelming.

KOL have played alot, just like the Killers had, but since I like them I don't mind them headlining. Arctic Monkeys have been away a while now. Not really played here for at least a year.

If the 3rd is a legend, it will be a completely normal set of headliners.