The problem with the Thursday night.

Guest bombfrog

You probably are, yes..

I was convinced the Levellers last year was going to be a huge hazard, in the end it was packed but not dangerously so.

There might well be 100,000 people on site, but there still tends to be a wide enough variety of stuff / places on Thursday to spread people around - and of course many people will just be at their tents or bar relaxing. Or wandering aimlessly.

If you're worried about overcrowding, I can think of multiple areas that are affected much more - try walking down the eastern half of the railway track at about 1am for example.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

obviously entertainment on thursday is great. its just the queens head that was a bit shit there wasn't too much in the program at that time so it got packed out we were outside and even though the sound was shit we could just about hear them then some twat decided to do a sound test on the other stage and suddenly i couldnt hear glasvegas at all. very irritating. the other stuiff opn later was great i buzzxed off the levellers despite the middle of a puddle being the only place free to stand where i vcould see the band.

My Thursday was a bit of a disaster last year... we spent AGES looking for leftfield in a drunken state for the Levellers, and then my friends decided they wanted to go back to the tent after all, and didn't trust me on my own, so made me come with them. I proceeded to throw an actual tantrum and cry hysterically because I wanted to see the Levellers, and another friend thought she had a near-death experience... it was all very dramatic.

its fine as it is and Thursday has to be the best night because there is no 'headliner' 'laid on'

you're still clean and energetic and exploring the wonderland that you've missed all year [or two..] so all is good

there is also the anticipation of the weekend to come so leave the Thursday well alone

its fine as it is and Thursday has to be the best night because there is no 'headliner' 'laid on'

you're still clean and energetic and exploring the wonderland that you've missed all year [or two..] so all is good

there is also the anticipation of the weekend to come so leave the Thursday well alone

absolutely, my favourite night of the festival, a real sense of 'Yes! we're here, we've made it'. Always a fantastic atmosphere with random outbreaks of cheering, plenty of wandering around and stirring up loads of memeories of festivals past.

It will be interesting to see what they have instead of the leftfield stage as Im sure that attracts a lot of punters.

I always try and head there myself, id never seen the levellers before last year, nor hard-fi the year before, so really enjoyed both those thurs nights.

Personally I would like shangri-la/ trashcity (or whatever late night thing is organised) to be on on the thursday as well.

I'm pretty sure there was stuff going on in shangri la and trash city on thursday night last year

We arrived at about 6AM Thursday morning so we set up and had an hours rest. After waking up I explored for a bit and got some breakfast near The Other Stage. After doing this I headed back and we sat by the tents and listened to the music pumping from the Leftfield Stage (basically Grandmaster Flash being repeated all weekend!). Mid afternoon we headed up to the Brothers Bar and sat and drank for a good while which was nice. I then wandered off on my own for a bit, had a vegetarian curry (I'm not even vegetarian) and then puked it up in the Jazzworld portaloos (mmmmmm nice). The rest of the day is very blurry..... AND THEN IT RAIINNNEEEEDD

Shangri la was certainly open, Thursday was probably my favourite night last year... cider bus meet, then off to Shangri la then the Chai tea tent and finally wobbled up to the Stone circle... perfect!

I spent the Thursday night in a tent behind the comedy stage, where my mates were working/camping.

It's a little hazy, but I distinctly remember karaoke. I sang Ruby, bit of crowd interaction. Then me and my dad sang a bit of Chas N Dave.

My mate stole the show though, his rendition of lady in red (which included dancing with a big dude in a red t shirt) will stay with me forever. As will the big dude in the red t-shirt getting up straight away to sing stand by your man.

Thursday was the best day at glasto for me.

Yeah bands are good, but if you want atmosphere then thursday is just... wow.

I arrived earlty that morning at like 5:00 ish, set up the tent in the kids camp, slept a while, went down to the main site for the first time and spent the whole time looking around the site with my mouth wide open in awe. Went to the area with the hill around the dragon, climbed right to the top, didn't look back, turned around to see an amazing view then sleeped in the sun for a few hours. Got up and it was night, in my tent I was buzzing, random cheering from campsites that were full, listening to the levellers which I didn't get to see cause it waas raining and we couldn't be bothered to wait in the rain, completely in love with the place.

And now to do it all over again next year.

Thursday is definately the place to be.

I really need to calm down when it comes to talking about my glasto experience...

Cheers,

BlackHole2006

Totally agree with the bombfrog's point though - Thursdays there's so little advertised that anything big does get swamped - We were standing in the "tent rain run-off zone" (! i.e. just outside the tent where you get dripped on!) for One Night Only at the Queen's Head with no chance of getting inside (well not for those like me who are no good at weaving through packed crowds), then for Levellers we ended up across the road at the Information Point - out of the rain and still with a reasonable view of the action!

I think this year will be better though as the festival is officially running from the Wednesday, so presumably this means a publicised line-up for all five days, and hence people will spread more. Now where is this damn line-up??!

For me Thursday is the best day of the whole weekend. I know a lot of people here spend the whole weekend just wandering, but I do have a vague plan of where and who I want to see Friday-Sunday, however with Thursday there's none of that, no looking at your watch or getting out the guide to check for clashes.

Just meander around the site, sit down for a while for a beer/cider/smoke, get up again for a wander, have a dance by a wine bar, sit down again for a beer and a chat, join in the random cheering in the campsites, get up again for a wander, visit the cider bus, talk to some strangers, have a boogie to a random jazz band, go for another wander......and so on and on till you drop. Just soak in the atmosphere!

But I did manage to catch the Levs last year, in fact we were in the centre of the tent! Bloody superb!

I find the problems with free nights at Festivals is that you just sit on the campsite and make a huge dent in your massive pile of drink, setting you up with a terrible hangover on the 1st day of music.

Clearly the best way to get rid of this is to get back on the drink. . . giving you a 2 or 3 day hangover the next day when you are not even half way through the event. . . certainly that's what T in the Park is like, I'm sure Glasto will be no different.

The festivals been 'offically' from the Wednesday ever since I've been going (past 8 Glastos) I don't think this year will be any different?

I think Thursday's a great day for wandering personally, I've never taken much notice of whats advertised, I love just stumbling across whatever I find and taking in the atmosphere :lol:

No it hasn't only this year has it gone for being billed as for the full five days. Previously it's been three with the option to arrive early. From what I've been told although the main stages won't start up until Friday there will be stages hosting music from at least 11am on Thursday

Was going to try to catch the Levellers last year but ended up in the car next door to the Leftfield(keeping out of the rain) Had far too many beers/ciders with some complete strangers including two very nice fellas, one who looked remarkably like Chris Martin and the other bore a striking resemblance to Psycho Paul from Ideal.

Thoroughly enjoyed the evening

I find the problems with free nights at Festivals is that you just sit on the campsite and make a huge dent in your massive pile of drink, setting you up with a terrible hangover on the 1st day of music.

Clearly the best way to get rid of this is to get back on the drink. . . giving you a 2 or 3 day hangover the next day when you are not even half way through the event. . . certainly that's what T in the Park is like, I'm sure Glasto will be no different.

Thursday was the best day at glasto for me.

Yeah bands are good, but if you want atmosphere then thursday is just... wow.

I arrived earlty that morning at like 5:00 ish, set up the tent in the kids camp, slept a while, went down to the main site for the first time and spent the whole time looking around the site with my mouth wide open in awe. Went to the area with the hill around the dragon, climbed right to the top, didn't look back, turned around to see an amazing view then sleeped in the sun for a few hours. Got up and it was night, in my tent I was buzzing, random cheering from campsites that were full, listening to the levellers which I didn't get to see cause it waas raining and we couldn't be bothered to wait in the rain, completely in love with the place.

And now to do it all over again next year.

Thursday is definately the place to be.

I really need to calm down when it comes to talking about my glasto experience...

Cheers,

BlackHole2006