The problem with the Thursday night.

Guest bombfrog

As much as I hate to complain about anything at Glasonbury because It's quite clearly my favourite 5 days of the year, there is one thing that has really pissed me off for the last 2 years.....

GFL don't have a license for music on the Thursday night, yet despite that they keep trying to put small-scale entertainment on. The trouble is that by Thursday night the site probably has over 100k people in it, most of them looking for somehting to do.

Now, I'd be quite hapy to just sit round the campfire on the Thursday night but if there is entertainment listed in the guide then my mates will seek it out. This has led to a lot of wasted time and disappointment over the last few years, e.g......

2007 - 80's disco/soulwax (or was it 2 many djs) in the queens head, wasted walk to the other end of the site as it was over capacity an hour before it started

2008 - Glasvegas, Roisin Murphy and more in the queens head - Couldn't even get near it,

2009 - DJ Yoda, Silent disco - Another wasted trip because there was a massive 1 in 1 out queue to get in 2 hours before Yoda started. God knows what the people in there had to do if they needed the loo.

So, am I the only person who thinks it would be better not to advertise any music at all on the Thursday if only 1/10th of the visitors will actually have a chance of seeing any of it?

Edited by bombfrog

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I hate to complain about anything at Glasonbury because It's quite clearly my favourite 5 days of the year, there is one thing that has really pissed me off for the last 2 years.....

GFL don't have a license for music on the Thursday night, yet despite that they keep trying to put small-scale entertainment on. The trouble is that by Thursday night the site probably has over 100k people in it, most of them looking for somehting to do.

Now, I'd be quite hapy to just sit round the campfire on the Thursday night but if there is entertainment listed in the guide then my mates will seek it out. This has led to a lot of wasted time and disappointment over the last few years, e.g......

2007 - 80's disco/soulwax (or was it 2 many djs) in the queens head, wasted walk to the other end of the site as it was over capacity an hour before it started

2008 - Glasvegas, Roisin Murphy and more in the queens head - Couldn't even get near it,

2009 - DJ Yoda, Silent disco - Another wasted trip because there was a massive 1 in 1 out queue to get in 2 hours before Yoda started. God knows what the people in there had to do if they needed the loo.

So, am I the only person who thinks it would be better not to advertise any music at all on the Thursday if only 1/10th of the visitors will actually have a chance of seeing any of it?

Last year on Thursday night we had a great night up in The Park! There was something dance oriented going on at the Introducing Stage, and a great DJ in one of the tents - like the coolest wedding disco ever with a fantastic selection of classics!

There was also a good band down at Greenpeace - whose name escapes me now.

We decided quite early on that the whole world would be at the Levellers so we just wandered and found plenty to do!

I was in the Queens Head , dancing my socks off until it closed !

I admit I did not go in until the early hours , but there was no problem getting in !

I am quite happy with the way things go at the mo !

Too much entertainment means too much choice !

B)

The Levellers wasn't as packed as I expected. I mean the tent was full but I'm sure you could get in with preserverence. I was getting soaked on the outside so I sat in my tent (about 40 metres from the LeftField) and I chilled with a cider and could hear The Levellers really clearly.

They do publish what's on before Friday -

for the Park see page 41 of last year's programme.

Queens Head - page 49

Left Field - page 57

Dance Lounge - page 60

Silent world/Pussy Parlure - page 63

Igloo - page 65

Cinema field - page 67

Shanri La - page 77-79

It just requires you to read the whole programme before Thursday!

I must admit I bimble about on the Wednesday and Thursday without really aiming to see anybody.

published or not.

However I was going to check out the Levellers last year but I was too tired from Wednesday night and ended up at the brothers bar drinking Cider and eating Free PieMinister pies in the pouring rain.

Does not get any better than. B)

I must admit I bimble about on the Wednesday and Thursday without really aiming to see anybody.

published or not.

However I was going to check out the Levellers last year but I was too tired from Wednesday night and ended up at the brothers bar drinking Cider and eating Free PieMinister pies in the pouring rain.

Does not get any better than. B)

They do publish what's on before Friday -

for the Park see page 41 of last year's programme.

Queens Head - page 49

Left Field - page 57

Dance Lounge - page 60

Silent world/Pussy Parlure - page 63

Igloo - page 65

Cinema field - page 67

Shanri La - page 77-79

It just requires you to read the whole programme before Thursday!

My Thursday was a bit of a disaster last year... we spent AGES looking for leftfield in a drunken state for the Levellers, and then my friends decided they wanted to go back to the tent after all, and didn't trust me on my own, so made me come with them. I proceeded to throw an actual tantrum and cry hysterically because I wanted to see the Levellers, and another friend thought she had a near-death experience... it was all very dramatic.

the igloo was class in 08 had to queue for about 20 mins but had a great one raving to monkeyknifefight with the 360 deg visuals!

and on the thurs in 07 i had the best sober dance of my life in one of the dance tents to annie nightingale's launch party.

so i've been pretty lucky, i guess.

walked around in the rain alot. saw a bit of cut/copy in the dance tent and went to see Roisin after. decided to go back to me tent feeling v wet rather than watch the whole of her set. after that it all got better. Stone circle then onto trash city. Was great on thurs cos it wasnt too crushed there.