The Documentary Film Thread

The Nal

I'm ploughing my way through the ascent of man. It's a bit dated visually, and some of the theory is out of date, but in terms of message and pure information, it's amazing!

And I can't think of many docs that feature Floyd on their soundtrack either ...

Edited by sifi

• 2 months later...

I watched "Room 237" on saturday, loved it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2085910/?ref_=sr_1

Its an in depth study into the themes and subliminals in Kubricks "The Shining". You have to suspend your cynicism a little at times, but there are some great studies into the "impossible architecture" and the hidden meanings in the movie.

Its important to note before you watch it that Kubrick was very interested in subliminal messages, he worked with a number of advertising agencies to learn their techniques on framing and set design, sight lines and symmetry etc, and that NOTHING in a kubrick scene is there by accident - right down to artwork in the rooms, props on shelves in the background.

Whilst Kubrick may have made a few minor continuity errors in the layman's eyes, he deliberately moves furniture between shots, changes actors clothes etc. To tell you any more would spoil the experience for you.

It was fascinating.

(and if this piques your interest a little - check out Rob Ager's work on youtube - he does some very in depth analysis of most of Kubricks work, as well as lots of other fascinating stuff on different movies hidden themes etc)

Edited by t8yman

I mentioned this in the main film thread but check out The Interuptors. About a group of former gang members who now go in to try and diffuse arguments between gangs in Chicago. Kind of like watching The Wire played out for real. It's both uplifting and depressing at the same time, very much worth a watch

• 3 weeks later...

watched "The Four Year Plan" last week, its a doc about when Salvio Briatore and a few others bought QPR and saved them from extinction. You don't even need to like football to enjoy it. It was awesome. Its a little hard to track down, but there are versions of it out there in "the usual places".

A really enjoyable watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2006869/

Watched a couple of docs over the weekend.

Watched Beware of Mr Baker. Can highly recommend it. Such a unique character.

Also watched The History of the Eagles. Good documentary, very honest. Warts n all. It reminded me of what a limited back catalogue they have though for one of the "biggest bands of all time". They really only have a handful of tunes. Also reminded me of how weak a lot of their music is.

• 3 months later...

I really recommend the everything is a remix documentary. It's only half an hour long in total, but it's a really interesting take on ideas, human progress and culture over time and how essentially nothing is truly original. It may seem trite but it's a really worthwhile watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coGpmA4saEk

• 1 month later...

Watched "Made Of Stone" - The stone roses movie last night. Disappointed TBH. As a real fan of Shane Meadows work, and a lover of music documentaries (the BBC film "Blood on the turntable" was the very best doc I have ever seen on the roses, and possibly the most interesting music doc I have seen), it just didnt tick all of the right boxes.

What little history of the Roses that was in there was really well done, and interesting to watch, but then the film descends quickly into a far too long segment about the Warrington gig announced just after they reformed, which basically focused on the queue and the people in it for far too long. It then moved onto the subsequent UK tour and culminated with the Heaton Park gig(s). The heaton park footage was badly suited to the movie, because it was neither "documentaryised" - nor the best example of performance footage.

Overall I found it did neither of the 2 jobs it appeared to set out to be (a documentary and a performance film) IMHO.

for those that havent seen it

Edited by t8yman

I was really looking forward to that too, going to stick it on tonight . I was hoping for more footage from the heaton park gigs but apprently there's only an extended version of fools gold?

Hopefully they might release that sometime as a standalone concert, i went to the second night and it was one of the best gigs ive been to, would be great to see it all again.

Haven't see that other one so i'll have a look at that too this weekend, cheers

Edited by modey

• 2 months later...

Watched "The Tillman Story" last night

http://youtu.be/Ad2WOOOojyg

incredibly well made doc about a story I was vaguely familiar with, i'll spoilerise this, even though this is what I knew before watching it

Pat Tillman was an NFL star, with a multi million dollar contract, the day after 9/11 he quit his contract and signed up to serve in the military, feeling an incredible sense of duty to his country. He was killed in a friendly fire incident in Afghanistan on his second tour, the Military and the government tried to turn his death into a hero story and ultimately a piece of recruitment propaganda. Initially they said he was killed saving his comrades in an ambush - what happened was far from that, and when his family learned about the lies, and the threats made to his squadmates to keep quiet, the story blew up. His mothers' tenacity in seeking the truth is amazing to see.

Apart from anything, Tillman was an incredibly humble man, with a surprising sense of loyalty and duty, proven by his wishes written down before he left the US, and some of the promises he made to those closest to him. He looked like a "dumb jock" in some respects, but he was more of a man than most of us could wish to be.

Highly, highly recommended.

Edited by t8yman