Cricket

greeneyes1980

holy shit! I know not many people on here care, but Ireland just chased down 328!!! to beat england.

Take my hat off to them. Fantastic

Aye, Hussein saying that there were too many associations sides in the competition at half time looks a tad silly now.

In truth though, aside from the excellent innings of O'Brien, dropped catches in the field were to blame.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

...seriously...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What the f**k?! We are SHITE!! ITs not even a recognised sport over here.

Don't worry, we'll nick your best players for a couple of years, and then not take them to the world cup next time :unsure::lol:

Great performance from Ireland though, hats off to them. Hope they get to the quarter finals. England really need to sort their bowling & fielding out.

Good comeback today by England after the Ireland game. Pleased for Broad in particular after some (warranted) criticism.

Good comeback for the bowlers.

This result comes just after the announcement that South Africa are the favourites for the World Cup.

It was good to see SA fans applauding England. I do like this aspect of cricket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so ... the next world cup....

How mad are they? Banning the countries that play the one day game that is the world cup format, in favour of the teams who also play the test format which isn't the world cup format.

They might as well call it "the world series" - it's as much a world cup as the stupid american "world" games. :lol:

so ... the next world cup....

How mad are they? Banning the countries that play the one day game that is the world cup format, in favour of the teams who also play the test format which isn't the world cup format.

They might as well call it "the world series" - it's as much a world cup as the stupid american "world" games. :lol:

Agreed. Its a terrible decision, in a long list of terrible decisions, made by the ICC.

Really is a shame for the minor nations and a kick in the teeth for the game.

I actually really enjoyed this world cup. I thought it was a much needed boost for the 50 over game. There were some absolute crackers in there and the final wasn't half bad either.

Certainly was a massive improvement over the west indies' world cup .... which wasn't hard tbh

It's not quite that - Zimbabwe haven't played tests since 2006 - but making it a closed members club in 2015 is ridiculous. Ireland actually rank above Zim in the one day rankings. Yes they're going to make introduce qualifying for 2019, but that's too far away.

The two biggest problems I see in one day cricket are that the World Cup is simply too long, and that generally there are far too many meaningless matches, in both the 50over & 20over formats.

Edit; you can say that about the county season (begins on Friday) too - far far too many meaningless games, and too many 20/20 games being played mid-summer, so the championship games are forced into spring. Let the early season draws begin!

Edited by Gre

It's April, sun is shining, and at long last the county cricket season has started, so I'm happy B)

And at the other end of the scale, the IPL starts today. Which has terrestrial TV coverage, so that's the one that I'll likely be paying more attention to. Take note ECB.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hope it's nicer there than it is in Cardiff today!

It was beautiful. Rhododendrums were out, a lovely shade of purple. Over indulged in the CAMRA tent, and most suprising of all, Kent played their part by beating Hoggy's Leicestershire.

So, back to all things international, with Sangakkara back in the hutch, and Dilshan unlikely to bat, can England repeat the last day heroics of Cardiff?

• 2 months later...

all kinds of records being made today. congrats to cookie for an amazing knock. Real shame he missed out on the triple. What a dumbass.

What the hell was Sehwag doing? his dismissal sums india up at the moment. Woeful stuff. Can't see anything other than a whitewash. Odds on that at the beginning of the series...?

all kinds of records being made today. congrats to cookie for an amazing knock. Real shame he missed out on the triple. What a dumbass.

What the hell was Sehwag doing? his dismissal sums india up at the moment. Woeful stuff. Can't see anything other than a whitewash. Odds on that at the beginning of the series...?

I was at Edgbaston on Wednesday, had an excellent day watching a steady trickle of Indian wickets and the start of Chef's massive knock.

It's so satisfying watching this successful England side after so many years of being made to look awful by the Windies and the convicts.

Think you're being slightly harsh on Sehwag, it's his natural game to play like he did, he wasn't the right type of player for the situation, Dravid was. Plus he's been out injured and stuck back in to a difficult situation far too early.

With Trott not being risked at the Oval, Bopara must take his opportunity. Should he not, I fear that's his international career over. I'm going on Thurs and Fri, fingers crossed for good weather!

I don't think it matters who you are or how you play, if you go flashing outside your off stump on the first delivery you face, when you're opening the batting for a team that has their backs against the wall, then you're an absolute idiot - even more so when you're lacking minutes at the crease.

But yeah, England are immense at the moment. Enjoy The Oval, 4-0 would be spectacular.