Cricket

greeneyes1980

7 hours ago, TheGayTent said:

2 test series against NZ announced for this summer to supplement the India tour. good news. 

Don't quite get how NZ are top of the test championship. I've not been following their results - but when I was in NZ just over a year ago, I couldn't help noticing they were taking a frightful kicking from the Australians.

54 minutes ago, Homer said:

Don't quite get how NZ are top of the test championship. I've not been following their results - but when I was in NZ just over a year ago, I couldn't help noticing they were taking a frightful kicking from the Australians.

Well they beat us...

That series against Australia is the only series they’ve lost since the beginning of 2017. 

Edited by TheGayTent

2 hours ago, Homer said:

That was a great day's play and just what we needed before India. Still reckon they'll kick the living crap out of us though.

Good news though: apparently we only need to beat India 3-0 to keep our test championship hopes alive.

As good as Bess' wicket taking balls (mostly) were, if you're going for a off-spinner with limited control but a knack of taking wickets and who's a decent number 7/8 bat, I'd much prefer to sub in Moeen, who has test centuries in India and a history of getting their specific batsmen out.

Some friends are suggesting a 3/3 split, but I'd be wary, Indian pitches are more seam-friendly than they used to be, and even with Moeen and Stokes coming back in I think it weakens the batting too much. I think 3/2 should be enough.

I'm not really sure what the batting order will look like, Bairstow out, Foakes in for Buttler after the 1st test but presumably at 7, Stokes back in, and presumably Burns knocks one of Sibley/Crawley/Lawrence out, there's Pope to come back as well.

What's Pope's Championship record against Harmer like? I can't think of any other top quality spinners he'll have faced so far.

Think there’s an outside chance they may actually rest Root in this series. They have no qualms about Stokes’ captaincy and Silverwood will want to get as much experience into Lawrence, Pope, and Crawley as he can before Oz. They’ll be analysing how they cope mentally as much as anything. 

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Think there’s an outside chance they may actually rest Root in this series. They have no qualms about Stokes’ captaincy and Silverwood will want to get as much experience into Lawrence, Pope, and Crawley as he can before Oz. They’ll be analysing how they cope mentally as much as anything. 

That would be one hell of a bold call if they do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Predictions?

I'm stupidly excited for this series considering I'm expecting England to get spanked. I think losing 2-1 would be a great result for England, but I'm probably expecting 3-0. This is an incredible Indian side, but I'd have thought that a toss win and some good bowling (probably more from Anderson/Broad/Archer/Stokes than the spinners) means England can nick at least a draw in a test.

Fantastic that it's back on terrestrial as well.

On 2/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, kaosmark2 said:

Fantastic that it's back on terrestrial as well.

Yes. 

However, I’m not so sure it’s great for C4. They’re having to use Star Sports for virtually everything. A combination of COVID-19 and the deal being done so last minute has led the production to be abysmal for sections they’re responsible for themselves.  Not a good look for C4’s return to test cricket. 

6 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Yes. 

However, I’m not so sure it’s great for C4. They’re having to use Star Sports for virtually everything. A combination of COVID-19 and the deal being done so last minute has led the production to be abysmal for sections they’re responsible for themselves.  Not a good look for C4’s return to test cricket. 

Not great, but quite understandable. I'm also really enjoying Cook's analysis without the contrast of Vaughan being tiresome. 

Thoroughly enjoying watching Sibley bat as well, excellent innings so far. 

No balls aside, Sharma has been exceptional, the extra control and shift of in swinger to outswinger he's gained now reminds me of Anderson's improvement. 

3 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

Not great, but quite understandable.

Agree from a personal point of view. Suspect there’s many that won’t, or even if they do, won’t be as forgiving.

I'm also really enjoying Cook's analysis without the contrast of Vaughan being tiresome. 

Also agree, that said, it would be vastly improved with a third person (as long as it wasn’t Vaughan). 

Thoroughly enjoying watching Sibley bat as well, excellent innings so far. 

No balls aside, Sharma has been exceptional, the extra control and shift of in swinger to outswinger he's gained now reminds me of Anderson's improvement. 

Amen. 

Going ok so far - but worth remembering we scored 400+ here last time and lost by an innings....

Edited by TheGayTent

1 hour ago, st dan said:

I know his stats speak for themselves, but I’ve never quite seen the fuss with Ashwin at all. 
In fact, i’d fancy myself to comfortably see him out on a Saturday afternoon. 

He changes his pace in a way that's hard to read coming out of the hand. If you do that on a surface which spins, it makes for very inconsistent bounce.

This surface isn't spinning. Yet.

I remarked to Ms P last night that you wouldn't know this is a team that just won in Australia by watching them in the field. I think it's partly fair that Kohli's captaincy is starting to be questioned when we've seen Rahane do such a good job away from home compared to poor call after poor call over the last two days.

As poor as India have been, Root has obviously been exceptional. Really hoping that he doesn't tucker himself out with so many games before the ashes. I was initially a bit sceptical of so many tests this year, but with the SA series off now, Australia don't have any tests until the Ashes start (unless they make the WTC final), so England have got a huge advantage in terms of preparation.  

I’m not sure India have been that poor have they? Sharma has bowled superbly and Bumrah’s been fine too despite the ball doing little. 

Similarly the wicket has not helped Ashwin either but he’s been tidy and picked up a couple of wickets. 

Nadeem and Sundar I’d agree have been below par. 

I would agree that a ome of their fielding has been poor - but when you’ve been in the field for two days in the heat and humidity of Chennai you’re going to feel fatigued. 

Scoreboard pressure and tiredness can do funny things, and hopefully if the pitch gets worse England may make some inroads. 

However, it also wouldn’t surprise many if Pujara, Kohli, Rohana et al grind the England bowlers down for a similar length of time. 

I shall be setting my alarm !