Best Kept Secret 2017

alan_ts

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New names

Amber Arcades Canshaker Pi • • • Cloud Nothings Dj Prime • Froth • Hundred Waters • Iguana Deathcult • Kelly Lee Owens • Leif Vollebekk • Section Boyz • Tei Shi • The Homesick • The Japanese House • The Mystery Lights • Thomas Azier • Wildes

Fucking underwhelming or what?

31 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

Really disappointed.

Later I'm going to hear this new bands, I don't know anyone of them.

Not just me, then.

Feel well and truly shafted tbh but that's the risk of buying a ticket on the strength of 2 headliners I suppose. Still a few decent bands on the bill but it really could have been so much more than it's turned out to be. DTRH has a much stronger line up, headliners aside and there are loads of good bands around that could have been booked.

I'll check out the new bands but in truth it'll probably mean more time spent in the pub in Tilburg before we hit the festival.

Edited by DiscothequeDave

I was expecting more from this last announcement but overall I'm satisfied:
Rh and Af are surely top headliners for me and Rtj are one of my fav band (too high for an headline spot but it's ok).
Furthermore Soulwax, Metronomy, James Blake, Mitski and all the dance stuff are what I'd like from a festival (last festivals I attended was Pinkpop and RW and the dance acts not existed -for me is extremely important for ending a day).
Latest I discovered some great bands that I'm very happy to see (Cigarettes After Sex, Kaleo, Strand Of Oaks, Tommy Cash, Thurston Moore -I know it's a shame but I only know Sonic Youth and not him solo- and more).

In conclusion I'm very very excited and I'm sure it'll be a great experience!

edit: Lie, I've been also at Sziget, Sonar and I Love Techno, I forgot that :) 

Edit2: and like some of my friends say: if you don't like music lineup there's always food lineup :D 

Edited by alan_ts

57 minutes ago, mellowmaniac said:

I also made a Clashfinder, to try to sort the bands and the timings... There was A LOT of guessing involved, but perhaps it is another base for discussions. ;)

http:///s/bks17/

My focus was on trying to find out on which stage to put the bands on and less on catching the right timeslot.

Some clashes for me:

Friday

Metronomy vs Tommy Cash

Saturday

Arcade Fire vs Thurston Moore

Floating Points vs Vatican Shadow 

Laurel Halo vs Joy Orbison

Sunday

no clashes but I've to run to Soulwax after Radiohead

ps: in bold what I'm going to see despite the others were on my must see list

Edited by alan_ts

Well, this makes it quite clear that a large part of their budget went into booking Radiohead and Arcade Fire. The names below the headliners are really bad in comparison with the last few years, but they have done a great job with the undercard. Very happy with Kelly Lee Owens and Cloud Nothings from the last announcement, and still need to listen to most of the not-Dutch bands. 

10 hours ago, mellowmaniac said:

I also made a Clashfinder, to try to sort the bands and the timings... There was A LOT of guessing involved, but perhaps it is another base for discussions. ;)

http:///s/bks17/

My focus was on trying to find out on which stage to put the bands on and less on catching the right timeslot.

I'd be happy with that if its fairly accurate. 

For a BKS newbie, how far is it between stages?

10 hours ago, DiscothequeDave said:

I'd be happy with that if its fairly accurate. 

For a BKS newbie, how far is it between stages?

It's a lot of guessing. ;)

We don't know the groundmap of this year (it changed a couple of times over the years), but last year it was like the attached map, but with Stage 4 and Stage 5 having swapped locations.

Stage 1 and Stage 2 are nearby. Depending on where you are in front of Stage 1 and how crowded it is, you should be able to switch between stages in less than five minutes. Stage 2 and Stage 4 (on the map Stage 5) are also less than five minutes away. From Stage 1 and 2 you should be at Stage 3 in definitely less than ten minutes (the main food area is between Stage 1 and Stage 3). Stage 5 was close to the entrance of the site, but between 10-15 minutes away from Stage 1 and 2. Last year a lot of people seemed to have complained about this, because due to the distance between Stage 1 and Stage 5 (which are played at the same time) it was difficult to switch stages in the middle of a set. No idea if they will change it back to the more live music convenient setup of the attached map or if they'll keep it like last year. The probably biggest complain about last year's edition was that Stage 3 changed. In previous years it was an amazing semi-open stage at the lake and last year they build a dark square tent, usually way too hot, overcrowded and without having the possibility to watch a band from outside.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-26 um 09.14.35.png

12 minutes ago, Tijn said:

One, Two and Four are all quite close to each other. Three is opposite the One across the beach, 5-10 minutes walk. Five is closest to the entrance of the festival grounds, so quite a long walk if you just watched a band at either One or Two.

Sorry for posting more or less the same... You replied while I was still typing (and working at the same time ;) ).

I don't know if any of you is a fan of Yussef Kamaal, but it seems Yussef Dayes and Kamaal Williams (Henry Wu) have split.

No idea if the show will be cancelled or replaced. In Cologne, instead of Yussef Kamaal, there will be a concert with "Yussef Dayes presents Black Focus" (featuring Tom Driessler - bass, Mansur Brown - guitar, Charlie Stacey - keys & Yussef Dayes - drums) and there also seems to be a Kamaal Williams Ensemble...

They were on my top 10 list of most anticipated BKS '17 shows. :(

Nooooo ;(

I doubt we'll hear anything about that from official BKS channels, not anytime soon anyway...

I'm just waiting for the Cigarettes to get canceled somehow :help:

P.s: a biiiiiiig, big minus for their PR. They could've done so much with the "secret" thing, instead of keeping us in the dark and posting "that's our best kept secret" every day. We could've been way happier even with the same lineup, and it icosts basically nothing.

The Casbah seems like a thing for me though B)

Edited by clasher

Hi guys,

this is my first post here, but I was following the discussion all along. In the end we now decided to change plans and visit the Maifeld Derby near to my house.

Therefore I have got 2 weekend-tickets to sell (with camping) for 175€ each + a parking ticket for 10€. Maybe some of your friends were unlucky to get one.

Edited by matteo_k