Best Kept Secret 2017

alan_ts

At the moment I've seen only UK festivals talking about extra-security.

From what I remember of last year only Belgium festivals shared some extra security measures e.g. metal detector.

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the google chrome translation of Dutch leaves some to be desired, but a lake bar sounds amazing. 

Im curious if there's going to be plenty of Uber's or taxis each night after the music ends. Didn't luck out with the accommodations there so we're having to stay in a small town nearby. 

Can anyone speak to the public transportation?

Just to sum up some announcements: the lake bar will be back with at least 20 different kinds of beer. New will the The Casbah with Punk and Rock, as well as with pool-tables. Also new will be Tokyo Hill with a karaoke bar, ping-pong, sushi, dumplings and other asian food.

No news about the map or Stage Three (BKS still seems to have the most annoying auto-reply of all time "This is our Best Kept Secret").

Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-24 um 14.15.36.png

Edited by mellowmaniac

Good to have the floating bar back.

(Warning: if you have no interest in beer you can safely ignore the rest of this post...)

But the beers they are quoting raise a question. Have they changed the corporate beer sponsor, or is AB-InBev (who have provided the beer in all previous editions) pulling the wool over people's eyes for one year only? All the brands mentioned were/are a part of SAB Miller, which AB InBev has just bought.

Kornuit and (obviously) all the Grolsch brands are brewed by Grolsch in Enschede, which is/was part of SAB Miller. Meantime is/was also part of SAB Miller.

Grimbergen is more curious. In Belgium it's brewed by Alken-Maes (part of Heineken), which is why you see it at Pukkelpop. But elsewhere it's brewed in France by Kronenbourg (owned by Carlsberg). Carlsberg aren't part of SAB Miller, but in the Netherlands the rights to distribute Grimbergen are owned by Grolsch... (Confused yet?)

Thing is, to get around market regulatory rules, AB InBev are currently offloading Grolsch and Meantime to the Japanese brewing company Asahi, something that should be completed in a month or two. So are BKS sticking with AB-InBev, in which case they'll lose Grolsch and Meantime next year? Or are they going to follow Grolsch to Japan, in which case Asahi beer will be on the menu next year?

Yeah, I know, I know. No one apart from me gives a shit.

Incidentally, for those who don't know Kornuit, it's a shit version of Grolsch, with no flavour, that was designed as an unchallenging easy access drink for people who don't like the flavour of beer.

Edited by Trufflehound

2 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

Good to have the floating bar back.

(Warning: if you have no interest in beer you can safely ignore the rest of this post...)

But the beers they are quoting raise a question. Have they changed the corporate beer sponsor, or is AB-InBev pulling the wool over people's eyes for one year only? All the brands mentioned were/are a part of SAB Miller, which AB InBev has just bought.

Kornuit and (obviously) all the Grolsch brands are brewed by Grolsch in Enschede, which is/was part of SAB Miller. Meantime is/was also part of SAB Miller.

Grimbergen is more curious. In Belgium it's brewed by Alken-Maes (part of Heineken), which is why you see it at Pukkelpop. But elsewhere it's brewed in France by Kronenbourg (owned by Carlsberg). Carlsberg aren't part of SAB Miller, but in the Netherlands the rights to distribute Grimbergen are owned by Grolsch... (Confused yet?)

Thing is, to get around market regulatory rules, AB InBev are currently offloading Grolsch and Meantime to the Japanese brewing company Asahi, something that should be completed in a month or two. So are BKS sticking with AB-InBev, in which they'll lose Grolsch and Meantime next year? Or are they going to follow Grolsch to Japan, in which case Asahi beer will be on the menu next year?

Yeah, I know, I know. No one apart from me gives a shit.

Incidentally, for those who don't know Kornuit, it's a shit version of Grolsch, with no flavour, that was designed as an unchallenging easy access drink for people who don't like the flavour of beer.

Interesting point.

In Italy Ab inbev is buying most of the industrial beer (and at the moment also one of the top craft - Birra del Borgo).

Anyway I'm hoping at least in a couple of good beer :) 

10 minutes ago, mellowmaniac said:

I think it was posted before, that BKS will have Kornuit/Grolsch instead of Jupiler:

http://www.sponsorreport.nl/entertainment/friendly-fire-en-koninklijke-grolsch-gaan-meerjarig-partnership-aan/

So, going by what's written in that link, the deal is with Grolsch, which means it should move with them from AB-InBev to Asahi next year.

(Jupiler is also AB-InBev by the way.)

Edited by Trufflehound

I love the wording of this Instagram post describing Grimbergen Blond as the 'trots van Vlaanderen' - the 'pride of Flanders'.

So to summarise (deep breath) : the 'pride of Flanders' as served at BKS is brewed in France by a Danish company, and served by a Dutch company that was owned by a UK-South African-US multinational, is briefly owned by a Belgian-Brazilian-US multinational, and is currently being offloaded to a Japanese company.

Don't you just love the global corporate world?

Edited by Trufflehound

4 minutes ago, Trufflehound said:

I love the wording of this Instagram post describing Grimbergen Blond as the 'trots van Vlaanderen' - the 'pride of Flanders'.

So to summarise (deep breath) : the 'pride of Flanders' as served at BKS is brewed in France by a Danish company, and served by a Dutch company that was owned by a UK-South African-US multinational, is briefly owned by a Belgian-Brazilian-US multinational, and is currently being offloaded to a Japanese company.

When a barman suggests me a Grimbergen, I change bar.

2 hours ago, Jremy said:

Yeah the google chrome translation of Dutch leaves some to be desired, but a lake bar sounds amazing. 

Im curious if there's going to be plenty of Uber's or taxis each night after the music ends. Didn't luck out with the accommodations there so we're having to stay in a small town nearby. 

Can anyone speak to the public transportation?

Which town? Hilvarenbeek? Tilburg? Somewhere else? There are shuttle buses to Tilburg. There are usually a few taxis waiting outside, but not many.

Can't speak for Uber. They operate in the Netherlands, but outside the law - under Dutch law all taxis must be licensed, and they operate private vehicles and so are illegal. They seem quite happy to pay the fines, however (around a million euros in 2016 I think), so are clearly raking it in and ripping people off.

As a last resort you can walk from the festival entrance to Hilvarenbeek in about 45 minutes. More than an hour to Tilburg though, so the bus is recommended there.

Edited by Trufflehound

7 hours ago, Trufflehound said:

Which town? Hilvarenbeek? Tilburg? Somewhere else? There are shuttle buses to Tilburg. There are usually a few taxis waiting outside, but not many.

Can't speak for Uber. They operate in the Netherlands, but outside the law - under Dutch law all taxis must be licensed, and they operate private vehicles and so are illegal. They seem quite happy to pay the fines, however (around a million euros in 2016 I think), so are clearly raking it in and ripping people off.

As a last resort you can walk from the festival entrance to Hilvarenbeek in about 45 minutes. More than an hour to Tilburg though, so the bus is recommended there.

We're actually staying in a town named Oirschot, which is east of the festival, about a 17 minute drive according to google maps. 

23 hours ago, Trufflehound said:

I think all we need to know Trufflehound, is if we drink 10 pints of it, will it make George Ezra sound less shit? 

On 25/05/2017 at 0:12 AM, Jremy said:

We're actually staying in a town named Oirschot, which is east of the festival, about a 17 minute drive according to google maps. 

Ah, I know Oirschot very well. I can walk there from my house (granted, a couple of hours' walk). Nice place. The central square by the church is very pretty. There also used to be a really great beer café with 600 different beers, but sadly that closed down last year. If you get the chance a like beer, there is a brewery with a taproom and some semi-decent brews (website's only in Dutch I'm afraid: http://vandeoirsprong.nl/de-locatie/het-proeflokaal/).

During the day you can get a direct bus (no 141 or 142) from Oirschot to Tilburg station and take the BKS shuttle from there. But getting back you're going to be reliant on taxis - the nearest railway station is in Best, about 4km from Oirschot.

Edited by Trufflehound

BKS just posted that they will rise the ground at the Stage 5 location (last year the ground was very muddy outside the tent). This confirms that Stage 5 will remain at last year's new location. I was hoping for a switch back with Stage 4, to save time when changing location between Stage 1 and Stage 5, but much more important is the question about this year's Stage 3 design.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-26 um 11.03.19.png

5 minutes ago, mellowmaniac said:

BKS just posted that they will rise the ground at the Stage 5 location (last year the ground was very muddy outside the tent). This confirms that Stage 5 will remain at last year's new location. I was hoping for a switch back with Stage 4, to save time when changing location between Stage 1 and Stage 5, but much more important is the question about this year's Stage 3 design.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-26 um 11.03.19.png

Thanks, I've seen the post on fb but the translation was awful.

What about the replacement of Girl Band, Toxe and Tei Shi?

I've some expectation on who will close stage 5 instead of Toxe, any idea?

edit: I was hoping for Evian Christ (a sort of resident at BKS) maybe in a b2b with Laurel Halo (sometimes they do it) but he plays at Sonar in the afternoon :( 

Edited by alan_ts

7 minutes ago, alan_ts said:

What about the replacement of Girl Band, Toxe and Tei Shi?

I've some expectation on who will close stage 5 instead of Toxe, any idea?

edit: I was hoping for Evian Christ (a sort of resident at BKS) maybe in a b2b with Laurel Halo (sometimes they do it) but he plays at Sonar in the afternoon :( 

I'm not sure about getting three replacements. There most definitely will be one replacement (probably for Girl Band) on Friday (Stage 3, 19:35h-20:35h) and chances are good for an additional (probably DJ) act Saturday (Stage 5, 03:00h-04:00h) after Vatican Shadow. But I'm pretty sure they won't have any act perform after Radiohead and I don't see any other open slots.

4 minutes ago, mellowmaniac said:

I'm not sure about getting three replacements. There most definitely will be one replacement (probably for Girl Band) on Friday (Stage 3, 19:35h-20:35h) and chances are good for an additional (probably DJ) act Saturday (Stage 5, 03:00h-04:00h) after Vatican Shadow. But I'm pretty sure they won't have any act perform after Radiohead and I don't see any other open slots.

A good Dj on Saturday for me is enough even if the night program is already very strong that day.

If someone is thinking about selling or buying tickets: as most (but probably not all) know, the tickets are bound to the name of the ticketowner. If you want to sell or buy a ticket "secondhand" the name of the ticketowner has to be changed by the original owner. This can be done by Eventim only (+31 88 011 2610) and a service fee has to be paid (I haven't found information about the price of changing the names).

This info can also be found on the BKS FAQ site.... The new info is that the initial deadline (June 2nd) has been changed to June 13th (this isn't posted on the english version of the FAQ).

Has anyone received their tickets yet?

Im going to amsterdam leaving next Tuesday for 10 days before the festival. 

Need to sort out tickets before we leave! Just realised they may not arrive before we go!

also waiting on tickets for accommodation unless you just take printed reveipt!

thanks