Cashless? I'm stunned at the apathy.

t8yman

The main advantage they have with cashless which is IMO the real reason its been put in place is the vendors can't dodge any payment to Live Nation, if there is a percentage payment to Live Nation of what they sell which I believe their is, they can't say oh we only sold this or whatever they know exactly what they sold and also what sells well.

Its all been put in place to make them more money in the long run, Its to monitor the vendors rather than the punters.

I can see it being put in all their festivals by next year, if not more of them this year

Its none of LN's business whether they do well or do poorly. LN dont give them a refund on their rent if its a quiet year as far as I know. Its part of owning/running a stall that does this kind of work - you take the good years and the bad years, and the only thing it will do is push prices up. £3.50 for a tray of chips not even big enough to fill the palm of your hand is a pisstake in anyones money. And it will only get worse. Plus the vendors probably wont get paid out until 14-28 days after the event, therefore stifling their cashflow and giving LN 100s of £1000's of pounds sitting in their coffers for the extra month or so. It will be interesting to see if the vendors flock back next year, as I'm sure they wont have been aware of it before they signed up for this year.

It will also be interesting to see how many punters dont bother next year too. although judging by the general concensus on here, the majority dont give a fuck anyway. 

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its none of LN's business whether they do well or do poorly. LN dont give them a refund on their rent if its a quiet year as far as I know. Its part of owning/running a stall that does this kind of work - you take the good years and the bad years, and the only thing it will do is push prices up. £3.50 for a tray of chips not even big enough to fill the palm of your hand is a pisstake in anyones money. And it will only get worse. Plus the vendors probably wont get paid out until 14-28 days after the event, therefore stifling their cashflow and giving LN 100s of £1000's of pounds sitting in their coffers for the extra month or so. It will be interesting to see if the vendors flock back next year, as I'm sure they wont have been aware of it before they signed up for this year.

It will also be interesting to see how many punters dont bother next year too. although judging by the general concensus on here, the majority dont give a fuck anyway.

I will vouch for last year the food being horrendously priced and the portions being nothing practically.

I personally can't see the day where the cashless system will be a deal breaker to whether I go to a festival or not.

However, I realise I may have another view if mine had been one of the ones that didn't work.

I was more annoyed at the festival trying to play everything down and brush off peoples problems as a 'minority'.

I know they want to be 100% cashless but surely they could have let the people who's wristbands were not working to pay by cash until the tags were up and running again.

Twice this weekend I was asked by people if they could have one of my pints when I was walking with a tray of four. Cashless is affecting some people's ability to scrounge beer or I look a lot more endearing and compassionate than I used to. I also had the misfortune to stand behind some tosser who wouldn't take no for an answer when trying to pay with cash. He was seconds away from security coming when some kind person took the cash off him and swiped their tag for him. Anyone had a refund yet?

Spent the Saturday at Download and had a great day.  I thought the tags worked very well and predict they will very soon be used at a lot of other fests.  Queues moved a lot quicker and there was no stress about losing my wallet. I hope they publish the crime statistics because I'll wager the amount of robberies was greatly reduced.  I think its ridiculous to worry that 'the man' is watching you based on this - the amount of data he got from me is negligably small (I bought a few beers and a burrito).  If this kind of thing really worries you, you probably shouldn't be using the internet.

The photo thing is appalling though, but if I was wanted by Leicestershire police I would have simply worn KISS face paint all day.  And it did seem to stir up some angst in Muse as well, which is a good thing.

It is their business how the stalls do though as it gives them scope to increase their revenue from them.  I think that is truly what this is all about, selling data might make them some money too but not as much as tracking where the possible 8 figure sums spent on site are going and pricing pitches accordingly or taking a percentage off the vendors that can't be dodged.  They can't lose really, you pay x for your pitch and service fees then if you sell over x amount we take a certain percentage off you too.  If it's a bad year LN still get their pitch and service fees and if it's a good year they get a load of money on top for doing nothing extra. 

Ultimately any more taken off the vendors by LN will be passed onto the punters whether by price increases or further reductions in quality and quantity, then vendors used to making a certain amount off the festival but finding now that their expenses increase by it not all being cash and now being taxed might be  wanting to be doing the same.

jesus h christ!

@Maverick_AC dogtags worked so well,was thinkin if we had a 'download account' we could topup year round n even spend it on tickets #DL2016?

— Lee Evans (@ElroyEvans)

June 20, 2015

why not just have a livenation account, with a livenation debit card, and do your mortgage etc through it?

Edited by t8yman

it's not being done sooner because they're using these wristbands to benefit those who go. :P

You seem to be under the misapprehension that i was pro cashless. I'm not and I have no doubts who it benefits most. If the above is a dig at something you think i said you'd be wrong. I just don't see it as much of a negative either.

You seem to be under the misapprehension that i was pro cashless. I'm not and I have no doubts who it benefits most. If the above is a dig at something you think i said you'd be wrong. I just don't see it as much of a negative either.

It wasn't aimed at you specifically, it was just using the words you'd posted to point out the obvious.

Chill. :)

It wasn't aimed at you specifically, it was just using the words you'd posted to point out the obvious.

Chill. :)

Chilled like an icy chilled thing in the pretend summer we're getting just now. :) What you doing on here anyway, shouldn't you be in a field somewhere hippyfying it to the max? Or is that next weekend?

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

A couple of months back Andy was defending the system to the hilt, saying people need to move with the times, now it's failed and no more lol.

I don't think it failed as such though.  Admittedly I didn't get there until the Friday and didn't experience the frustration of those arriving on the Wednesday did.  I paid money onto dogtag, got it registered when I went in, it worked easily the whole weekend and I got outstanding cash back.

I think they should have also allowed cash and maybe they've realised that.

2 minutes ago, Red Day said:

I don't think it failed as such though.  Admittedly I didn't get there until the Friday and didn't experience the frustration of those arriving on the Wednesday did.  I paid money onto dogtag, got it registered when I went in, it worked easily the whole weekend and I got outstanding cash back.

I think they should have also allowed cash and maybe they've realised that.

They should.....leaving people on heat without the option to buy water is disgraceful. I have generally thought the couple of times I have been though that certain aspects of it make it a poorly run festival.

3 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

They should.....leaving people on heat without the option to buy water is disgraceful. I have generally thought the couple of times I have been though that certain aspects of it make it a poorly run festival.

Think they made a complete cock up at the start but they ironed out the problems before I got there.  that's not to say it's a perfect system nor that I totally agree with it, but it's a worthy option if you choose to use it.  I don't agree it's a poorly run festival tho.  I find it pretty good tbh, although security staff at the event are the worst I've seen at any festival.