Waterproof Jacket / Poncho?

ManchesterGlasto

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lightweight North Face jacket and a cheapo poncho. The poncho is handy coz I can stick on without having to take my bag off and the water runs off onto the ground rather than down my legs like a jacket does. Wouldn't rely on the poncho alone though.

I use one of those mahoosive green army style ponchos and its great! Down to personal preference i guess

I bought one last year and it did the job, this year I'm going to take a compression sack so it takes up less room in my bag. Personally I prefer the poncho because it stops your bottom half getting wet.

cant beat the army poncho's,keep you dry and warm

No condensation on the inside and you don't have to worry about stray sparks or cigarette ends burning a hole in them either. :)

(That's the heavy German or British Army ponchos - the rip stop ones will burn and after advice on here I don't entirely trust them to be waterproof.) The really cheap plastic ones that are like dry cleaning bags aren't worth it for anything other than the direst emergencies - they're not long enough and if you walk into any kind of wind the hood won't stay up.

The down side to the army ponchos are the pack size - rolled up they're about 7" long and 3.5" wide, so nor really pocket sized. I use a short length of webbing with clip locks to secure it to a belt.

The ones that mountain warehouse sell have done the trick for me. I used mine for Leeds 2013 when the weather turned biblical and the rain didn't soak through at all.

How long are these? More Waist length or knee length (I'm 5ft 10) could do with knee length poncho to meet the wellies!

I am a bit wary of these....... seems a bit too good to be true! I don't imagine they would make walking on metal tracks or stones very easy and wouldn't they just get shredded on stony paths?

I've used this poncho for years http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Trekmates-Pak-Poncho-sku44900801.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjw4fCqBRDM1ZKhk5jfo6IBEiQAZQ97OEdhqwq7Zf7wi6yI6U6TMAUCyd6c6K2u78P0LSPLXIUaAp9R8P8HAQ

I've soaked the sh!t out of it in NikWak tent proof. it fits on your belt in a stuff sack..

I've tried Gore-tex and everything, and after several days of rain, a waterproof jacket becomes useless,as its never given chance to dry out and eventually it will leak, as it becomes saturated.

I find a lightweight poncho perfect, with a decent fleece tied round the waist... Yes you look a knob, but your dry.