Equinox this weekend

Guest Homer

Hi,

I'm heading to Glastonbury to stay with some friends for the weekend tomorrow morning, and I spoke to a cafe there, Rainbows End (long story, it's part of my job) about popping in there, and they said yes, but they are expecting to be super-busy this weekend as it's the equinox. I wasn't aware of this, was just going to see friends and go to a party, does anyone know if anything goes on for the equinox?

Also, my mate mentioned having some boozes on the Tor while the sun goes down and going for a stroll around Worthy Farm on Saturday lunchtime. I'll obvious take some snaps, so if anyone's interested in seeing the site out of season I'll chuck them on here (if I can work out how to do it!). Will probably go for a curry too, but I'll leave you guys out of that!

Cheers!

Cheers for the advice! What happens up on the Tor? Partying to the sound of what? The wind in the trees? This isn't the 1970s, you know (though, in fairness, they might not realise that!).

I don't actually know what happens up there at an equinox. The only time I went up there was when I promised a white witch that I'd take him there after a wedding we were both attending in Somerset (his brothers). The minute we got to the top he got his little bells out (Finbarr!) and started chanting and waving his arms around etc. Then we smoked some dope and just took in the views. There were quite a few people doing the same thing. In fact, everyone I know who has been up there has said that there's always a few people up there having a mini party. I'd imagine it would be the same for equinox, but that the party would be that much bigger than normal.

Not too sure about sound systems up there though. You could always try conversation. A little old fashioned I know, but I have a fondness for it all the same.

Me and some friends did the equinox weekend in glastonbury in 2008 when the Pilton Party was on the same weekend - had lovely weather so it was a nice chilled few days. We watched 'the last sunset of summer' from the Tor and then hit the pubs planning to return to the Tor later - which we nearly did but soon realised climbing the Tor in the dark after a skinful wasn't a great idea. Wasn't particularly busy up the tor while we were there (but wouldn't surprise me if we were a day early or something! :D )

gallery_2_811_67157.jpg

"The minute we got to the top he got his little bells out (Finbarr!)"

Kwak, kwak! (Etc)

"Not too sure about sound systems up there though. You could always try conversation. A little old fashioned I know, but I have a fondness for it all the same."

I'll take my iPhone and some headphones.

In all seriousness, thanks guys, really looking forward to it! I'll zap some pics up here when I get backk - but can;t promise they'll be as stunning as the one above!

"The minute we got to the top he got his little bells out (Finbarr!)"

Kwak, kwak! (Etc)

"Not too sure about sound systems up there though. You could always try conversation. A little old fashioned I know, but I have a fondness for it all the same."

I'll take my iPhone and some headphones.

In all seriousness, thanks guys, really looking forward to it! I'll zap some pics up here when I get backk - but can;t promise they'll be as stunning as the one above!

Wishing you some nice weather and a clear day. I'm not into religion, but really felt something on a deeper level while I was up there (and this was before the smoke). It may have been partially due to me thinking about the history of the place, and how people from hundreds of years ago would also have been up there for one reason or another. I guess I was wondering if they had gone to some other place, as well as having another one of my internal head banging thoughts about time.