Sales?

Guest CE6

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see the logic in focussing the line-up more towards an older audience anyway. Reading and Leeds is a young peoples festival, I don't believe masses of older people are going to decide to go simply because they have The Cure on the lineup. It may draw a few, granted, but not many.

I beg to differ If the Cure day had some older bands in the ilk of Garbage, Smashing Pumpkins, Dinosaur Jr, Mudhoney, Beck Pavement, Ash, Eels, The Lemonheads scattered in amongst the newer bands I know a large amount of people who would not only go for the day but would be more inclined to go for the weekend.

Edited by mrtourette

So do I, but that's because of the friends I have and the music they like. Just because that line-up would sell more tickets in my social group than what they have doesn't mean the same would apply to the genral public, and I'd be surprised if that were the case. Generally speaking for every person who would be inclined to buy a ticket if it were different there will be people who wouldn't becuase they like what's there at the moment, and a lot of their target audinece would be turned off by Pavement and Mudhoney. I find it hard to believe specifically in the case of The Cure day as it's so bad but it probably evens out. Paramore will probably sell more tickets than any of the artists mentioned above.

Because young people are their audience, and getting a reputation as a festival who concentrate on older bands could get them an image that they don't want and could damage their potential to attract new teenage festival goers every year. They want teenagers to be choosing R&L as their first festival as soon as they come of age so will want to be seen as cutting edge. They may well be able to sell out if they had bigger older bands but would they do that every year and then lose their attraction for new festival goers that they've been trying to foster obver the last few years?

But you don't have to alienate the young people by creating a lineup exclusively of those bands.... I'm talking about dotting them through out the day on different stages. Chuck Mudhoney on the NME or the FR and I'm sure it's not gonna be putting off too many of the young punters.

Oh and for the record, almost every young person I know which attends festivals (barring V) is into quality music/older music. I reckon 90% would take someone like The Smiths/The Cure over Jay-Z/Kanye West.

In my opinion, they don't have to gear the entire line up towards a younger audience. Most attendees will appreciate older bands playing.

Oh and for the record, almost every young person I know which attends festivals (barring V) is into quality music/older music. I reckon 90% would take someone like The Smiths/The Cure over Jay-Z/Kanye West.

In my opinion, they don't have to gear the entire line up towards a younger audience. Most attendees will appreciate older bands playing.

I'm 27 and I like a lot of newer bands, I just find it strange that where as festivals like Download, Glasto, Soni (RIP) or even V, seem to cater for an older crowd as well as the younger market, Reading doesn't seem to. The reason why I find it strange is it seems to me if you could strike the right balance then you'd have a far broader audience for the festival and more variety in bands to book.

Maybe I'm just looking at it from a selfish point of view. I have my ticket anyway... just a shame I can't convince more of my mates to come with me!