PHOENIX FESTIVAL 2012!

Guest luckysalt

If this fest can get bands like Radiohead, Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds, Flaming Lips, Pixies, Faith No More, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Sonic Youth, Pet Shop Boys, Bjork etc. I will hav to go. Seem the sort of bands that fit the festival and there are loads of bands in that sort of vibe I haven't seen live yet (for example I've only seen 4 out of the ones I listed).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Stone Roses are defo playing like Neil thought, Beni have announced them today, so seems Vince has a deal with them.

I had what I know was well-sourced info on this, tho it is the case that sometimes stuff like this turns out to be wrong.

But I'm thinking like you, and SR being announced for Beni is suggesting to me that what I heard is much more likely to be right than wrong.

They need to sort the bloody date out!!!

And I wish Kasabian would shut up...they more they talk the less I like them. 'We dont get the credit we deserve'...hang on lads, you're a pub rock band from Leicester who've headlined most major festivals going despite only having 2 decent tracks...

Edited by Flaminglippy

They need to sort the bloody date out!!!

I'm sure that they have, they're just not telling anyone.

And I wish Kasabian would shut up...they more they talk the less I like them. 'We dont get the credit we deserve'...hang on lads, you're a pub rock band from Leicester who've headlined most major festivals going despite only having 2 decent tracks...

When Kasabian were just starting to break, I wrote something about them that they seemed the sort of band who'd talk themselves up into 'being big', and that they'd be aping Oasis with doing that. Seems I was right. :lol:

Well its all still up in the air as only Vince will know for sure.

<snip>

Time will tell if it happens at all .

I know for sure that a couple of weeks ago there was 'a team' working on putting the event together.

So I'm pretty damned sure it'll be going ahead, because I'd have thought that by now they'd have long passed the point where they knew if it was viable or not.

I know for sure that a couple of weeks ago there was 'a team' working on putting the event together.

So I'm pretty damned sure it'll be going ahead, because I'd have thought that by now they'd have long passed the point where they knew if it was viable or not.

Meanwhile, he also denied widespread rumours the Stone Roses – whose string of reunion shows at Manchester’s Heaton Park coincide with the Hop Farm Festival this summer – will play at his Phoenix Festival this year.

The band, who sold out 220,000 tickets in just 68 minutes, this week confirmed they will play at Scotland’s T in the Park festival, and have also signed a deal with Mr Power to play at his Spanish festival – Benicassim – in July 2012.

I did not question if it will be held as I am confident that Vince { who I know personally } would not have announced it unless he was sure he was going to put it on but the dates are still up in the air ' at least for the punters '

I am sure they will have picked the venue and the dates but for their own reasons they have not made them public.

I personally believe that since the licensing act 2003 came about it's never been easier to get a licence - and I would attribute that as a major contributor to the explosion of music festivals the country has seen since then. Then again, I was 17 in 2003 so don't know much about what came before it.

I hear talk that they're looking to make changes that would make it unneccessary for any event <5000 (yes, 5000) to require a premises licence, but that's a different topic.

I personally believe that since the licensing act 2003 came about it's never been easier to get a licence - and I would attribute that as a major contributor to the explosion of music festivals the country has seen since then. Then again, I was 17 in 2003 so don't know much about what came before it.

There's two sides to that coin from the little I know.

It's certainly more difficult for the locals to any event to get it stopped just on the basis that they think "it should happen somewhere else, somewhere more suitable" (with 'somewhere more suitable' really being just anywhere not near to that objector),

But I believe that there's a bigger mound of paperwork and regs to comply with, meaning that those people who aren't fully on the ball with dealing with those aren't going to be successful at getting a licence, when they might have been before.

Overall, I'd say the new licencing regime has worked well, but it's also squashed all chance of anything spontaneous from happening at festivals, and mad then terribly middle-of-the-road and nothing like festivals used to be. 'Spontaneous' happenings can only happen once a pointless risk assessment has been carried out.

I stated that because there is loads of reasons why a new event may not happen at all as its far more tricky to get a new license - Vince Power's Music Festivals or Vince Power Music Group are not as well known as Mean Fiddler so there is always a element of doubt.

We were all certain the Phoenix would take place in 1998 { in fact I still have my pass for 1998 } but he was getting so much hassle from the Council { which were going to increase set up costs } and with the poor ticket sales he decided to pull the plug.

Pheonix'98 was going to be my first festival, which ended up being Reading as the ticket was valid for that instead. Although possibly on a bit of a decline, it is amazing the popularity of festivals since then. None of this selling out in no time with a lot smaller capacity as well.

from http://www.kentnews....iners_1_1120306

I quote ' Mr Power, who now fully owns the Hop Farm Festival after a stock market flotation last year raised £6.5million allowing him to buy the controlling stake and provide the launch pad for a number of new events – including the re-birth of the Phoenix Festival in the Midlands this summer - admits this summer’s festival failed to turn a profit.

“Last year we made money but we didn’t this year as we spent a lot of money on Prince. I didn’t want to miss the opportunity to get him. But we didn’t make money last year.”

Meanwhile, he also denied widespread rumours the Stone Roses – whose string of reunion shows at Manchester’s Heaton Park coincide with the Hop Farm Festival this summer – will play at his Phoenix Festival this year.

The band, who sold out 220,000 tickets in just 68 minutes, this week confirmed they will play at Scotland’s T in the Park festival, and have also signed a deal with Mr Power to play at his Spanish festival – Benicassim – in July 2012.

----------

So we may not know who is playing but this is the first time I have spotted a location - ' the re-birth of the Phoenix Festival in the Midlands '