Efests Recipe Book

nightcrawler13

Looks great, must try that!

Anyone doing summer salads yet?

Jamie Olivers prawn and watermelon salad. It shouldn't work, but its fookin delish!!

That looks the boyo that mind!! I did his Mexican Street Salad to take to work last week

linky

Just blitzed the main salad bits at home and stuck them in a carton (was enough for about 4 meals worth).

Took the red cabbage oil, sea salt and lime along with the carton and mixed it there. Added different stuff each day like left over chicken or bought some prawns.

I've also been getting stuck into ceviche in this warm spring, curing salmon with lime, adding avocado and sticking it in a spinach salad. Only really discovered that was of cooking recently, very fresh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

rather than start a new thread, I will put this in here because its related to food.

has anyone else tried a naga viper chili?

I just have, and let me tell you, it's from satans own garden.

1.3 million schoville units (the chili "heat scale") by comparison, the jalapeno is normally between 2 and 8 thousand schovilles.

I got some last week from one of my suppliers, and my mate and I thought it would be a really clever thing to do, to try some. how wrong we were. 2 grown men, close to tears, licking yoghurt form a spoon a'la dumb and dumber. I chewed a piece about the size of half a baked bean, the fire hit me instantaneously, and I refused to swallow it. the fire stayed with me for a good 20 minutes, and nothing I could do would make it go away. worth it for the experience, but wont be repeating it.

rather than start a new thread, I will put this in here because its related to food.

has anyone else tried a naga viper chili?

I just have, and let me tell you, it's from satans own garden.

1.3 million schoville units (the chili "heat scale") by comparison, the jalapeno is normally between 2 and 8 thousand schovilles.

I got some last week from one of my suppliers, and my mate and I thought it would be a really clever thing to do, to try some. how wrong we were. 2 grown men, close to tears, licking yoghurt form a spoon a'la dumb and dumber. I chewed a piece about the size of half a baked bean, the fire hit me instantaneously, and I refused to swallow it. the fire stayed with me for a good 20 minutes, and nothing I could do would make it go away. worth it for the experience, but wont be repeating it.

Where can I get these? I want I want I want.

you really don't. where do you live? if you live in a big city, try an ethnic food store. They go on the wholesale market for about £1.40 a punnet, so expect to pay £3ish

They can be bought dried from ebay I think, my fella definitely got some from the internet somewhere, they come with serious warnings about how to use them. I have a plant germinated from their seeds but it hasn't got chilli's on yet.

We gave some to a friend who is into making his own curries and thought he could take the heat so despite the warnings he put two in a curry(I think he chopped them up whereas I have always left them whole and taken them out before serving). He reported having one mouthful and feeling a rush of heat then tingling all over and his heart beating, next thing he knew he was on the floor and he was coming round after blacking out, so be very careful with them.

edit to add - Not sure if what we had was Naga Viper or just naga

Edited by Cheshire Cat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

They can be bought dried from ebay I think, my fella definitely got some from the internet somewhere, they come with serious warnings about how to use them. I have a plant germinated from their seeds but it hasn't got chilli's on yet.

We gave some to a friend who is into making his own curries and thought he could take the heat so despite the warnings he put two in a curry(I think he chopped them up whereas I have always left them whole and taken them out before serving). He reported having one mouthful and feeling a rush of heat then tingling all over and his heart beating, next thing he knew he was on the floor and he was coming round after blacking out, so be very careful with them.

edit to add - Not sure if what we had was Naga Viper or just naga

Is this a Ghost chili variant? Theyre not easy to come by in Dublin, Nal.

• 1 month later...

How to deep fry a turkey with 30 foot flames!!

Also, I've been making killer Brown-Sugar Glazed Carrots with Rosemary and Pecans recently. Easy too and dead cheap, as are the other two bits at the bottom here. A shit load of lovely food for fuck all.

Throw in a little honey if you want to really sweeten them up. Make sure all the water evaporates so you're left with just the butter and lovely goo at the bottom of the pot. Don't use too much water!

Serves 2

Ingredients

- handful of pecan nuts

- 4 carrots, cut into one inch pieces, preferably diagonal.

- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar

- 4 tablespoons butter

- 2 springs rosemary

- sprinkle of cayenne pepper

- salt and black pepper

- splash of lemon juice.

Directions

1.Heat pecan nuts in oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Let cool, then roughly chop.

2. In a large saucepan, combine the carrots, brown sugar, butter, rosemary, cayenne, ½ cup water, 1½ teaspoons salt, and chili pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the carrots begin to soften, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and cook, stirring often, until the carrots are tender and the liquid has thickened, 10 to 15 minutes more.

3. Discard the rosemary, or keep if its dried rosemary, and toss the carrots with the lemon juice and pecans.

glazed-carrots-su-1932461-l.jpg

Been eating them with with a Greek style roast chicken breast, (load of greek yoghurt mixed with chickpeas, garlic, paprika, ground cumin and coriander in a bowl, save a bit of sauce for when its cooked) on the chicken and bang it in the oven, add cherry tomatoes for the last 5 mins.

Also having it with new roast potatoes inc. mushrooms, red peppers, couple of bit of fatty bacon, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper etc in the oven for 35 mins.

Edited by The Nal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fantastic website. All recipes made from scratch. No jarred sauces, pastes etc. some of the breakfast stuff looks out of this world.

"Simply scratch".

:)

Nice try, but they didn't make their own pasta.

And Nigella is a naughty, naughty woman, with all her suggestive, delicious foodiness. She really whets the appetite, doesn't she?

Why can't we have a nice sexy male celebrity chef getting all fruity?

Crisp Butties...

1x bag of Walkers crips (any flavour)

4 x slices off Bread

1 x Butter

Spread butter on the bread.

Lay bread flat butter side up and pour half the bag on one slice and half the bag on the other slice.

Take the other two pieces of bread and lay them on top butter side down.

Cut down the middle or from corner to corner.

Serve with a soft drink and a apple.

Alternatively, hollow out a baguette, fill with crisps, and enjoy!

(used to have this for school lunch)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...