Noisy Neighbours

Guest Stardust-32

Hi Everyone,

Where we camped last year, we had a really rowdy noisy bunch camped next to us, with their own music system going on and beyond 6am the next day! The camp stewards didnt really tell them off until that time. Ear plugs didnt drown them out completely!

Numerous requests to turn it down fell on deaf ears, and were told "you dont come to Glastonbury to sleep".

Now, I'm all up for a bit of fun over the festival, but everyone needs *some* shut eye as well!

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? I think we will camp elsewhere this year! :lol:

Edited by Stardust-32

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Everyone,

Where we camped last year, we had a really rowdy noisy bunch camped next to us, with their own music system going on and beyond 6am the next day! The camp stewards didnt really tell them off until that time. Ear plugs didnt drown them out completely!

Numerous requests to turn it down fell on deaf ears, and were told "you dont come to Glastonbury to sleep".

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do? I think we will camp elsewhere this year! :lol:

Have to be drunk to sleep in a tent anyway.... :lol:

Try sleeping near the Jamaican cafe in the Big Ground - 24hr reggae!! Take your own system and drown them out I say!!!

Had similar in 2005 when i had a bunch of cockernees with an acoustic guitar singing coldplay songs at 5am. Bastards. I didn't do anything tho.

In 2007, a bed time ritual of two large swigs of vodka, 2 Kalms and 2 earplugs were the answer.

That "don't come to glastonbury to sleep" attiutude is bollocks - you expect noise, but a sound system is taking the piss. having said that, if i camped in pennards and oxylers etc i would expect loads of noise, which is why i can be found in the bovril field.

yours,

duffer.

Don't find a quieter field, find a much noisier one with a large sound system! Dragon has nice soothing music from LV that plays through the night until 8AM or something! It's only when that goes off that I wake up! :lol:

Last year I got smoked out of my tent by my neighbours BBQ at 8AM every morning, they were using my rain shelter and had the BBQ right at my porch, Grrr!

My first Glastonbury back in 1983 we were camped next to a group of guys who had a set of electic drums and they played them right through the night, every night. Its Glastonbury and thats what I loved so much about it. It was a 24 hour party.

It felt like that had changed a bit last year, and I dont blame the weather coz its been wet in the past and there was always a buzz around the campsite. I heard quite a few people in Pennards, where I was camping last year, moaning about the noise, and often the only noise was a group of people having a giggle or strumming a guitar!! I thought it was very quiet compared to previous years. Pennards was always much livelier in the past.

If you find yourself camped next to someone with a bongo drum, happy days, enjoy it - In my opinion the festival would be a poorer place if it were deathly quiet in the night. It hate for it to have a non-existance atmosphere in the campsites at night time such as the V festival. But if you really cant take it then there are a few quieter campsites at the festival.

Personally, I do need my sleep. Not a great deal, mind, but if I don't get a few hours a night I get pretty dreadful migraines. I like to camp on somewhere central so it is generally fairly humming all night, but I find that earplugs and an eye mask help enormously. If people are REALLY loud, i.e. they have thier own sound system, I'd be tempted to tell them to turn it off just because, well, it's a waste, really, but if they were just chatting and chilling I wouldn't dream of it.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

this is an issue that really annoys me... last year some people near us were playing some really weird breakcore bangra or something (it was the loudest and fastest music I've ever heard).

Me and my brother got back to our tent at about 4:30ish, lit a fire had a little smoke, listened to their weird music and went to bed, Now, by this point, the music was implanted in my brain, so I wasn't really hearing it, and I was out of it so we both dropped off to sleep, until,

"EXCUSE ME!! CAN YOU TURN THE MUSIC DOWN I'M TRYING TO SLEEP"

the guys with the music stopped playing it (although they put up a bit of a protest), but what annoyed me more was that some dickwad next door woke me up, so that they could go to sleep! how selfish!

You're at a music festival, if you want somewhere quiet go to the family field.

The same thing happened the next night too, except when they shouted to turn the music down my mate, who was sat around the fire told them to stop shouting around the tents, he was trying to listen to the music, it was a little funny....

i like to have a bit of kip, at least six hours a night or i'm useless - and as such i have to be careful where i camp. but i wouldnt tell anyone to shut up/turn it off/keep it down, its down to me to sort myself out. i think its wicked to get in at 3 or 4 and lie there for half an hour to the sound of drums, chatter and general hustle and bustle. one of me very favourite things. i'm a heavy sleeper too, so when i'm out i am gone - and only being boiled alive in the morning sun will wake me.

one thing that would get me out of my tent in a proper grump is some bastard playing bloody redemption song though. i bring scissors especially ready for their guitar strings!

I a bit torn on this one - I can't sleep with lots going on and personally I'd rather the whole festival feel silent for a good six or seven hours afetr my head touches the pillow. :lol: Joking aside, it's the life, the vibrancy and the 24 hour party that make Glasto what it is though.

I guess the answer is to camp somewhere quiet - can anyone suggest the best places?

I'm also going with a first time festival goer this year who's yet to be introduced to the er, delights of festival toilets etc.

We had a group next to us last year telling everyone to be quiet as they were trying to sleep. No one had any music playing or a guitar or anything it was just talking. I was actually able to sleep through them having a laugh so I have no idea why they got so pissed off with everyone talking.

Its a music festival! If you can't sleep get up and do something! when your tired enough you'll sleep through anything!

Agree with this, I'm a very light sleeper but slept well dispite the noise cos I was shattered, rule is, sleep when you HAVE to.

Going back to a post earlier I was woken up by someone telling someone to turn it down! The music didn't wake me up the ponce with the problem did!