NEXT GEN CONSOLES

Guest tHomBleached

That's actually a good way to put it - its more of an upgrade than a brand new console. If Ninty do a pack with the new console & a tablet but no wiimotes that would suit current owners fine.

I'll reserve judgement until we know more, and probably have a play before I buy. I have a friend who is a proper Nintendo fanboy (got the 3DS at midnight on day of release, that kind of thing), so will hopefully get an early play :)

Re Sony's pads - different situation because Sony aren't basing the marketing of their system & games around the controller!

edit; I just read that you will only get the tablet with the console itself, so only one tablet per console. That's taken away some fun options I thought were coming - I find it hard to see how they're going to innovate multi-player games like Mario Kart :(

Edited by Greeny_Musicchild

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ONE controller per console people. You add in wii motes for multiplayer, so cost on that front is no issue, everyone who has one will get one and wii motes will be totally affordable.

Jammy - yes, dev costs go up. to a degree. Technology gets cheaper and as it does people use it. For instance, nintendo made a game boy advance with a 3d screen, but it was too expensive. 10 years later we got a 3ds. Development costs don't just go up and up over the years until someone goes bankrupt. That's not how finance works.

It's exactly how dev costs are going - SNES games were made by teams in 12 weeks, cost typically 6 figures. PS1 games then averaged costs around $1 mil, PS2 $3-6mil and now we're up to $20mil +.

Ubisoft have said they expect costs to average around $50mil sooner or later and arn't kind of trying to sway away from it.

At Download from here so can't really talk about this more, will try on monday but it'll prob be buried.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/File:Factor_5_dev_costs.jpg

Edited by Greeny_Musicchild

So I completed LA Noire yesterday, (shit ending by the way) and want to carry on, seeing the sights, completing the side quests etc. No obvious way to do this? Any ideas?

BY the way, anyone got SSF4 Arcade Edition? Everyone online is trolling the hell out of Yun, Yang and Evil Ryu. No one playing as Oni (basically, a ultra hard version of Akuma). I'm sticking with the usual bunch of Honda, Blanka, Bison, Sakura, Dee Jay, Juri, Abel and Balrog.

No, it's more that people rarely use common sense and read reviews when buying some games. People have been saying for months that it's awful, yet the fanbois all queue up with their preorders! "It used to be ace", well so did doom, and look at how that has aged!

It's not an ageing game though, so that argument doesn't work. It's a game that's been constantly messed with again and again for 15 years. It should have been canned long ago, it's a bad joke IMO, but it's not ageing, it's new.

And its shit, really shit.

Good point. I never really liked Duke Nukem anyway.

Doom has aged badly (and to be fair, Doom had aged badly at the time. I remember getting 'Final (LOL) Doom' on the PS1 and that was bloody awful.) I was tempted to get it for 400 points from the marketplace for the hell of it, but i thought whats the point?

Goldeneye aged shockingly. Although I confess I didnt play the updated version.

Even some of the original Half Life doesnt really stand up today. Although, to be fair, compared to Half Life 2, not much does.

Edited by Purple Monkey

I think it's a bit sad that you think that, because I think goldeneye has aged well. Half life is still excellent.

It depends what you mean because it's very important to remember these games are very important. They invented a lot of mechanics that are taken for granted now. This is why I find it sad. It's the consumer in us that just wants the bigger flashier toy - this relates to an earlier rant I had about games not being art, or at least not being treated like they could be so they never are. Duke nukem 3D for instance advanced the genre rather significantly. It makes me wonder what the future holds for games when it's past and history seems to be held in such contempt by the masses. Without half-life we would have never got Portal. Again, I think this is down to games being marketed and sold on their technology and cutting edge gimmicks rather than their emotional content or artistic merit.

It's interesting to me because I don't know if videogames are currently leading the charge in innovative media or leading the charge in an unprecedented, terrifying level of mass consumerism.

So many things need to change. So many.

Just seen that apparently new Xbox is in development alongside a new timesplitters!!!!! yes life seems more complete. I think IGN published a good review on E3 and I kind of agree. The lack of new titles shows we are coming to the end of the console life, and although nothing fresh and amazing had a debut, the quality of games was there although abit too sequal dependant.