Tartan Heart 2008

Guest Paul ™

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh, just had a go at educating myself. Starship are ubercheesy (couldn't defend them against the musos but still reckon 6 pints and "We Built This City" would change a few minds). On the other hand I've reminded myself that Jefferson Starship did the original of "White Rabbit".

:P Cloud Factory may have a point (dodges virtual flying missiles . . . :angry: ).

But I accept that one song does not a festie make . . . :O

S

x

Oooh, just had a go at educating myself. Starship are ubercheesy (couldn't defend them against the musos but still reckon 6 pints and "We Built This City" would change a few minds). On the other hand I've reminded myself that Jefferson Starship did the original of "White Rabbit".

:angry: Cloud Factory may have a point (dodges virtual flying missiles . . . :O ).

But I accept that one song does not a festie make . . . :D

S

x

:angry: Cloud Factory may have a point (dodges virtual flying missiles . . . :O ).

But I accept that one song does not a festie make . . . :D

S

x

Edited by rauri

Thank you Rauri and PerthPerson . . . damn! Back to the classrroom (I've learnt the Lynyrd Skynyrd timeline so I know I can do this :angry:). I was taking my info from a Jefferson Starship live album track listing and obviously just got a little over-excited :O

If any JS supporters want to point me in the right direction I'm all ears!

S

x

Absolutely no chance. Jefferson Airplane sort of faded out in the early '70s, (albeit with some excellent solo albums produced around that time) and became Jefferson Starship in 1974. After some upheavals in 1984, Jefferson Starship became Starship after key principal Paul Kantner left. I'll dwell no longer on the Jeffersonless Starship (since most people here seem to know them and detest them, which is fine by me).

Kantner reformed Jefferson Starship in 1992, and in the thousand or so shows that they've played since, they've never played a (Jeffersonless) Starship track. In fact they've played virtually nothing Jefferson Starship recorded after 1979. They play a hefty amount of Airplane material, plus stuff from those early 70s solo albums, plus mid 70s JS stuff. They also do the occasional Quicksilver Messenger Service song (since David Freiberg was a founder member of QMS and on all their classic albums before joining JA and JS), some folk numbers and the other occasional cover.

Instead of moaning about a different band from 20 years ago, stroll along here http://www.304hollowayroad.com/jefferson/j...te_theatre.html and see them last Friday. Not their best show, and it was the first show for new singer Cathy Richardson, but it'll probably give you half an idea what they're like. Interesting version of White Rabbit, and an interesting medley of Diana->Pride(In The Name Of Love)->Volunteers

Absolutely no chance. Jefferson Airplane sort of faded out in the early '70s, (albeit with some excellent solo albums produced around that time) and became Jefferson Starship in 1974. After some upheavals in 1984, Jefferson Starship became Starship after key principal Paul Kantner left. I'll dwell no longer on the Jeffersonless Starship (since most people here seem to know them and detest them, which is fine by me).

Kantner reformed Jefferson Starship in 1992, and in the thousand or so shows that they've played since, they've never played a (Jeffersonless) Starship track. In fact they've played virtually nothing Jefferson Starship recorded after 1979. They play a hefty amount of Airplane material, plus stuff from those early 70s solo albums, plus mid 70s JS stuff. They also do the occasional Quicksilver Messenger Service song (since David Freiberg was a founder member of QMS and on all their classic albums before joining JA and JS), some folk numbers and the other occasional cover.

Instead of moaning about a different band from 20 years ago, stroll along here http://www.304hollowayroad.com/jefferson/j...te_theatre.html and see them last Friday. Not their best show, and it was the first show for new singer Cathy Richardson, but it'll probably give you half an idea what they're like. Interesting version of White Rabbit, and an interesting medley of Diana->Pride(In The Name Of Love)->Volunteers