UK Politics

kalifire

50 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

This from Sky may have consequences. She's jumping ship to join Owen Jones' campaign group 

Screenshot_20240505-212556.png

Is that part of the Galloway tribe? I give Jones and Galloway about two days before they're at war.

9 minutes ago, Neil said:

Is that part of the Galloway tribe? I give Jones and Galloway about two days before they're at war.

No, Momentum were the Corbyn activists. Massive force on the left of the party, and responsible for much of the ground campaigning and phone banks over the last few years. 

14 minutes ago, sheffinghell said:

No, Momentum were the Corbyn activists. Massive force on the left of the party, and responsible for much of the ground campaigning and phone banks over the last few years. 

the sort of fools that galloway wants to tap into [the sort of bandwagon jones loves to jump onto] ,where momentum campaigning and phone banks  led to the biggest election defeat, no, meaningful benefit, next up restate the false claim of the biggest membership of a party in europe, putin had a bigger party - a big membership means f**k all for the election result as the corbyn thrashing proved.

tories spinning the idea of a labour hung parliament and a coalition of chaos. think they've already killed that one   with 15 years of tory govt.

8 hours ago, Neil said:

tories spinning the idea of a labour hung parliament and a coalition of chaos. think they've already killed that one   with 15 years of tory govt.

and I don't think people would be too worried about a hung parliament (even though it could actually be a bit chaotic and short lived).

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

and I don't think people would be too worried about a hung parliament (even though it could actually be a bit chaotic and short lived).

It is highly unlikely that there will be a hung parliament - though if there was I can see Labour, Green s (if any) and Lib Dems having some sort of agreement with SNP included if they had to to get the numbers (and if Swinney is their new leader they would likely be more favourable).

Personally I want  a hung parliament that forces Labour as the larger party to work with others and take on some 'progressive' or as I call them, decent new, ideas.

Recent history shows the UK can manage 'coalitions' most of the time - just the one epic failure in Scotland.

11 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

It is highly unlikely that there will be a hung parliament - though if there was I can see Labour, Green s (if any) and Lib Dems having some sort of agreement with SNP included if they had to to get the numbers (and if Swinney is their new leader they would likely be more favourable).

Personally I want  a hung parliament that forces Labour as the larger party to work with others and take on some 'progressive' or as I call them, decent new, ideas.

Recent history shows the UK can manage 'coalitions' most of the time - just the one epic failure in Scotland.

we haven't had many coalitions in recent years, only the Cameron-Clegg one which was a bit of a disaster for the Lib Dems and may put them off doing it again, although Davey does seem similar to Starmer.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

we haven't had many coalitions in recent years, only the Cameron-Clegg one which was a bit of a disaster for the Lib Dems and may put them off doing it again, although Davey does seem similar to Starmer.

Loads of coalitions in councils which is what I was referring to and don't need official coalition to work together. Most people agree the UK needs change and personally I think that change would be quicker and better if parties worked together minus Tory and Reform.

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I’m not sure why a hung parliament would force labour to be more progressive. The SNP and Lib Dem’s are no more progressive than labour! You would be better off wanting a small labour majority which would give more power to the left labour MPs.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I’m not sure why a hung parliament would force labour to be more progressive. The SNP and Lib Dem’s are no more progressive than labour! You would be better off wanting a small labour majority which would give more power to the left labour MPs.

and even then a lot more likely would be a one term parliament...Tories won't stay unelectable forever...you never know Boris could be back in charge in a few years.

2 hours ago, steviewevie said:

a hung parliament will mean not-a-tory govt , which everyone will see as an improvement. 🙂

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

Our opinions on this differ - I am not sure why you want a small Labour majority as small majorities have  a history of giving more unstable government especially when by-elections are lost and the majority falls.

38 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Our former drinking hole was  a small 'tap house' it had one loo as there was no room for more than one.

What on earth are places that size supposed to do?

Daft idea to try and placate some small minded people whose lives seem obsessed by what others have in their pants.

11 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Our opinions on this differ - I am not sure why you want a small Labour majority as small majorities have  a history of giving more unstable government especially when by-elections are lost and the majority falls.

I don’t want a small majority, I want a thumping majority so Labour can deliver on the priorities of the people like they did in 1997.

My point was if you wanted labour pushed to the left (I don’t)  then a small majority is the way that happens, the thought of Burgon, RLB having greater power to me is a recipe for disaster.

15 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I think he was suggesting more likely get something progressive with a small majority labour government rather than a hung parliament (and hung parliaments often don't last).

List of 18 demands Starmer has to meet to get the muslim vote back. Apparently insurance cost more if your called Mohammed?

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t want a small majority, I want a thumping majority so Labour can deliver on the priorities of the people like they did in 1997.

My point was if you wanted labour pushed to the left (I don’t)  then a small majority is the way that happens, the thought of Burgon, RLB having greater power to me is a recipe for disaster.

Ok then - how does one go about voting in such a way to give Labour a small moinority?

Rhetorical question of course as there is no way I can do that - so I shall vote for the party whose policies are closest to my values and beliefs knowing they will not win but in the hope that the combined votes of all who do the same might, like with UKIP and Brexit, sway whoever is the government to change policy to try and gain those votes for themselves.