UK Politics

kalifire

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This one looks close..

Driscoll odds on to win then. Probably near enough to 100% of his vote will turn out vs maybe 60-70% of the polled labour voters at best.

Also a good sign for Corbyn and other ousted Labour MPs. Seems to be quite straight forward to galvanise the widespread antipathy and apathy towards Starmer’s Labour and win as an independent.

so...increase of asylum seekers crossing into Ireland from N Ireland, UK Govt saying this because of Rwanda policy which actually may have some truth to it, and Ireland want to send them back but UK saying f**k off.  Messy. Need to come up with a europe wide policy on this stuff (not just EU wide).

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

so...increase of asylum seekers crossing into Ireland from N Ireland, UK Govt saying this because of Rwanda policy which actually may have some truth to it, and Ireland want to send them back but UK saying f**k off.  Messy. Need to come up with a europe wide policy on this stuff (not just EU wide).

but this does help Sunak...Rwanda policy works + a possible returns deal with France/EU.

39 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Question.

Given we back control and now have full control of security on the UK how on earth did these people get to the UK on Small Boats, make their way over to a Welsh or Scottish Ferry port, take a ferry to NI and then get to ROI - all without anyone in the UK knowing they were here or what they were doing?

3 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Question.

Given we back control and now have full control of security on the UK how on earth did these people get to the UK on Small Boats, make their way over to a Welsh or Scottish Ferry port, take a ferry to NI and then get to ROI - all without anyone in the UK knowing they were here or what they were doing?

No idea. I guess they are waiting for asylum to be processed and just travelled using whatever documentation they have. Apparently there are quite a large number who have just disappeared from the system.

6 hours ago, steviewevie said:

yes, this all over the news now, could quit by end of the day.

He's quit according to the guardian Scotts wanted shot of the greens to protect the rights of women and girls.  Seems like lots of those people think those rights are protected by doing a deal with a sex offender.

1 minute ago, Neil said:

He's quit according to the guardian Scotts wanted shot of the greens to protect the rights of women and girls.  Seems like lots of those people think those rights are protected by doing a deal with a sex offender.

lol it was over Carbon targets and failure to increase council taxes which created the tensions with the Greens. Had very little to do with the trans issues, despite what the obsessives like Glinner and Jk Rowling claim. 

1 hour ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Question.

If they went via Scotland then it seems odd that they moved on from the immigrants paradise.

some Scots reckon that if Scotland worked it's own immigration regime it wouldn't be a backdoor route to rUK.

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

lol it was over Carbon targets and failure to increase council taxes which created the tensions with the Greens. Had very little to do with the trans issues, despite what the obsessives like Glinner and Jk Rowling claim. 

There's more Scots than the two you name who disliked those policies. Which I've been seeing in all sorts of places for many months.

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Driscoll odds on to win then. Probably near enough to 100% of his vote will turn out vs maybe 60-70% of the polled labour voters at best.

Also a good sign for Corbyn and other ousted Labour MPs. Seems to be quite straight forward to galvanise the widespread antipathy and apathy towards Starmer’s Labour and win as an independent.

Corbyn wasn't ousted he took his own decision to quit labour same as abbot did. Both too stupid to remain in the party 

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

There's more Scots than the two you name who disliked those policies. Which I've been seeing in all sorts of places for many months.

Well glinner isnt a scot.

My point is that it had nothing to do with the the trans issue. The Greens were going to vote to withdraw from the Brute House Agreement over carbon targets and failure to increase council tax, and Yousaf stupidly decided to sack them first in a very public way. Yousaf didnt ditch the greens over the trans issues. 

Edited by zahidf

3 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Lol whats that based on? 

its a tight race but i wouldn't say its a good sign for the other MPs ( and note Corbyn hasn't confirmed if he's running as an independent yet). 

7 minutes ago, Neil said:

Corbyn wasn't ousted he took his own decision to quit labour same as abbot did. Both too stupid to remain in the party 

Abbott had the Whip removed in April 2023 - she did not choose that.
Corbyn had the Whip removed in Oct 2020 - he did not choose that

Both are still party members and both, as they have had the whip removed, sit as independent MP's.

Fact though.. who needs them.

I blame the Scots.

9 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Abbott had the Whip removed in April 2023 - she did not choose that.
Corbyn had the Whip removed in Oct 2020 - he did not choose that

Both are still party members and both, as they have had the whip removed, sit as independent MP's.

Fact though.. who needs them.

I blame the Scots.

Abbott and Corbyn chose actions that they knew would lead to suspension. And they've chosen to remain suspended. I thought you wanted responsible politicians. Turns out you just want to labour bash like a Tory.

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Fact  though.. who needs them.

You don't.

You prefer to absolve jez and Diane for their self-chosen actions.

You prefer that to labour bash like a Tory.

4 minutes ago, Neil said:

Abbott and Corbyn chose actions that they knew would lead to suspension. And they've chosen to remain suspended. I thought you wanted responsible politicians. Turns out you just want to labour bash like a Tory.

Corbyn can apologise and get the whip back

Abbott has apologised for that letter and withdrawn it, but hasnt had the whip restored. In what way is she choosing to remain suspended exactly?

Edited by zahidf

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Well glinner isnt a scot.

My point is that it had nothing to do with the the trans issue. The Greens were going to vote to withdraw from the Brute House Agreement over carbon targets and failure to increase council tax, and Yousaf stupidly decided to sack them first in a very public way. Yousaf didnt ditch the greens over the trans issues. 

Unusally it looks like the minority party has come out of a coalition deal in better shape. Trans issues didn't cause  the split but it might influence what the next leader does. They will have to choose Greens or Alba to do a deal. I don't know anything about the favourite Swinney, I guess Forbes would prefer Alba.

2 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Question.

Anyone in the UK can get to Northern Island as easily as I could. People get to the UK on small boats because the French don't stop them. The EU insisted on  no border checks across  Ireland. They used the border against us in the Brexit deals cheered on by Ireland. We need a migrant deal with the EU but we shouldn't accept anyone  from any EU country until then. The migrants may come back voluntarily anyway because the Republic is not very welcoming to refugees.

23 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Unusally it looks like the minority party has come out of a coalition deal in better shape. Trans issues didn't cause  the split but it might influence what the next leader does. They will have to choose Greens or Alba to do a deal. I don't know anything about the favourite Swinney, I guess Forbes would prefer Alba.

With their 1 MSP and 2% favourability rating? I don't like her but she isn't mental

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Corbyn can apologise and get the whip back

Abbott has apologised for that letter and withdrawn it, but hasnt had the whip restored. In what way is she choosing to remain suspended exactly?

Maybe he does not want to apologise for being Anti War - as last I heard Labour were using him being part of the Anti War Coalition as the reason.

Careful though with your 2nd part else the OP will accuse you of bring a Tory as that seems to be their debating style.

44 minutes ago, zahidf said:

With their 1 MSP and 2% favourability rating? I don't like her but she isn't mental

Ths SNP only need one, it might get them through the next 2 years. Obviously support from the 7 Greens is better. Will the Greens benefiit from an election and what is the minimum they will they want from the next leader?

18 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Ths SNP only need one, it might get them through the next 2 years. Obviously support from the 7 Greens is better. Will the Greens benefiit from an election and what is the minimum they will they want from the next leader?

Sounds like it is going to be Swinney anyway, and everyone likes him apparently.

37 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

The last reason was the Anti War one from what I can find out.................. but either way he did not choose to be removed, he was booted out.

ok, but to be clear he didn't lose whip for Stop The War membership and the whole blame NATO for Russian invasion thing, but yes that would be one more thing stopping him from coming back,.