UK Politics

kalifire

26 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I can remember what the railways were like when they were last nationalised.  It wasn't great.

Me too I could decide to travel by train  with no notice, I'd know the fare and I could jump on any train that was going my way.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

I can remember what the railways were like when they were last nationalised.  It wasn't great.

I remember too, and I agree. Problem was that govts kept taking back the investment spending. Cos they could always find something else to spend it on. If it had had investment of the current levels it would have been much better.

Nationalisation is politically idiotic cos the govt that nationalises will be blamed for every late train and any rise in fares.nationalisation is a good idea but not a good idea politically. few votes will be won by doing it and loads will be lost.

And the govt will still take back the investment spending. Probably why labour want to nationalise. 

8 minutes ago, lazyred said:

Me too I could decide to travel by train  with no notice, I'd know the fare and I could jump on any train that was going my way.

A joined up service. Will take years to restore that.

27 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

No not great, but better than now, and at least a government could actually do something about it.

I think it’s a great idea, the railways are in an awful state currently, are overpriced and treat their staff terribly. This way Labour can address all these problems and actually make them better. 

Edited by Ozanne

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

I think it’s a great idea, the railways are in an awful state currently, are overpriced and treat their staff terribly. This way Labour can address all these problems and actually make them better. 

At what cost to the tax payer? Where's the money coming from (again)

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

but trouble is you could get a government who is ideologically opposed to the state and thinks everyone should be driving their own car so will underfund it out of existence (or just sell it off again).

Think need to nationalise water and utilities first.

100% agree

10 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

At what cost to the tax payer? Where's the money coming from (again)

The billions we subsidise the railways from for a start, then the billions paid out to shareholders............. the money is there if you remove the need for profit.
We need a public company run by someone competant to run it....... so no chance of it working LOL

Poll for Sky about how little people trust politicans, record numbers now do not trust what they say or what their motives are........

Electorate also says it will, in the majority, keep voting for the same two parties and then wonder why nothing ever really changes.

12 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Poll for Sky about how little people trust politicans, record numbers now do not trust what they say or what their motives are........

Electorate also says it will, in the majority, keep voting for the same two parties and then wonder why nothing ever really changes.

Doesn't polling show about 60% voting for the two main parties.. that's quite a shift.

21 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

the billions paid out to shareholders

Its not billions most of it goes on track maintenance and staff wages.

looks like they run on a 2% profit margin so very little for say big rises for the staff and imporvements to services.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46398947

Passengers in Great Britain spent a total of £9.7bn on fares in the year ending March 2017.

On top of that, passengers spent £800m on other things, like on-board catering.

Adding the two together, total train operator income was £10.5bn in 2016-17.

When it comes to outgoings, the Rail Delivery Group says its running costs were £10.3bn.

This means the train companies spent 98% of the income they received, with 2% left as profit.

Infact I'd expect those numbers to be lower post-covid now everyone works from home.

Edited by lost

15 minutes ago, lost said:

Its not billions most of it goes on track maintenance and staff wages.

looks like they run on a 2% profit margin so very little for say big rises for the staff and imporvements to services.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46398947

Infact I'd expect those numbers to be lower post-covid now everyone works from home.

Track maintenance is already 'public owned' Network rail 

3 hours ago, steviewevie said:

No not great, but better than now, and at least a government could actually do something about it.

Not much different to now  unreliable dirty and expensive.

govt did little to fix it cos it cost money to improve. And government would rather spend the money elsewhere. Keep an eye out for labour nicking the investment money I bet it'll get happen cos the same people demanding nationalisation also demand other spending.

Edited by Neil

19 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Greens pulled the plug overnight - SNP reacted this morning to try and look like it was their idea.

Nope not true, Green vote was next month not overnight. Although the gist of what you are saying is likely accurate as they may well have voted to end the agreement. 

Pretty funny considering Yousaf made it a central part of his campaign for leadership and reiterated the support like 2 days ago.

Glad to have Harvie & Slater out of government though. Total morons.