UK Politics

kalifire

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

Currently polls are not narrowing but 2 weeks ago they were. Prior to that they weren't, prior to that they were - that's my point they are all over the place despite today being an average of 20 points.

Give it 2 weeks scandal free after the budget and then where will we be?

The Tories PR machine, as I keep saying, is really really good.

true...and they have most of the papers on side...

So...anyway....assuming there are going to be tax cuts in the budget on wednesday...maybe 2p off NI or income tax....what then does Labour do? Say they will reverse these cuts and then risk the whole tax bombshell thing, or say they will not reverse them and then having even less money to play with when they get in power.

I reckon say they won't reverse them...get in with a massive landslide, then say oh we didn't realise things were this bad, we'll have to raise taxes...sorry guys..

25 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...anyway....assuming there are going to be tax cuts in the budget on wednesday...maybe 2p off NI or income tax....what then does Labour do? Say they will reverse these cuts and then risk the whole tax bombshell thing, or say they will not reverse them and then having even less money to play with when they get in power.

I reckon say they won't reverse them...get in with a massive landslide, then say oh we didn't realise things were this bad, we'll have to raise taxes...sorry guys..

100% the bit in bold.

Last week Channel 4 did a poll that showed 75% of people did not want tax cuts and would rather the money is spent on services instead.

To me reversing is  a no brainer - and maybe the electorate might appreciate the honesty.

6 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

100% the bit in bold.

Last week Channel 4 did a poll that showed 75% of people did not want tax cuts and would rather the money is spent on services instead.

To me reversing is  a no brainer - and maybe the electorate might appreciate the honesty.

I agree they should, just not sure they will.

57 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If they do that then they will be labelled liars and untrustworthy and will be out of power for 15 or more years.

Are they really that stupid?

4 hours ago, steviewevie said:

One good reason could be that currently looks like Tory party could get walloped.

they're going to get walloped whenever the election is, every time in my later lifetime when labour have replaced the tories the tories have got walloped, gonna take them longer to recover this time as there's no natural new leader - they'll probably have to re-invent themselves, probably as a near kipper party.

21 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

If they do that then they will be labelled liars and untrustworthy and will be out of power for 15 or more years.

Are they really that stupid?

we're about to find out. Not many good choices.

1. Say they will reverse tax cuts and spending cuts but then Tories can attack them on usual tax and spend and risks another 1992.

2. Say they will stick with tax cuts and then have more spending cuts and everything is sh*t unless they find some money from somewhere to fix everything.

3. Say they will stick with cuts but then reverse them when get into power saying they didn't realise things were so bad, get the bad stuff out of the way early in the parliament.

4. Some woolly compromise where they say they will make a decision on these tax/spending cuts when get into power, leaving them with wiggle room but then can get attacked for being indecisive.

5. Say f**k it you deal with it, and go down the pub.

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

May it is.

This pollster tends to be pretty swingy. Labour’s lead is the same as it was back at the beginning of Jan and end of Jan. It’ll probably swing back next week.

The 2 main pollsters show very strong Labour leads still.

4 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

They will just ignore all the amendments or vote them down in the Commons and it will go through more or less as it is - and be law by the end of March.

and first people on the plane just before the election is announced.

25 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

here's betting that farage used something like Hamas being his friends - using his history against him, same as the press did.

55 minutes ago, cellar said:

Bet you Labour still get a Majority

easy they will -  GG can cause a bit of disruption in a few seats - but there's not many seats with the ethnic mix he needs, there's only one GG to campaign, and he'll be wanting to keep his own seat.