UK Politics

kalifire

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

as in on in July or he's announcing one for later in the year?

He could just be setting a date for Autumn.

just a date coming ... didnt say more ... hes in a meeting so cant get more 

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Why would he sack Hunt?

The weird response here

"

At the post-PMQs huddle the PM’s press secretary also refused to say that Jeremy Hunt will be chancellor at the time of the next election. In the past Rishi Sunak has said that, and the press secretary’s answer may fuel speculation that we’re getting a reshuffle announcement later, not an election – (although that still seems unlikely).

Asked to confirm that that Sunak was still committed to keeping Hunt in post until the election, the press secretary replied:

We don’t comment on reshuffle speculation.

We think the chancellor’s doing a very good job and it’s very clear that the economy is on the up …

It’s the PM’s decision in terms of the cabinet positions."

I mean...why the hell would they call an election now when they're 20 points behind in the polls, unless they think by November they will be even further behind? So, would be crazy, but everyone seems to think it's happening. Maybe he will call one for September, but why not wait till after conference when they have loads more cash for the campaign, but then so will Labour. If it is something else then they really will look like they're messing with the country, dithering, bottling it...unless it is something serious like King abdication.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The weird response here

"

At the post-PMQs huddle the PM’s press secretary also refused to say that Jeremy Hunt will be chancellor at the time of the next election. In the past Rishi Sunak has said that, and the press secretary’s answer may fuel speculation that we’re getting a reshuffle announcement later, not an election – (although that still seems unlikely).

Asked to confirm that that Sunak was still committed to keeping Hunt in post until the election, the press secretary replied:

We don’t comment on reshuffle speculation.

We think the chancellor’s doing a very good job and it’s very clear that the economy is on the up …

It’s the PM’s decision in terms of the cabinet positions."

Imagine claiming your economic plan is going great then sacking your chancellor 🤣 surely not

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe he'll just announce a date in November to end all the speculation...but then why all the frenzy...Cameron coming back etc?

I think you get the cabinets say so for an election date

current rumour is that the IMF thing means no money for tax cuts in Autumn statement, so doing it now will be better than later

Nicholas Watts

"A Tory rebel source tells me: Letters are going in calling for a no confidence vote in Rishi Sunak after reports of an imminent general election announcement

Another Tory source: panic in the tea room. Nobody was expecting this. “Everyone mortified,” the source told me"

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think you get the cabinets say so for an election date

current rumour is that the IMF thing means no money for tax cuts in Autumn statement, so doing it now will be better than later

yes, saw that...but I don't know if these tax cuts are making any difference to the polls...but an improving economy with inflation falling and rate cuts etc might...(or might not).

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://x.com/nicholaswatt/status/1793286414651572467

Clearly another leadership election for the Tories is the best outcome

"A Tory rebel source tells me: Letters are going in calling for a no confidence vote in Rishi Sunak after reports of an imminent general election announcement"

stupid twats 🙂 

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Usual hubris from england fans before a ball has been kicked 

how's the usual scottish doom going?

5 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Ooooh it's happening!! 

Usual hubris from the mouthy before anything's been announced

Just now, Neil said:

how's the usual scottish doom going?

No doom from me Neil, booked up to go to germany with my pals for a week, same as we did for london in 2021, couldn't be more excited 🙂 

fwiw I think England have a very good chance of winning it 

Just now, fraybentos1 said:

No doom from me Neil, booked up to go to germany with my pals for a week, same as we did for london in 2021, couldn't be more excited 🙂 

fwiw I think England have a very good chance of winning it 

nah, but no one is saying that aboot the scots!

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

fs just google it you donut, it's everywhere

all speculation until its announced.