Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

12 hours ago, thetime said:

I think it's the worst werchter for a long time. 

Werchter is just about the lineups, it's quite poor and dated imo. 

You are right...but I like livemusic...with Instruments...and I miss that on Sziget...

As I came to Sziget for the first time, I had also 7 bands to see per day...now it's just the atmosphere. We will come with 6 friends. And it will be ok...but I will miss good music...and I will change Sziget into another yearly festival...maybe INMUSIC. We try it this year. And we celebrate the time to say goodbye...

6 hours ago, billybigballs said:

Lots of negativity around Coachella this weekend. Lots of issues with tech (Grimes), crowd apathy (Blur) and expense.

That said, No Doubt seem to have gone down very well.

We can but hope.

I hope they see how apathetic people were to LDR and stop trying to book her. Allegedly she flopped once at Sziget, why go again? If you like her music, fine, listen to her on Spotify. Why bother to see anyone who phones it in?

Gwen Stefani gets it done live. I don't think there is much chance of seeing her, but I agree, we can hope for No Doubt + Charli XCX, that would be a killer combo.

8 minutes ago, gunghoglen said:

I hope they see how apathetic people were to LDR and stop trying to book her. Allegedly she flopped once at Sziget, why go again? If you like her music, fine, listen to her on Spotify. Why bother to see anyone who phones it in?

Gwen Stefani gets it done live. I don't think there is much chance of seeing her, but I agree, we can hope for No Doubt + Charli XCX, that would be a killer combo.

Lana is a huge act, she's clearly worth taking the risk and thats why Coachella + others have all booked her

1 hour ago, gunghoglen said:

also despite popular belief on most forums, Blur had the worst crowd engagement, so much so that apparently Damon Albarn told them they're never going again

6 minutes ago, iamdebrii said:

also despite popular belief on most forums, Blur had the worst crowd engagement, so much so that apparently Damon Albarn told them they're never going again

I don't know what he expected tbh. Coachella crowd is generally not the greatest, they've never hit the charts in the US and most of the crowd were little kids (or not even born) when Blur were at their peak. Don't think it would be much better at Sziget nowadays, most of the people (except the Brits ofc) would only know Song 2.

9 hours ago, billybigballs said:

Lots of negativity around Coachella this weekend. Lots of issues with tech (Grimes), crowd apathy (Blur) and expense.

That said, No Doubt seem to have gone down very well.

We can but hope.

I'm a wedding and parties DJ and I literally don't understand how Grimes was able to make so many mistakes. I use traktor so maybe she was using something more complex/glamorous. 

I also don't understand why blur were booked for coachella. According to a short interview they did with KROQ, their management was called one night at 11pm and they were given 5 minutes to decide. I wonder if it's the Coachella organisers sticking 2 fingers up at their influencer punters, or otherwise trying to demonstrate they are still rock fans. 

1 hour ago, Newjem said:

I don't know what he expected tbh. Coachella crowd is generally not the greatest, they've never hit the charts in the US and most of the crowd were little kids (or not even born) when Blur were at their peak. Don't think it would be much better at Sziget nowadays, most of the people (except the Brits ofc) would only know Song 2.

Wouldn't the same be said about No Doubt, who went down well.

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

Wouldn't the same be said about No Doubt, who went down well.

What do you mean? No Doubt is American so obvs they know them better than Blur, and No Doubt has 6-7 hits, Blur literally has one song that anyone knows outside the UK. 

Or I am misunderstanding what you are saying.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Akujin said:

What do you mean? No Doubt is American so obvs they know them better than Blur, and No Doubt has 6-7 hits, Blur literally has one song that anyone knows outside the UK. 

No, Blur have at least 6-7 hits outside the UK that I can think of. I think it's more likely instead that Coachella had a dull crowd.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

No, Blur have at least 6-7 hits outside the UK that I can think of. I think it's more likely instead that Coachella had a dull crowd.

6-7 hits that used to be played (or still is) in the radio? No way...

6 minutes ago, Newjem said:

I´d say people listen more to Spotify than the radio these days.  

I saw Blur in a festival last summer and the audience could sing along to at least half of the songs. Doubt Sziget will book them though. 

22 minutes ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I´d say people listen more to Spotify than the radio these days.  

I saw Blur in a festival last summer and the audience could sing along to at least half of the songs. Doubt Sziget will book them though. 

were you in the UK for that festival? Also if you are right in the front I guess any artist will have people singing in the front.

I think Spotify is not a great representation because many people might not go and purposefully listens to them now but I’m helluva sure they still know at least 5-6 somgs because they were huge on MTV, and everyone in my generation just knows these somgs by heart.

On a seperate note Coachella audeince does look horrible to me I would never go.

3 minutes ago, Akujin said:

were you in the UK for that festival? Also if you are right in the front I guess any artist will have people singing in the front.

I think Spotify is not a great representation because many people might not go and purposefully listens to them now but I’m helluva sure they still know at least 5-6 somgs because they were huge on MTV, and everyone in my generation just knows these somgs by heart.

On a seperate note Coachella audeince does look horrible to me I would never go.

No I was not at the front of the gig and attended Way Out West in Sweden. 

But I definitely agree with your point regarding MTV vs Spotify.

1 hour ago, ParanoidTourist said:

I really do like blur but that's a stretch. People who don't consider them self Blur fans outside of the UK may know Coffee and TV, and Boys and Girls, and that's for the 30+ crowd. The target audience for this year's sziget only knows song 2

11 hours ago, Akujin said:

I don't uderstand this though. Why would they headline festivals throughout Europe if they know just song 2. 

Stone Roses had the same issue at coachella on there reunion. 

27 minutes ago, thetime said:

I don't uderstand this though. Why would they headline festivals throughout Europe if they know just song 2. 

Stone Roses had the same issue at coachella on there reunion. 

I don’t know what’s not to understand about the fact both these bands are niche acts in the US. They’re not popular in the rest of the world as they are in the UK. They mostly headline alternative festivals like Primavera (no Werchter, Mad Cool or Open’er) where people love them. I don’t think they would be able to sell out stadiums (or even arenas) in mainland Europe.

13 hours ago, Newjem said:

I actually heard Country House (song from Blur) from a radio few weeks ago and I was kind of surprised that they even play it. I agree that most of the people knows just "that song was in Fifa".

Still I would be happy for live band like Blur despite their unpopularity with young audience.

So right now we are leaning towards one of: No Doubt / Blur / Maneskin / QoTSA / The Strokes ? 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, lukatej said:

So right now we are leaning towards one of: No Doubt / Blur / Maneskin / QoTSA / The Strokes ? 

Another long shot would be RHCP. They don't have anything scheduled after July 30.

Paramore might still be an option too.

Edited by #1SzigetFan

4 minutes ago, Finnlagh said:

Arcade Fire would fit the gap nicely too no?

They could be possible, but as I said before, they didn't sell out Budapest Arena the last time they played in Hungary.

31 minutes ago, #1SzigetFan said:

They could be possible, but as I said before, they didn't sell out Budapest Arena the last time they played in Hungary.

Would any of the current headliners be able to sell out Budapest Arena?

I think the allegations around Win Butler's behaviour would potentially count Arcade Fire out tbh.

I've stated before, but the reason for non-announcement must be a good one.

It's three weeks since the second announcement and with 112 days to go until the festival begins, the opening day still doesn't have a headliner. This will affect all ticket sales, especially the one day one which, I suspect, will have sold next to none.

Why leave it so long? If it's not a big name incoming, then it's because a major f*ck up in their booking strategy has been made and Mackelmore will be announced next week.

Trying to be positive, and because the line-up is definitely missing a REALLY big ticket seller (Fred excepted, perhaps), I'm going to go out on a limb and state I truly believe this a big name is incoming. Well, bigger than what we have so far.

Who that is, is a different matter entirely.

Edited by billybigballs
  • Upvote 1