Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

18 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

I remember when majority were like "blablabla Coldplay impossible for festivals"... . Thank you Glastonbury.

I hope now everyone realise that it's only a matter of MONEY. Hey, Rihanna performed at a wedding for 9 millions, ok ..? So please no more " gnagnagna blabla he's/they/she not doing festivals etc...".

But considering the obvious Sziget budget for music, indeed I don't believe 1 second that they could get Taylor Swift lol. Or AC/DC or The Weeknd.

We should look at acts that use to be subhead or "normal" headliners.. James Blunt, Sia, Usher, etc.. and if we get lucky, someone who haven't performed for a while like Shakira or Ariana Grande, etc... (Katy Perry still seems to me too big for the "Nowadays Sziget" 😞 )

F*ckin hell. I've never said they are impossible for Glastonbury. I've mentioned several times Glastonbury and Coachella are different level and we should not compare them to other festivals. Coldplay love Glasto and wouldn't be surprised if Chris Martin was already pitching a tent there and did the show for free (just a joke of course). I swear he's showing up there as a special guest every year. So no, it's not just a matter of money and Coldplay ARE impossible for Sziget. More "gnagnagna blabla" incoming 😉

• Upvote 6

It's rained all afternoon here in the UK so took the opportunity to give a 'proper' listen to some of the lesser known acts from the 1st announcement (well, lesser known to me!).

Really enjoying Pip Blom's most recent album, Robbie. Think I dismissed them too early and glad I took the time to given them another go.

Still can't get the hype around Wednesday. I should like them but really don't.

Not exactly first announcement, rather self-announced recently, but Kiasmos impressing me. Very chill.

Dagny has some pop bangers and should be a good way to spend an hour.

Joesef has a few decent songs and might be worth a look.

Struggling to get into Joker Out, they're popular on socials but I'm not impressed tbh. Same with Azahriah, really can't understand the love for his music, it seems very samey.

And finally, Big Thief. Try as I might, I'm struggling to generate enough interest to listen to more than three or four songs without wanting to move onto something else.

6 hours ago, billybigballs said:

It's rained all afternoon here in the UK so took the opportunity to give a 'proper' listen to some of the lesser known acts from the 1st announcement (well, lesser known to me!).

Really enjoying Pip Blom's most recent album, Robbie. Think I dismissed them too early and glad I took the time to given them another go.

Still can't get the hype around Wednesday. I should like them but really don't.

Not exactly first announcement, rather self-announced recently, but Kiasmos impressing me. Very chill.

Dagny has some pop bangers and should be a good way to spend an hour.

Joesef has a few decent songs and might be worth a look.

Struggling to get into Joker Out, they're popular on socials but I'm not impressed tbh. Same with Azahriah, really can't understand the love for his music, it seems very samey.

And finally, Big Thief. Try as I might, I'm struggling to generate enough interest to listen to more than three or four songs without wanting to move onto something else.

So I listened to all the stuff as well so far not too many has been added to my must watch list, after the first listen but here is my Total list of what I would check out for now

Fred

Four Tet

Grandson

Liam (mainly morbid curiosity if he can be less shite than at Madcool)

Skrillex (if true)

Editors

Grandson

Argy

MO

Meute

Yard act

Ameme

Blondshell (By far my biggest new favourite frome the ones I didn’t know)

Wednessday

Pip Blom

Kiasmos (For some reason I have heard Looped like a 100 times but can’t remember where. I guess could be a game or Tiktok but it really annoys me that I can’t remember…)

Edited by Akujin

8 minutes ago, Akujin said:

Lollapalooza is teasing Skrillex. They are dropping the announcement on Tuesday.

Sziget announcement coming on Tuesday?

If Sziget is announcing on Tuesday they would surely have started teasing the announcement by now?

My money is on this coming Thuraday or the following Tuesday at the absolute latest.

• Upvote 2

On 3/16/2024 at 10:06 AM, SzigetEire said:

Thing is with Liam, he’s gonna do his new album with John Squire

Looks like the first part of his tour will be with John Squire but the second half is the Definitley Maybe tour. Think it’s 30 years since it’s release

18 hours ago, billybigballs said:

I'm totally the opposite - School, Babies Are a Lie, Daddy Issues, Come Home etc. sounds great, but this latest one contains annoying beats.

23 hours ago, Newjem said:

F*ckin hell. I've never said they are impossible for Glastonbury. I've mentioned several times Glastonbury and Coachella are different level and we should not compare them to other festivals. Coldplay love Glasto and wouldn't be surprised if Chris Martin was already pitching a tent there and did the show for free (just a joke of course). I swear he's showing up there as a special guest every year. So no, it's not just a matter of money and Coldplay ARE impossible for Sziget. More "gnagnagna blabla" incoming 😉

I was actually thinking of someone else for this "no way they're doing festivals" lol 😉 

About Coldplay, their fee being over 3.5M also makes me think that there is no way Sziget will book them. I don't know how much Prince or David Bowie used to ask, but nowadays we all understand Sziget won't spend that much money anymore for a single act.

But I still maintain : offer those 9 Millions Rihanna got for the indian wedding, and even Coldplay will come to Budapest lol.

30 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

I was actually thinking of someone else for this "no way they're doing festivals" lol 😉 

About Coldplay, their fee being over 3.5M also makes me think that there is no way Sziget will book them. I don't know how much Prince or David Bowie used to ask, but nowadays we all understand Sziget won't spend that much money anymore for a single act.

But I still maintain : offer those 9 Millions Rihanna got for the indian wedding, and even Coldplay will come to Budapest lol.

They are coming,they have 3 sold out shows in June.

28 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

But they're not paid that much at Glasto. It's a well known fact that Glasto fees are way smaller compared to other festivals: "In 2017, Glasto organiser Emily Eavis previously revealed artists get paid less than 10% of what they are typically paid by other festivals." (Metro) Coldplay were paid only £200,000 for one of their previous headline shows.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2024 at 2:00 PM, Matt86 said:

I remember when majority were like "blablabla Coldplay impossible for festivals"... . Thank you Glastonbury.

I hope now everyone realise that it's only a matter of MONEY. Hey, Rihanna performed at a wedding for 9 millions, ok ..? So please no more " gnagnagna blabla he's/they/she not doing festivals etc...".

But considering the obvious Sziget budget for music, indeed I don't believe 1 second that they could get Taylor Swift lol. Or AC/DC or The Weeknd.

We should look at acts that use to be subhead or "normal" headliners.. James Blunt, Sia, Usher, etc.. and if we get lucky, someone who haven't performed for a while like Shakira or Ariana Grande, etc... (Katy Perry still seems to me too big for the "Nowadays Sziget" 😞 )

It's not exactly a question of money with Glastonbury. In fact, Glastonbury pays its artists considerably less than other festivals. Simply playing there is something special, and that's why they can get artists who would never do festivals to perform there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billybigballs said:

Sziget on Facebook chat under yesterday's STMPD RCRDS post have confirmed that Martin Garrix will play in Party Arena after he's done his main stage show.

Could be a little busy! Lol.

you probably mistranslated something, that is not what they say

3 hours ago, 2_d said:

Skrillex is confirmed by the way as I heard, he's gonna do the set with Fred

(didnt check far back if this was said by others here)

Yes he’s been mentioned for multiple reasons, including leaks dropping an 👽 emoji

Edited by Akujin

Posted (edited)

Could he be? There's a gap between his dates (nothing scheduled between 15 June and 20 August)

Edit: Nevermind, he is touring with Silk Sonic in the US before August 20

Edited by #1SzigetFan