Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

29 minutes ago, iamdebrii said:

whilst maintaining Sziget's commercial appeal?

Lana, Jorja, James Blake, Jungle, RAYE, Sevdaliza, Kali Uchis, Bicep, Charli XCX, 21 Savage, Maneskin, Omar Apollo, Troye Sivan, FKA Twigs, Arca, Kim Petras

(all in Europe next summer, its not a random list)

Edited by rowexx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iamdebrii said:

For the sake of passing the time till announcement, which acts do you think could solidify the current line-up whilst maintaining Sziget's commercial appeal?

They need a prestige booking or two, so Killers, Lana and Maneskin should be top of the list. 

Also need a few more guitars, so Vaccines, Biffy Clyro and I'd re-book NBT. 

A few more female acts too, so Kenya Grace, Raye, Last Dinner Party and, of course, Wet Leg. 

That's ten that would significantly improve the way the line-up currently looks IMHO. 

EDIT: Forgot Charli XCX and Bicep (stolen suggestions from @rowexx! Lol) 

Edited by billybigballs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, billybigballs said:

They need a prestige booking or two, so Killers, Lana and Maneskin should be top of the list. 

Also need a few more guitars, so Vaccines, Biffy Clyro and I'd re-book NBT. 

A few more female acts too, so Kenya Grace, Raye, Last Dinner Party and, of course, Wet Leg. 

That's ten that would significantly improve the way the line-up currently looks IMHO. 

EDIT: Forgot Charli XCX and Bicep (stolen suggestions from @rowexx! Lol) 

Would love The Last Dinner Party and Wet Leg, I guess they're realistic to be there? 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, rowexx said:

Lana, Jorja, James Blake, Jungle, RAYE, Sevdaliza, Kali Uchis, Bicep, Charli XCX, 21 Savage, Maneskin, Omar Apollo, Troye Sivan, FKA Twigs, Arca, Kim Petras

This is Primavera Sound editorial line-up. I think we could expect 2-3 at most from here. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:47 PM, rowexx said:

Lana and Maneskin aside.. who are the rest? are they supposed to be recognizable acts or? They look like a bunch of random bands/acts tossed together.

2 hours ago, Dukkai said:

Lana and Maneskin aside.. who are the rest? are they supposed to be recognizable acts or? They look like a bunch of random bands/acts tossed together.

Yeah to me they are very recognizable at least and I'd love to see a few of those names

3 hours ago, nitschd said:

Yeah to me they are very recognizable at least and I'd love to see a few of those names

yep, "recognizable"... but average. Nice average names for an average festivaL.

We think (we thought) that Sziget was a Major Festival.

4 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

yep, "recognizable"... but average. Nice average names for an average festivaL.

We think (we thought) that Sziget was a Major Festival.

and what names would make it a major festival? 🤔

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Newjem said:

and what names would make it a major festival? 🤔

well, take a look at the "opponents" , like Mad Cool, Rock Werchter, Glastonbury (when their line up will be available) .. it will give you an idea

23 minutes ago, Matt86 said:

well, take a look at the "opponents" , like Mad Cool, Rock Werchter, Glastonbury (when their line up will be available) .. it will give you an idea

Also, Rock en Seine has a brilliant line up this year: Lana, LCD Soundsystem, the Smile, Måneskin, Massive attack, PJ Harvey, The Offspring etc. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, iamdebrii said:

for those who are uncertain of the line-up atm, which remaining 3/4 headliners would be on par with the ones we currently have to truly put the nail in the coffin for your festival hopes this year? 

I could name dozens of acts but, basically, anyone who truly isn't at the headline stage of their career yet (or anymore). 

So, from my p.o.v, if someone like LCD Soundsystem was announced it would be a 'meh' or an act like Kasabian or Arcade Fire. 

I quoted The Killers, Lana or Maneskin as prestige a couple of days ago. Anyone else like that. 

I'm more concerned by the undercard if I'm honest.

Of the headliners, I'll definitely watch Fred Again, and maybe watch the other three too depending on what else is on.

However,on the undercard there's only really Aurora, Yard Act and Nova Twins that I can't wait to see. Three acts across six days is a pretty sh*t rate of return! 

Edited by billybigballs
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

However,on the undercard there's only really Aurora, Yard Act and Nova Twins that I can't wait to see. Three acts across six days is a pretty sh*t rate of return! 

Can't say I disagree. We're also checking out Zoe Wees, Grandson and Becky Hill but the undercard doesn't even compare to the last time we've been (2022) which had a good (not great) undercard.

edit: i wonder how aware management is of the reaction to their current set of names, social media has been pretty vocal thus far from what i can see

Edited by iamdebrii
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt86 said:

Still don’t know the difference. You need to be more specific. @rowexx named some pretty exciting names which other major festivals have or want in their lineup. Glastonbury is in their own league, never understood why people compare it to other festivals. Don’t see that many great names in the lineups of the other two. Apart from Dua and Foos/PJ, you can see they also struggle with headliners this year and have lots of outdated bands booked. What is so exciting about Mando Diao, Simple Plan, Tom Odell or The Kooks in 2024?

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, iamdebrii said:

edit: i wonder how aware management is of the reaction to their current set of names, social media has been pretty vocal thus far from what i can see

It's an interesting question. I'm not sure what Leaks' connection to the festival is, but he appears to be very close to it and even he thought it was a 'meh' announcement in December, but a couple of months earlier he stated it was shaping up to be a good one (or words to that effect).

They obviously felt they needed to announce ahead of Christmas, but the line-up is clearly under-developed and the social media reaction to it has been pretty brutal. And continues to be, with every further post.

However, I suspect they are far more interested in ticket sales (for ticket income but also to attract traders etc - the more tickets sold, the more they can charge for pitches). If sales fell off a cliff once the announcement was made, they'll know they need to step things up for the next one.

17 minutes ago, billybigballs said:

It's an interesting question. I'm not sure what Leaks' connection to the festival is, but he appears to be very close to it and even he thought it was a 'meh' announcement in December, but a couple of months earlier he stated it was shaping up to be a good one (or words to that effect).

I'm not sure what could have went sideways but from Leaks' comments and line-up it's clear that there has been some struggle with bookings. That being said, I'm very hopeful for Feb/March.

12 hours ago, Newjem said:

Still don’t know the difference. You need to be more specific. @rowexx named some pretty exciting names which other major festivals have or want in their lineup. Glastonbury is in their own league, never understood why people compare it to other festivals. Don’t see that many great names in the lineups of the other two. Apart from Dua and Foos/PJ, you can see they also struggle with headliners this year and have lots of outdated bands booked. What is so exciting about Mando Diao, Simple Plan, Tom Odell or The Kooks in 2024?

to simply put, bands that would make a decisive factor and when people see the announcement they would actually consider buying a ticket for at least a day pass for the festival.

Good example of that was Imagine Dragons and Billie Eilish last year. Whatever you may think about their music, they are huge names and people would go to the festival just to see their act.

Another good indicator would be if you had those names on a poster and showed it to random people on the street whether they would recognize the names there or not. Acts listed by rowexx - Lana, Jorja, James Blake, Jungle, RAYE, Sevdaliza, Kali Uchis, Bicep, Charli XCX, 21 Savage,  Omar Apollo, Maneskin, Troye Sivan, FKA Twigs, Arca, Kim Petras, I can guarantee you that out of 100 people, you would find max 10 that would recognize more than 3 acts there, with 2 being Lana and Maneskin.

As for other festivals headliners..

Take for example Mad Cool: Dua Lipa, Smashing Pumpkins, Nothing but Thieves, Garbage, Pearl Jam, Avril Lavigne, SUM 41, Jessie Ware, Bring me the horizon. Musical taste aside, the hypothetical 100 people from the example above, at least 50% of those would recognize at least 3-4 acts from there (unless you pick 100 people that only listen to domestic music or sth like that)

Rock Werchter has, in addition to some of the above acts Foo Fighters, Snow Patrol and Lenny Kravitz who are all 3 bigger individually than all of the current Sziget acts all pilled together (if you leave out Fred again and Sam Smith).

"Outdated" or not (however silly that idea sounds in the first place) some of those bands (like Smashing Pumpkins, Garbage or The Offspring) would sell more festival and daily passes then, for example, Stormzy or Louis Tomlinson.

Edited by Dukkai
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dukkai said:

"Outdated" or not (however silly that idea sounds in the first place) some of those bands (like Smashing Pumpkins, Garbage or The Offspring) would sell more festival and daily passes then, for example, Stormzy or Louis Tomlinson.

As much as I'd hate to say it I'm sure Louis Tomlinson is responsible for a good chunk of ticket sales. Take a look at any social media platform and you'll definitely find at least one of his fans. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dukkai said:

to simply put, bands that would make a decisive factor and when people see the announcement they would actually consider buying a ticket for at least a day pass for the festival.

Good example of that was Imagine Dragons and Billie Eilish last year. Whatever you may think about their music, they are huge names and people would go to the festival just to see their act.

Another good indicator would be if you had those names on a poster and showed it to random people on the street whether they would recognize the names there or not. Acts listed by rowexx - Lana, Jorja, James Blake, Jungle, RAYE, Sevdaliza, Kali Uchis, Bicep, Charli XCX, 21 Savage,  Omar Apollo, Maneskin, Troye Sivan, FKA Twigs, Arca, Kim Petras, I can guarantee you that out of 100 people, you would find max 10 that would recognize more than 3 acts there, with 2 being Lana and Maneskin.

As for other festivals headliners..

Take for example Mad Cool: Dua Lipa, Smashing Pumpkins, Nothing but Thieves, Garbage, Pearl Jam, Avril Lavigne, SUM 41, Jessie Ware, Bring me the horizon. Musical taste aside, the hypothetical 100 people from the example above, at least 50% of those would recognize at least 3-4 acts from there (unless you pick 100 people that only listen to domestic music or sth like that)

Rock Werchter has, in addition to some of the above acts Foo Fighters, Snow Patrol and Lenny Kravitz who are all 3 bigger individually than all of the current Sziget acts all pilled together (if you leave out Fred again and Sam Smith).

totally disagree with the Louis Tomlinson statement, just looking at comments, many people will be there just for him (I know 4 people personally who will attend just because of him). I don't really care about him but I think many people actually do. I also see that with many other festivals he's playing (i.e. Superbloom Festival in Munich).

3 hours ago, iamdebrii said:

As much as I'd hate to say it I'm sure Louis Tomlinson is responsible for a good chunk of ticket sales. Take a look at any social media platform and you'll definitely find at least one of his fans. 

2 hours ago, nitschd said:

totally disagree with the Louis Tomlinson statement, just looking at comments, many people will be there just for him (I know 4 people personally who will attend just because of him). I don't really care about him but I think many people actually do. I also see that with many other festivals he's playing (i.e. Superbloom Festival in Munich).

True, but I would say those fans are there for the Louis Tomlinson feat. One Direction set, not LT himself so he is an anomaly here.

As a solo artist he barely has enough of his songs to fit an hour and a half set and I doubt he will be playing both his albums back to back.. So, realistically, we are looking at his hits and newer work mixed together with One direction songs.

So, in a way, they got the hype as if One Direction will be there, but without One Direction 😄

19 minutes ago, Dukkai said:

True, but I would say those fans are there for the Louis Tomlinson feat. One Direction set, not LT himself so he is an anomaly here.

As a solo artist he barely has enough of his songs to fit an hour and a half set and I doubt he will be playing both his albums back to back.. So, realistically, we are looking at his hits and newer work mixed together with One direction songs.

So, in a way, they got the hype as if One Direction will be there, but without One Direction 😄

What?

a) he only played two One Direction songs on his last tour (which was in the arenas btw)

b) would you say the same thing about people going to Ozzy’s shows? Or those who want to see Roger Waters?

c) is it even a bad thing? There’s a hype around him and he sells tons of tickets.

Edited by Newjem