Sziget Festival 2024

#1SzigetFan

EXIT's lineup looks like something more for Fezen than Sziget. BEPs were at Fezen last year. Not a good start to the season, especially if you like live bands. My bet is QOTSA or Strokes will be the live rock band this year. That's fine, but not at big as Imagine Dragons last year. Offspring are a blast, but probably not what Sziget wants anymore. 2024 may just not be a great year on the festival circuit, that's all. Right now, for me, Jazzpiknik has the best lineup so far for next year, and by that I mean a lineup that can meet expectations. Maybe Balaton Sound. Sziget can finish strong, but has some catching up to do....

So I'm based in Budapest and I've been thinking. If these were club gigs I would definitely go and see Grandson, Fontaines DC, Nova Twins, Wednesday and Pip Blom. I think the first 3 would cost me about 30 euros each, the second two would be about 10-15 euros. I think I've paid about 275 euros for the pass, and I've got bands already that I would see anyway for 120 euros. So if the second announcement will be a similar one for me then I'm basically attending the whole thing with no extra cost, and that's pretty cool.

So in that light I'm more than delighted with this first announcement, especially if the second one includes 5 more bands that I'd see anyway.

It's easy for me though, having such a major festival right on my doorstep almost. (I'm wondering though if Sziget will take place in the same place 10 years later, it's definitely causing problems for a lot of people here, you would normally have these kind of festivals somewhere that's not right inside a city.)

4 minutes ago, iamdebrii said:

something to chew on for the holidays but if Sziget ARE indeed taking the younger audience/UK route, they should/could get Ice Spice, 21 Savage, AJ Tracey, Skepta & Romy who are in nearby festival at the time (Open'er, Grape, Melt, Way Out West) 

As someone who isn't young, this would be my idea of hell. Lol.

If they do go down that route, they would be better to do it over time (three years with incremental changes each year). Doing it in one sudden shift could work, but if doesn't work it would be difficult to attract people back once you've lost them. 

It's possible they are going down this route, and this is year one, but when you aim purely at a young audience you tend not to have recurring visitors. Reading and Leeds found that in 2023 when it didn't come close to selling out, despite 2022 selling out in a few days.

6 hours ago, iamdebrii said:

something to chew on for the holidays but if Sziget ARE indeed taking the younger audience/UK route, they should/could get Ice Spice, 21 Savage, AJ Tracey, Skepta & Romy who are in nearby festival at the time (Open'er, Grape, Melt, Way Out West) 

Are these names any popular outside the UK?

13 hours ago, king_oxymoron said:

It doesn’t seem like the style of many of the posters here… but if anyone is a fan of pop music, you can’t go far wrong with Dagny, catchy songs and an energetic, committed live performer. 

started listening to her a few days ago and she’s really nice!

also for indie pop/alternative fans, joesef is great!! give “it’s been a little heavy lately” a listen to get an idea

• Upvote 1

Hey fellow Sziget fans,

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

I was just wondering upon the likelihood of a few following names;

SZA, Hozier, Noah Kahan, Teskey Brothers, Kenya Grace, Snow Patrol 

I know a lot of there aren't 'big names' but a girl can dream! I'm not as good at the rest of you at predicting this stuff, so wondering if they've already been ruled out! 🙂 

12 hours ago, Til said:

Hey fellow Sziget fans,

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

I was just wondering upon the likelihood of a few following names;

SZA, Hozier, Noah Kahan, Teskey Brothers, Kenya Grace, Snow Patrol 

I know a lot of there aren't 'big names' but a girl can dream! I'm not as good at the rest of you at predicting this stuff, so wondering if they've already been ruled out! 🙂 

Hey!

SZA and Hozier are not in Europe during Sziget so yes, they have been ruled out already. All the others seem to be around at that time, so might be a possibility. Snow Patrol and Kenya especially, since they are doing lots of festivals.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Karlos12345 said:

Strokes? Did I miss some rumors?

Happy New Year! Leaks said that they're negotiating with QOTSA and The Strokes for the rock headliner spot.

But I don't really see QOTSA as headliners, they're not that popular... they barely sold out Budapest Park few years ago.

Edited by #1SzigetFan
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't say that it is an age thing regarding the lineup

I was listening to the official playlist last couple of days and I noticed that majority of songs/artists are EDM, like 3/4 of the playlist.

If the festival is that heavy in EDM that could be the reason why on one hand it seems like it is a sh*tty lineup to a lot of people (as EDM is just one genre basically) and why on the other hand the people that like the lineup are thrilled by it (probably people who are in EDM)

1 hour ago, Dukkai said:

I wouldn't say that it is an age thing regarding the lineup

I was listening to the official playlist last couple of days and I noticed that majority of songs/artists are EDM, like 3/4 of the playlist.

If the festival is that heavy in EDM that could be the reason why on one hand it seems like it is a sh*tty lineup to a lot of people (as EDM is just one genre basically) and why on the other hand the people that like the lineup are thrilled by it (probably people who are in EDM)

I understand EDM as  Martin Garrix, maybe Arbat at most. I cannot consider the same thing for Four Tet, Hawtin, Fred or Overmono, they all are electronic music, yes, but very different. I love electronic music, but not all the electronic names. 

I see 21 names out of 35 that are not pure electronic, so I don't see your 3/4

Edited by davidoffescassi