Fitness for Glastonbury 2024

gigpusher

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Think the amount of time I have spent walking this year is why I am so sick of rain and mud. I have made soooo many sacrifices to the weather gods!!!

Washing the dog several times a day for the last 9 months has got really tiresome as has doing 10k+ steps a day in wellies. I have bought new trail shoes in the hope that we might be able to do the steps on hard ground at some point this year but it doesn't look like it'll be in the next few weeks 

1 minute ago, EavisAintDead said:

Washing the dog several times a day for the last 9 months has got really tiresome as has doing 10k+ steps a day in wellies. I have bought new trail shoes in the hope that we might be able to do the steps on hard ground at some point this year but it doesn't look like it'll be in the next few weeks 

Try having 2 dogs with hair (not fur) who love mud. Nuala in particular has been known as Queen of the bogs most of her life!!

IMG_5299.JPG

• Like 4

I've just come back from a tour of Italy and was doing about 30k steps a day - some of which very hilly.  One day I managed to crack 40k (not intentionally, we got lost!).  Was hoping to keep up and do 10k a day on my return but failed on the second day (desk job, shopping straight after work, quick meal and meeting friends at the pub didn't allow much time).  But hope to certainly try to get each day up to a figure approaching it).

Last year after Glasto I managed to do >10k a day until August and then averaged 10k most weeks until the end of September.  But it's hard in the darker, wetter months.  I bought a walking treadmill off ebay which helped but have lapsed seriously over winter!

16 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Try having 2 dogs with hair (not fur) who love mud. Nuala in particular has been known as Queen of the bogs most of her life!!

IMG_5299.JPG

Yeh, I've got an Irish Setter/Poodle cross who absolutely loves the bog life! I have to get him trimmed quite short though because neither he nor I can deal with all the brushing

Wouldn't be without it though and it has helped my fitness far more than anything else I've tried in the past 

On 3/21/2024 at 2:39 PM, BluesManP said:

Does anyone know how many steps do you do in Glasto approximately? Approximated mininum and maximum would be great to know from Glasto veterans. Current goal is 30k steps in a day

An average would be about 30k steps i reckon. I've done 51k a day, i think thats my glastonbury max, and my lowest has been 25k-ish. Perhaps as important as steps and upping your comfortable step limit, is some leg stretches and lower back/core support for when you're stood watching a set or two - a bit of yoga is a great thing for the morning after long walks, i'm such a convert to it! 

6 minutes ago, EavisAintDead said:

Yeh, I've got an Irish Setter/Poodle cross who absolutely loves the bog life! I have to get him trimmed quite short though because neither he nor I can deal with all the brushing

Wouldn't be without it though and it has helped my fitness far more than anything else I've tried in the past 

Yes they definitely help get you out whatever the weather. Well actually as much as she likes mud Nuala's not keen on wind and rain when we are leaving. Ferris will always go whatever the weather. He's a proper good boy!

IMG_20200407_194802.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes they definitely help get you out whatever the weather. Well actually as much as she likes mud Nuala's not keen on wind and rain when we are leaving. Ferris will always go whatever the weather. He's a proper good boy!

IMG_20200407_194802.jpg

IMG_0496.thumb.jpeg.df5b0e76ac1d29112a0947a005bd10df.jpeg

ours preferred just to lie in puddles

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

IMG_0496.thumb.jpeg.df5b0e76ac1d29112a0947a005bd10df.jpeg

ours preferred just to lie in puddles

Ferris basically goes through puddles the way young boys slide around on their knees across dancefloors at weddings with absolute joy and glee 😄 

2 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

I've just come back from a tour of Italy and was doing about 30k steps a day - some of which very hilly.  One day I managed to crack 40k (not intentionally, we got lost!).  Was hoping to keep up and do 10k a day on my return but failed on the second day (desk job, shopping straight after work, quick meal and meeting friends at the pub didn't allow much time).  But hope to certainly try to get each day up to a figure approaching it).

Last year after Glasto I managed to do >10k a day until August and then averaged 10k most weeks until the end of September.  But it's hard in the darker, wetter months.  I bought a walking treadmill off ebay which helped but have lapsed seriously over winter!

The hills of Italy will no doubt stand you in good stead come June.

I try to get out no matter the weather but recently I have been feeling a little Fran Healy. I mean yes I probably did lie when I was 17 because who goes a full year without lying but it was nearly 30 years ago and it feels like the level of punishment is disproportionate to the crime.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

The hills of Italy will no doubt stand you in good stead come June.

I try to get out no matter the weather but recently I have been feeling a little Fran Healy. I mean yes I probably did lie when I was 17 because who goes a full year without lying but it was nearly 30 years ago and it feels like the level of punishment is disproportionate to the crime.

Ha ha!  Yeah, I was fondly imagining that by the time I returned from Italy, the weather would have turned a corner, I would be sitting in the balmy sunshine having my lunch with my washing flapping on the line and an early evening walk across the fields in prospect when I finished work.  Not a chance.  And it even rained in Italy.  In Naples it absolutely chucked down for a whole afternoon with rivers of water running down the cobbles.  Bah.  Maybe I lied a lot when I was 17 too.

5 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Ha ha!  Yeah, I was fondly imagining that by the time I returned from Italy, the weather would have turned a corner, I would be sitting in the balmy sunshine having my lunch with my washing flapping on the line and an early evening walk across the fields in prospect when I finished work.  Not a chance.  And it even rained in Italy.  In Naples it absolutely chucked down for a whole afternoon with rivers of water running down the cobbles.  Bah.  Maybe I lied a lot when I was 17 too.

Maybe we need to move to Spain it seems the whole population over there didn't lie. They rarely seem to get rain. My Spanish colleagues are always very jealous when I tell them about rain.

20 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Maybe we need to move to Spain it seems the whole population over there didn't lie. They rarely seem to get rain. My Spanish colleagues are always very jealous when I tell them about rain.

Surely they lie every time they say they'll do something manana? 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I'd have thought so but they maybe just take a year off lying when they are 17??

Clever bastards these Spaniards!  It's not fair cos that song wasn't even out when I was 17 so how was I supposed to know that if you lie when you're 17 it always rains on you?  And who told Fran?

1 hour ago, Beerqueen said:

Clever bastards these Spaniards!  It's not fair cos that song wasn't even out when I was 17 so how was I supposed to know that if you lie when you're 17 it always rains on you?  And who told Fran?

Same here! If only we had known!! 

9 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Oh I forgot to update this at the end of last month. I lost another 6lbs taking my total lost to 74 lbs or 33.5kg for those who prefer it that way. I also managed to hit over 800k steps for the month.

Excellent work, you beat me! (72lbs)

4 hours ago, CharlotteB said:

I've been doing these for a while now. My legs are looking amazing, and I'll be a beast in the long drops.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-66303982.amp

I'll add that to my leg excerise list.

I've 8k steps 6 out of the last 7 days but disappointed that I got no 10k step days in. It's still progress though 😌 

• Upvote 1

Chased my infinitely fitter girlfriend around Brighton this weekend as she did the marathon - ended up doing 24k steps myself with plenty of hills

An excellent day out if you can convince any of your friends or family to run the marathon! (I wouldn't do it myself though.. looked hard!) 

On 4/5/2024 at 7:41 PM, philipsteak said:

Excellent work, you beat me! (72lbs)

You're both miles out ahead of me... 

I think this is 33lb lost, or 15kg so far, In 126 days. 

1974419458_image0(11).thumb.jpeg.91b968fbbda39c8b6cead1e0248e1aee.jpeg

For anybody that remembers my original goal... I got on Nemesis Reborn on opening day, and was able to close my own restraint unaided... So happy to report that I achieved my original goal in that sense, even if I was a few lb short of the target weight.

Now just to lose as much as possible before Glastonbury, whilst stepping up the fitness. I'm going to have to politely request that this endless rain f*cks off now, so that I can get some wild camping trips done!

Edited by Alvoram
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alvoram said:

You're both miles out ahead of me... 

I think this is 33lb lost, or 15kg so far, In 126 days. 

1974419458_image0(11).thumb.jpeg.91b968fbbda39c8b6cead1e0248e1aee.jpeg

For anybody that remembers my original goal... I got on Nemesis Reborn on opening day, and was able to close my own restraint unaided... So happy to report that I achieved my original goal in that sense, even if I was a few lb short of the target weight.

Now just to lose as much as possible before Glastonbury, whilst stepping up the fitness. I'm going to have to politely request that this endless rain f*cks off now, so that I can get some wild camping trips done!

The numbers mean nothing at the end of the day it's the health and fitness that is most important and if you achieved the goal who cares about the number. 1 lb of fat and 1lb of muscle look totally different and occupy completely different amounts of space.

I definitely second your appeal for the rain to go away as my main/only exercise is walking I have made so many sacrifices to the rain gods this year.

1 hour ago, Jacko45 said:

Doing solely hill runs last few weeks, 5ks with over 4k uphill 😕

Going to fly up the Campervan hill of dread. 

We call it the slope of mild inconvenience with that effort you can call it a mild undulation.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So April was a fairly tricky month for me work stress, 2 family bereavements etc so I was actually incredibly pleased when I stepped on the scales and discovered I had lost 1.4lb's. Not much at all but keeping up the activity levels (I averaged 24k steps for the month).

My eating was a little worse as didn't always have time to cook etc so am very happy overall.

Just 2 months to Glastonbury now. I think I will definitely be considerably fitter than I was last year so already goal achieved.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

So April was a fairly tricky month for me work stress, 2 family bereavements etc so I was actually incredibly pleased when I stepped on the scales and discovered I had lost 1.4lb's. Not much at all but keeping up the activity levels (I averaged 24k steps for the month).

My eating was a little worse as didn't always have time to cook etc so am very happy overall.

Just 2 months to Glastonbury now. I think I will definitely be considerably fitter than I was last year so already goal achieved.

Sorry for the sh*tty April but well done for staying on track. 24k steps is mad!

I've mentioned before but I've had a crap few months myself. But up until now was doing ok. And then this

IMG_20240503_112753348_AE.thumb.jpg.f211919319f43667a1a975387e9fe127.jpg

With everything that's been going on, essentially I've been neglecting myself and specifically the diabetes side of things. Got an ulcer on my foot (don't know how long it was there, like I said, neglect) which got infected. But thanks to the diabetic neuropathy I didn't notice how bad it was (wasn't getting the usual pain signals). I was taking antibiotics but because I've just moved and my new GP f**ked up my registration, getting treatment has been tricky. Finally saw a podiatrist today who basically said I need to stay off it and wear the boot to protect it. (As well as giving me stronger antibiotics) The podiatrist didn't seem TOO worried yet so hopefully should just take a bit of time. It's does have the potential to be bad though. Just have to see what happens.

But now I'm stuck inside in a sh*tty shared staff flat just as the weather is starting to improve, not able to go out and do the one thing I love for both my mental and physical health.

At the very least I'm going to be going into Glastonbury below match fitness.

Feeling a bit sorry for myself.