Football 2023/24

charlierc

10 hours ago, thetime said:

United won't get 5th, if anyone newcastle would be the team challenging spurs for 5th.

United haven't beat anyone outside the bottom 6 since start of February, that isn't going to suddenly change. Can see us finishing 7th, conference league is beckoning when we lose the cup final. 

A lot depends on our away form, which has been dreadful for most of the season. I think we could jump above Man United to take 6th, but there is a huge gap between our form at St James' Park and our form away, given our home form is some of the best in the league and our away some of the worst. Home form is bettered only by the top 3, while away form has seen us lose 10 times. Not ideal given 3 of our last 5 are away, including a game at Old Trafford.

I think top 6 is realistic for Newcastle but I think we've run out of time to catch Spurs.

Reckon the government should give ratchliffe the money for a new stadium after all so it can fail to open and we can all laugh.

On 5/2/2024 at 7:57 PM, Neil said:

Reckon the government should give ratchliffe the money for a new stadium after all so it can fail to open and we can all laugh.

Tbf it was Man City's owners behind that new Co-Op Live thing that might eventually open someday.

21 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Tbf it was Man City's owners behind that new Co-Op Live thing that might eventually open someday.

It uses the customer engagement software of a USA sports team from something I saw.

I know its the internet but there are alot of rumours flying around city have won their case and are about to get off. Suggestions they have started serving various parties with cease and desist orders (Mark Goldbridge at Utd stand) who have said city are guilty before the hearing has taken place.

2 hours ago, thetime said:

Ipswich going up.

Leeds not.

brum going down.

Good day

excellent, the prem doesn't need dirty Leeds would make the var ref's heads explode

16 hours ago, Neil said:

excellent, the prem doesn't need dirty Leeds would make the var ref's heads explode

I mean, they were there for 3 seasons with VAR and they didn't break the system.

Well unless they hire Mark Clattenburg now he needs another ref consultant gig now that he's left Forest.

On 5/3/2024 at 10:08 PM, pink_triangle said:

Im watching smashing pumpkins and weezer next month, so it better open soon!

Can't lie. I'm not confident. 

As I think I've said elsewhere, I was considering going to see The Killers at the same venue the week after, but I just don't think the venue will be ready in time. Or at least, don't feel like it's guaranteed, hence sacking it off for London O2.

19 hours ago, thetime said:

Ipswich going up.

Leeds not.

brum going down.

Good day

Ipswich is a genuinely impressive story tbf - 22 years since last in the Prem, first back-to-back promotions since Southampton and Norwich did it about 10+ years ago, and they themselves thought that success this year would just be finishing in the top half. Hopefully they won't be held back too much by FFP/PSR and can be competitive next season.

Leeds might well still win the play-offs, though I've noted none of the 4 teams in the play-offs ended the season in sparkling form. But I feel less excited than last year giving us Luton v Coventry and a play-off pair who hadn't been top flight clubs in yonks. This could easily wind up being a Leeds v Southampton play-off final imo.

Birmingham's season has been a proper what the f**k. The own goal of sacking Eustace due to a starstruck new owner wanting to work with Wayne Rooney only for Rooney to be totally hopeless was one thing, but everything after that didn't help.

Shout-out imo has to be for Sheffield Wednesday too. Genuinely looked hopeless at the start of the season, but first-time manager Danny Rohl keeping them when they looked at one point like they might not win at all this season. Good going. Maybe famous Owls Alex Turner and Jarvis Cocker will be pleased.

f**k it, might as well make it 4 posts in a row. Job done at Burnley yesterday. Absolutely did not think we'd be in with a top 6 shout a few weeks ago, but with Spurs flatlining and having a more difficult fixture list, they might be in reach.

Burnley feel like they've really squandered momentum. Were excellent in the Championship last year but they've just made some pretty poor signings.

8 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Ipswich is a genuinely impressive story tbf - 22 years since last in the Prem, first back-to-back promotions since Southampton and Norwich did it about 10+ years ago, and they themselves thought that success this year would just be finishing in the top half. Hopefully they won't be held back too much by FFP/PSR and can be competitive next season.

Leeds might well still win the play-offs, though I've noted none of the 4 teams in the play-offs ended the season in sparkling form. But I feel less excited than last year giving us Luton v Coventry and a play-off pair who hadn't been top flight clubs in yonks. This could easily wind up being a Leeds v Southampton play-off final imo.

Birmingham's season has been a proper what the f**k. The own goal of sacking Eustace due to a starstruck new owner wanting to work with Wayne Rooney only for Rooney to be totally hopeless was one thing, but everything after that didn't help.

Shout-out imo has to be for Sheffield Wednesday too. Genuinely looked hopeless at the start of the season, but first-time manager Danny Rohl keeping them when they looked at one point like they might not win at all this season. Good going. Maybe famous Owls Alex Turner and Jarvis Cocker will be pleased.

Ipswich the tractor kippers.

Just now, charlierc said:

f**k it, might as well make it 4 posts in a row. Job done at Burnley yesterday. Absolutely did not think we'd be in with a top 6 shout a few weeks ago, but with Spurs flatlining and having a more difficult fixture list, they might be in reach.

Burnley feel like they've really squandered momentum. Were excellent in the Championship last year but they've just made some pretty poor signings.

I think Spurs have just done enough to stay in 5th. They mathematically need 2 wins from 4, that includes away against Burnley and Sheffield United at home. 

Newcastle only challengers for 6th will be chelsea for me, as on paper have the easier run in. If united can beat Newcastle might let Chelsea slip into 6th. 

Then it goes to the cup final, if united can somehow muster a bit of a freak win(Liverpool in the quarters) and utd will get the 2nd europa spot. 

To be fair it will be beneficial for utd to be out of Europe, we usually are by Christmas anyway. 

10 minutes ago, thetime said:

I think Spurs have just done enough to stay in 5th. They mathematically need 2 wins from 4, that includes away against Burnley and Sheffield United at home. 

Newcastle only challengers for 6th will be chelsea for me, as on paper have the easier run in. If united can beat Newcastle might let Chelsea slip into 6th. 

Then it goes to the cup final, if united can somehow muster a bit of a freak win(Liverpool in the quarters) and utd will get the 2nd europa spot. 

To be fair it will be beneficial for utd to be out of Europe, we usually are by Christmas anyway. 

... oh I'd only seen Liverpool & Spurs. I knew they had Burnley next but didn't realise they had the effective bye that is Sheffield United as a season finale. They are catchable, but I think we needed another away win or two than we have to be more of a factor.

Finishing 6th would still be an excellent achievement in fairness given how bad our injuries have been and the truly awful form we were in during December-February when I was genuinely unsure if we'd even finish top half. But it won't be straight forward. Winning at Old Trafford is something we rarely do, even if we did so in the Carabao Cup a few months ago with a reserve side that had no striker.

I guess for Man Utd winning the FA Cup salvages the season a little, but given how much Man City seem to be in steamroller mode, that's easier said than done.

6 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I guess for Man Utd winning the FA Cup salvages the season a little, but given how much Man City seem to be in steamroller mode, that's easier said than done.

Haaland getting ready for the final. 

8 minutes ago, charlierc said:

Winning at Old Trafford is something we rarely do, even if we did so in the Carabao Cup a few months ago with a reserve side that had no striker.

I think time has clouded your judgement there, you hardly had a reserve side out.

United had Martial starting, case closed. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, thetime said:

I think time has clouded your judgement there, you hardly had a reserve side out.

United had Martial starting, case closed. 

I mean, we had Paul Dummett and Matt Ritchie as starters, and a rare start for Krafth, while Eddie Howe even said we brought on first-team players like Wilson, Trippier and Bruno just for training.

But I'm aware it wasn't like we brought 11 kids out given Joelinton, Willock & Gordon were there. Or maybe Matt Targett felt almost like a reserve option given he started and got a season-ending injury after about 30 seconds.

Edited by charlierc
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I mean, we had Paul Dummett and Matt Ritchie as starters, and a rare start for Krafth, while Eddie Howe even said we brought on first-team players like Wilson, Trippier and Bruno just for training.

But I'm aware it wasn't like we brought 11 kids out given Joelinton, Willock & Gordon were there. Or maybe Matt Targett felt almost like a reserve option given he started and got a season-ending injury after about 30 seconds.

Just a typical league cup tie with 1st teamers and squad players. 

Utd had 4 1st choice starters that day(onana, dalot, garnacho,casemiro). 

6 hours ago, thetime said:

Utd without 6 centrebacks tomorrow, maguire injured now. 

😃

will anyone notice they have a sh*t defence? 😛 

• Like 1

On 5/5/2024 at 10:08 AM, charlierc said:

You wonder if your McKenna if you stick or twist. I’m not sure that’s close to a premiership top 17 squad.

As a Wrexham fan living in the midland glad to see Birmingham down as it’s a fun away game for next season. Also glad Solihull stayed down as their ground is a complete pain to get to and park.

20 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

You wonder if your McKenna if you stick or twist. I’m not sure that’s close to a premiership top 17 squad.

As a Wrexham fan living in the midland glad to see Birmingham down as it’s a fun away game for next season. Also glad Solihull stayed down as their ground is a complete pain to get to and park.

Well, Rob Edwards got Luton up with what on paper did not look like a Premier League ready squad and has given it a go in the Premier League, one that has not been far away from survival (if admittedly a run of 1 win in 15 has destroyed the survival hype train). McKenna I think has a close bond with the squad and will want to give it a shot.