Football 2023/24

charlierc

32 minutes ago, thetime said:

Didn't see it as at a Christmas do, united were awful wasn't they? 

Stats say Newcastle had 22 shots and Man Utd had 8, but that only 2 of those came before Newcastle's goal. So, I wouldn't say it was the best display ever.

Even then, Schar blocked one on the line and Maguire was offside when he turned in an Antony strike that I think was going to be saved.

15 hours ago, charlierc said:

I heard a few Scotland fans suggest that Euro 2020 in 2021 ended up feeling like an anticlimax what with 2 games at Hampden and 1 at Wembley against England, and plus the covid-time reduced stadium crowds didn't help either. So yeah, I can guess that going to Munich to play Germany in Germany for game 1 of the whole tournament will feel like a very grand event indeed.

Aye was all a bit weird. I managed to get a ticket for the Czech game at Hampden. 10,000 I think. Munich for the opening game against Germany will be crazy scenes. 

19 hours ago, charlierc said:

Stats say Newcastle had 22 shots and Man Utd had 8, but that only 2 of those came before Newcastle's goal. So, I wouldn't say it was the best display ever.

Even then, Schar blocked one on the line and Maguire was offside when he turned in an Antony strike that I think was going to be saved.

Utd have conceded over 60 shots last 3 games. 😃

21 minutes ago, thetime said:

De Gea to Newcastle? Good move, puts him in the shop window as none of the top clubs are interested.

Plays well could get a good move in the summer.

I guess we'll see. Presumably first thing we're looking at is if Nick Pope's shoulder injury really is bad enough that he might not play again this season. Dubravka is a serviceable enough number GK for now - did it before Pope's arrival ofc - with Karius a respectable-ish enough deputy, but might not be the worst idea in the world.

Haaland: 

•    "Here is the highest-paid player in English football appearing to yell “F--- off! F--- off!” at Hooper. He doubled down moments later, with a “Wtf” – “What the f---” – tweet to his six million followers."

•    The FA decision: "It is understood that the FA saw fit to be lenient because Haaland did not explicitly impugn the referee’s integrity."

But do you remember this one with Van Dijk few games ago?

•    The Liverpool captain remonstrated with referee John Brooks, telling him his decision was a “f**king joke,” before an incident involving fourth official Craig Pawson as he headed down the tunnel.

•    The FA decision: FA had banned Van Dijk for an additional game and fined him £100,000. Remarkably, that £100,000 fine is one of the worst ever issued to a player in the history of the Premier League.

Hmmm... Everton-Newcastle looked even until Trippier's blunder for their two goals, and we had nothing in the tank to respond with. Dang. With the fight for the European spots looking very competitive this season, we could've done with better from that. But maybe that's all we have in the tank with our comically bad injury record.

Spurs away at the weekend is an odd game in prospect. Spurs' own injury record means they've had a wobble, whereas we only seem to play well at home. So... 0-0?

Hmmm... Everton-Newcastle looked even until Trippier's blunder for their two goals, and we had nothing in the tank to respond with. Dang. With the fight for the European spots looking very competitive this season, we could've done with better from that. But maybe that's all we have in the tank with our comically bad injury record.

Spurs away at the weekend is an odd game in prospect. Spurs' own injury record means they've had a wobble, whereas we only seem to play well at home. So... 0-0?

A few teams suffering from injuries more than usual. 

United have suffered more than most. Even now are missing our 1st choice centre backs and 1st choice central midfielders. 

3 hours ago, thetime said:

A few teams suffering from injuries more than usual. 

United have suffered more than most. Even now are missing our 1st choice centre backs and 1st choice central midfielders. 

Spurs v Newcastle at the weekend is going to be a case of who's fit can play for both, given both are missing players all over the place and have according to a list the most injuries of everyone. But yeah Brentford, Brighton, even Luton and Sheffield United are all having starters missing through injury, plus Man Utd's own issues as disclosed.

Well, football is never the most predictable of things and thinking in pre-season that Aston Villa would be closer to top spot than Spurs, Man United, Newcastle or Chelsea wasn't exactly high on my list. But a week of beating Man City & Arsenal means we might need to start taking them seriously for Champions League at least.

Man United losing at home to Bournemouth and being a VAR call away from losing 4-0, by contrast, and losing Bruno Fernandes for Liverpool away next week to a 5th yellow... ouch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well, football is never the most predictable of things and thinking in pre-season that Aston Villa would be closer to top spot than Spurs, Man United, Newcastle or Chelsea wasn't exactly high on my list. But a week of beating Man City & Arsenal means we might need to start taking them seriously for Champions League at least.

Man United losing at home to Bournemouth and being a VAR call away from losing 4-0, by contrast, and losing Bruno Fernandes for Liverpool away next week to a 5th yellow... ouch.

villa haven been going great under emery, arsenal will soon regret sacking him.

3 hours ago, charlierc said:

Well if Arsenal win something this year they might be okay with their choice. Though it does look in retrospect that Emery was fired in haste

emery has a great record not surprised to see him doing well with villa

Hmmm... if Everton was the game too far, a super-quick Spurs looking to prove a point was the game too far x 1000. Plus the defence were all awful and Dubravka provided a demonstration as to why the De Gea link isn't occurring in a vacuum.

I read somewhere that between the Spurs and Newcastle squads, there were 21 injured players out of a registered 50 first teamers. Thats absolutely ridiculous! They're coming back in dribs and drabs for spurs now, and it makes such a difference - give it a couple of weeks and newcastle will start drastically improving, just in terms of having some fresh legs about, even if they're not at their best or necessarily first XI choice. Trippier was blowing out of his arse, it cant be fun having Sonny running at you time and again . . . 

just read this about dom mateo...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/11/dominic-matteo-brain-tumour-liverpool-leeds-memory 

having had a brain injury myself i can sympathise and relate  to what is said. (particularly the part about a meal deal).

i wish him the best of health. all he can do is try to recover.

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I read somewhere that between the Spurs and Newcastle squads, there were 21 injured players out of a registered 50 first teamers. Thats absolutely ridiculous! They're coming back in dribs and drabs for spurs now, and it makes such a difference - give it a couple of weeks and newcastle will start drastically improving, just in terms of having some fresh legs about, even if they're not at their best or necessarily first XI choice. Trippier was blowing out of his arse, it cant be fun having Sonny running at you time and again . . . 

I've noted Spurs' problems don't seem as bad - Davies out of position as a centre-back and ofc still not having Maddison are drawbacks, but they do seem to have eased in the last few weeks after getting quite bad around the Wolves/Villa defeats.

Newcastle's problems appear two-fold, given both having over 12 players injured/suspended and also it turns out modern football means playing the same 11 for 90 minutes for 5 games in 15 days isn't practical anymore. Hence turning up at Tottenham looking tired from pretty much the 15th minute. Trippier kinda sums it up given he made errors for all 3 of Everton's goals the previous Thursday, and then was unable to stop Son/Udogie down his side pretty much all game long. Guess the only upside to him being banned for Fulham on Sat is that he can be rested. 

Wednesday night will be interesting. I gather Milan are missing Rafael Leao, who I think is a great footballer, plus another key attacker and no fewer than 5 centre-backs, leading to having to play somebody out of position in defence to compensate. Might well be that its least broken wins or something.