West Holts Bar Quiz?

jow95

I was once taken to a quiz in the west Holts bar on a wet Wednesday or Thursday. Does anyone know if this still happens?

We've talked about doing it again each year we've gone back but never am have and I can't see anything mentioned on the lineup for the bar.

8 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

It happened last year on Weds. My team won, but as i'm not going this year [yet] you might have a chance.

Any idea of time?

did you win owt? Not that it matters, you won the ability to be smug on a niche online forum. 

37 minutes ago, jow95 said:

Any idea of time?

did you win owt? Not that it matters, you won the ability to be smug on a niche online forum. 

Pretty sure it was early evening, 4 or 5pm. We won a drink each from the bar but, as you say, being able to boast is the biggest prize. They also had a table tennis competition on the Saturday or Sunday afternoon, my wife came second and she won a badge that said Table Tennis Queen or something.

Edited by Johnnyseven

Do they have more than one quiz? My team definitely won the West Holts bar quiz on Wednesday last year 😂 (unless you're talking about a different year @Johnnyseven?)

It started at 4pm ish and won a £50 bar tab which was very welcome! I'm also not going (as yet) otherwise will be there to retain the title!

11 minutes ago, franks said:

Do they have more than one quiz? My team definitely won the West Holts bar quiz on Wednesday last year 😂 (unless you're talking about a different year @Johnnyseven?)

It started at 4pm ish and won a £50 bar tab which was very welcome! I'm also not going (as yet) otherwise will be there to retain the title!

Definitely last year, it was the West Holts Crew Bar though - i've only ever had access to it last year so the year is definitely correct. If this thread is about a public bar I apologise, I didn't realise there were 2 West Holts quizzes. 

7 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Definitely last year, it was the West Holts Crew Bar though - i've only ever had access to it last year so the year is definitely correct. If this thread is about a public bar I apologise, I didn't realise there were 2 West Holts quizzes. 

No need to apologise! I didn't mean for it to sound accusatory, sorry 😊 makes perfect sense - I was a punter last year, this was in the Shelter bar in West Holts. Congrats on your win! Excellent to know that there are 2 quizzes on the off chance I get in to work it....

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, franks said:

No need to apologise! I didn't mean for it to sound accusatory, sorry 😊 makes perfect sense - I was a punter last year, this was in the Shelter bar in West Holts. Congrats on your win! Excellent to know that there are 2 quizzes on the off chance I get in to work it....

I vaguely remember it being a quiz about Glastonbury, you remember if that was the case last year?

1 hour ago, Johnnyseven said:

It happened last year on Weds. My team won, but as i'm not going this year [yet] you might have a chance.

Ha! My team came second to you guys! Was bloody close and we were convinced at one point that we had that £100 bar tab in the bag.

** Just seen your follow up post. Ours was in the public bar. So yeah it definitely happens there in the main West Holt's bar. It's actually a really well put together pub quiz with some rough questions!

Edited by Familiar2billions
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, franks said:

Congrats on your win too. If we both end up with volunteering positions maybe we should team up!

15 minutes ago, jow95 said:

I vaguely remember it being a quiz about Glastonbury, you remember if that was the case last year?

There was defo a Glasto round, and a lot of music themed questions plus intros round but there was also the usual general knowledge and news rounds too - was a good long quiz on a sunny Wednesday afternoon in my favourite place, the dream!

27 minutes ago, Johnnyseven said:

Congrats on your win too. If we both end up with volunteering positions maybe we should team up!

Definitely! Looks like we could have some healthy competition too!!

On 6/1/2023 at 9:52 AM, jow95 said:

I was once taken to a quiz in the west Holts bar on a wet Wednesday or Thursday. Does anyone know if this still happens?

We've talked about doing it again each year we've gone back but never am have and I can't see anything mentioned on the lineup for the bar.

Its just been added to the schedule! 1:30-3pm thurs

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gfa said:

Its just been added to the schedule! 1:30-3pm thurs

will try and convince my partner and her dad to come down for this one. Always love a pub quiz.

We won't win being a 3-person team but will be a larf nonetheless

27 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

will try and convince my partner and her dad to come down for this one. Always love a pub quiz.

Never been but i'm sure you could find a couple to pair up with or something! 🙂 

58 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

We were a 3 person team and won, so don't count yourself out! It was definitely suited to our collective knowledge though, made getting through the £50 bar voucher a fun challenge when were already a few pints deep....

Edited by franks

39 minutes ago, franks said:

We were a 3 person team and won, so don't count yourself out! It was definitely suited to our collective knowledge though, made getting through the £50 bar voucher a fun challenge when were already a few pints deep....

between us all we will lord it then! hahahahaha

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Never been but i'm sure you could find a couple to pair up with or something! 🙂 

might well do! If we don't though £50 bar tab if we win will be a challenge but I'm sure we can figure it out. Double spirits for the win 😄

I did the quiz in 2016. Wednesday night I think. And we won £50 behind the bar for coming first. An hour so later, they did the quiz again with exactly the same questions. But we thought it not sporting to enter again.

Wretched hangover the next day. I had planned to partake in the 5km run, but that was off the cards for me.

On 6/2/2023 at 4:23 PM, maelzoid said:

I did the quiz in 2016. Wednesday night I think. And we won £50 behind the bar for coming first. An hour so later, they did the quiz again with exactly the same questions. But we thought it not sporting to enter again.

Wretched hangover the next day. I had planned to partake in the 5km run, but that was off the cards for me.

We were there, arrived a few questions in though so we sort of did the quiz in our heads and not on paper