One for people with periods - chats, support and advice!

caroline1975

Having a Mirena completely stopped my periods and I couldn’t be happier about it! I know some have the opposite experience though. Too late for this year now but I’ve been told you should delay the period the month before your event to avoid having to take them while at the actual event. 

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

Its certainly an interesting first post but this isn't MN so I won't go down that road. I would be another vote normally for period pants but storage problems wouldn't lead me down that path at a festival as much as I love them.

dying to know what MN means...

1 minute ago, giantkatestacks said:

Yeah on Mumsnet there are often first time posters who start off with period questions and then descend into wanting to know intimate details often about teenage girls. Its sadly a thing.

oh!! oh no!!

3 hours ago, caroline1975 said:

Thank you everyone for their replies and advice! It's nice to hear about experiences. 🙂

For those of you who have taken the delay tablets (especially the Boots ones - Norethisterone, I think) - do you know if are they safe to mix with alcohol?  I think I'll find out when I do the online consultation, but I was wondering if you knew. 

@Bike_Like_A_Mum @phillyfaddle @amfy

I was also considering taking the delay tablets this month, but my period came earlier than planned... so too late for me now!

And I totally relate to not wanting anything hormonal @hannahlmoore, I'm the exact same! Had a bad experience will hormonal pill and since then I've avoided any hormonal treatments... but I think in this case it's worth a try. It's only temporary so I'm hopping it will be ok. Fingers crossed there aren't any horrid side effects! 

I can’t remember being told not to drink and neither can I remember drink having more of an effect on me. I drank - it was fine!

I think the couple of times in my life that I’ve used hormonal delay my skin was a bit worse on the next period, but nothing outrageous. No other side effects noted for me.

One of the few joys of getting older is not having to deal with all this any more!

I had my time of the month at Glastonbury 2019. I use a mooncup and it was a godsend because I hardly needed to think about it. I think using period pants as a backup would have helped even more.

I read that, hormone wise, you're actually at your strongest on the first day of your period, so it could help for the trek to the campsite!!!

4 hours ago, caroline1975 said:

For those of you who have taken the delay tablets (especially the Boots ones - Norethisterone, I think) - do you know if are they safe to mix with alcohol?  I think I'll find out when I do the online consultation, but I was wondering if you knew. 

@Bike_Like_A_Mum @phillyfaddle @amfy

Well, I drank (tons) at Glastonbury while taking Norethisterone with no ill effects. It’s probably contra-indicated though if you read the small print. Btw, I didn’t get on with the contraceptive pill at all and generally dislike taking hormonal drugs (no HRT for me!), but you only take Norethisterone for a short time, once or maybe twice a year, so I figured no harm done. My experience is not official medic advice though - if worried, have a chat with the pharmacist or your GP. Xx

47 minutes ago, amfy said:

One of the few joys of getting older is not having to deal with all this any more!

I hear ya sister! I had a uterine fibroid in my mid-forties, which meant my periods were like tsunamis 🌊 until I had the damn thing removed. No way could I cope with that at Glastonbury, so Norethisterone was a godsend. 

• Upvote 1

I’m trying to rack my brains but pretty sure there a few options for menstruation support at the festival. I can go away a do a bit of digging if it helps. There should be a moon cup stall in green futures, festival info should have a list of all the stalls & grid refs.  

In 2019 there where Menstrual products in the pink loos inside the shee-wees, don’t know if it was the same last year. Had to delve back through some old emails to find that! I suspect you could always message the coop to see if they’re selling menstrual products as assume they’ll be cheaper than the camp shops. 

I’m fairly sure I’ve had periods a few times at the festival, but very lucky they’re usually light. Will probably be using disposables this year as period is likely due, but have been a long-term user of reusable products. Though of late I’ve switched to CSP. I’m also lucky to be able to access staff showers. 

Maybe treat yourself to a bit of luxury in the green fields? I have a massage or treatment of some variety every festival and it’s heaven! (Not that you’d need an excuse to do so)! 

12 hours ago, Another eforum account said:

I’m trying to rack my brains but pretty sure there a few options for menstruation support at the festival. I can go away a do a bit of digging if it helps. There should be a moon cup stall in green futures, festival info should have a list of all the stalls & grid refs.  

In 2019 there where Menstrual products in the pink loos inside the shee-wees, don’t know if it was the same last year. Had to delve back through some old emails to find that! I suspect you could always message the coop to see if they’re selling menstrual products as assume they’ll be cheaper than the camp shops. 

I’m fairly sure I’ve had periods a few times at the festival, but very lucky they’re usually light. Will probably be using disposables this year as period is likely due, but have been a long-term user of reusable products. Though of late I’ve switched to CSP. I’m also lucky to be able to access staff showers. 

Maybe treat yourself to a bit of luxury in the green fields? I have a massage or treatment of some variety every festival and it’s heaven! (Not that you’d need an excuse to do so)! 

Out of upvotes but this is really useful! I'm still yet to try a cup, maybe I'll find the stall in the greenfields and that can be my Glasto souvenir this year 🤣 would be quite happy with that

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...