Site visit thread?

internetjef

Hi guys 

the good lady and I are having a weekend away near Glastonbury this weekend. 

She is suggesting going for a country walk if the weather is nice/passable. Is it possible to go for a walk across the festival site this time of year? 

I have def seen threads here before about best way to do a site visit , and also rules to be respectful of etc , but no idea how to find them.

could anyone link a thread or give me any tips ? 

thanks in advance 

maybe a pilgrimage will help with the resale gods ha 

15 hours ago, internetjef said:

Hi guys 

the good lady and I are having a weekend away near Glastonbury this weekend. 

She is suggesting going for a country walk if the weather is nice/passable. Is it possible to go for a walk across the festival site this time of year? 

I have def seen threads here before about best way to do a site visit , and also rules to be respectful of etc , but no idea how to find them.

could anyone link a thread or give me any tips ? 

thanks in advance 

maybe a pilgrimage will help with the resale gods ha 

Thread posted above is great and will be filled with loads of tips but in short:

Yes, definitely possible, a few of us from the forum went a couple of weekends ago. If you want somewhere to park then put Pilton Skateboard Park (or Pylle Road) into your satnav. You can park along the side of the road there and walk in via Mary's Gate(Brimley Ln). Just walk straight down the hill and you'll see the Pyramid in front of you.

Enjoy the wander if you do go 🙂 

• Thanks 1

This is the question thread I got advice from last Summer. Parked by the skate ramp (which has a decent view itself), followed these instructions/maps from there. We were just heading back to the car when Michael drove past and was excited to see us as we were him - all time GLastonbury highlight. Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

I could do with a site visit - from the best psychiatrist on the block!

Actually, there's a chance that I might know that person. Oh, he'll not do - he'll just nail me to the cross. It's this funky thing we've got going on. LMFAO

I

image.png.c38b857b50370eab2bc32ae6eb91eab3.png

Mas.

xxx

Anyway, swiftly back to nothing. That's it. I can go on no further. 

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like Parking by skate park for the win.

Being a bit of a city boy , just trying to get a bit of clarity here. What 

if you are well behaved and respectful can you pretty much toddle around the whole festival site as you so wish (pyramid field , stone circle, railway line , picking out fav festival spots as you go ), obvs steering clear of any animals and / or fields with activity in, or is the private land thing a hard no no 

must we stick entirely to what are considered public footpaths with no deviation whatsoever? 

don’t want to break any rules , but also don’t want to short sell ourselves.

I park outside the skate park as others have suggested. Just a heads up, if you get there around 1pm, it may be busier than normal due to a football match being on. Best bet, get there before midday if you can. I also prefer to walk down Hitchen Lane and down over, then come back on the loop and exit through Mary's Gate. Just my preference. You get an immediate view of the Pyramid at the start of your walk, which really gets you buzzing.

They're happy for you to walk through most fields, but if the gates are closed to a specific area, it's usually for cattle or work being carried out I tend to steer clear then. When you're there you'll get a feel for where you should and shouldn't go. You'll feel a little like you're trespassing at first, but you'll soon relax. And who knows, you might just spot an Eavis or two...

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, internetjef said:

must we stick entirely to what are considered public footpaths with no deviation whatsoever

Just note that the only actually public footpath runs through the west car parks and behind where the John Peel stage would be.

So if you just stick to those you don't see very much. The official build starts the Tuesday after the May bank holiday, after which it gets closed off. I think the closer it is to that point the more likely you might be turfed out. 

Screenshot_20230301-143054.png

21 hours ago, DJL said:

This is the question thread I got advice from last Summer. Parked by the skate ramp (which has a decent view itself), followed these instructions/maps from there. We were just heading back to the car when Michael drove past and was excited to see us as we were him - all time GLastonbury highlight. Enjoy!

I've been around 5 times now and always hope for this to happen, no luck so far. Always on the lookout for his pickup when wandering the farm!

• Upvote 1

As a local the route I take is to park at the Pilton coop (buy  provisions) walk down past the quirky gardens and church across the bridge to the public footpath near the tythe barn. If you take the woods to the right it’s a lovely walk and you come out on the site at the bottom. 

Then I take a walk other side of the hedge to the road up to steanbow and follow around to the disused railway line. 
this takes you past the pyramid and lots of other things. 

you can go all the way up the old railway and then walk back on the country lane taking in the sights. You can pop in St Mary’s Gate on this route. 

it’s worth it to loop all the way back through to Pilton. It’s about 11km all in I think

Cheers guys , gonna need to up my orienteering game to make sure I can get back to the car after ha 

yeah would be really keen to see the pyramid , walk the railway track line , dip off into the fields each side of it, and particularly get up to stone circle and the ground high above park where the Glasto sign lives in festival time.

always like to sit up there on Wed of festival on arrival and just look out over the festival, would be cool to see it when totally empty too 

Edited by internetjef

Made it down this morning. Absolutely loved it. So weird to see the fields empty without all the mayhem. 

Parked at skate park, strolled down through st Mary’s gate , walked near pyramid was a good start. Took the path through left field and west holts to railway line. Went up to stone circle , and managed to find dragon for the first time. 

nipped through and headed to park , got up the hill at the back to get the viewpoint. Must note there is a lot of firing clays all over upper park , so maybe give that a swerve if you hear gunfire ha. Fortunately all was quiet when we were there. Cut through other field and headed back out via pyramid.

Didn’t see Michael ha , barely saw anyone to be honest. Couple of dog walkers and a couple of people using metal detectors by other stage .

thanks to everyone here for all the helpful tips x

did a small prayer at the end for the resale gods 

took a view photos but only on phone camera so won’t win any awards ha .

popped into Glastonbury town centre after for first time which was really nice . Lots of interesting shops to potter around. 
went up the Tor after too , amazing views from the top 

• Like 3